Master / Master Compact 'beeb.mmb' file

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

Andy1979

Master / Master Compact 'beeb.mmb' file

Post by Andy1979 »

I have finally completed my project to get all of the games from 'Acorn - a world in pixels' running on my Master Compact (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22390)

Massive thanks to everyone on this forum that's solved the various compatibility issues I ran into.

The end result is the attached 'beeb.mmb' file which should run on any Master or Master Compact. Most of the games should also work on a standard B or B+, but some versions are Master-specific.

It contains all of the games from the book and the usual MMC menu system to launch them. The games include the page number from the book so they display in the right order.
AWIP Master MMB v1.0.zip
(5.36 MiB) Downloaded 115 times
screenshot.jpg
For avoidance of doubt, Granny's Garden is in the book, but not included here. The menu entry for Granny's Garden just displays a copyright message explaining why I can't include it (but if you already have it you can copy GRAN1 and GRAN2 to the SSD at *DIN19 and it should then run).

I also couldn't resist including Stunt Car Racer, Electrobots, Ravenwood and Tricky's Pacman conversion. Anything else that's not included isn't featured in the book.

In case anyone needs them, there are 10 blank 200k SSDs located in slots 200-209.

Details of which versions are included (and any quirks) are listed on this google sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Hope this is interesting/useful to some of you.
jms2

Re: Master / Master Compact 'beeb.mmb' file

Post by jms2 »

Brilliant work Andy!

I do have an MMB interface for my Compact so I'll definitely be giving this a go.
melchett

Post by melchett »

That's a great reference MMB image to sit alongside the "Acorn - A World In Pixels" book for B/B+/Master/Compact.

Love the passion you put into pursuing this to its conclusion and getting the forum members to help resolve them.

I adore the book - it's such a snapshot of my early childhood, it's such a beautiful creation and wonderful nostalgic item to own. Excellently put together too.

I feel the need to add a few Level 9 adventures to the book's list particularly this as it adds graphics on Master/Compact -> http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=2343 (and Snowball). Maybe a few Robico ones too. Loved the great literary escape in adventures.

I also think the Kieran Mockford upgrade of The Hobbit with graphics was sublime (needs sideways RAM). Again another non-graphics at the time adventure so didn't qualify for "Pixels" but worthy of mention now -> http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=2329

Thanks again for the perseverance and complementary image to the book - both are treasures.

Hope someone does one for the Electron too!

Andy
sabrodigan

Post by sabrodigan »

Thank you Andy, installing tomorrow
iomanoid

Post by iomanoid »

This is brilliant. Nice one :D
lchile

Post by lchile »

Thanks so much everything works perfectly on hoglet's raspberry Pico b-em. My introduction to BBC Micros and I bought the repress of World of Pixels that is issued on 9th Feb 2024 - looks wonderful.
RobC

Post by RobC »

This is brilliant - many thanks for your efforts on this =D>

I'll definitely be putting it on my Compacts :D
klintworth

Post by klintworth »

Works well on my Compact, many thanks! =D> =D> =D>
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”