Dunjunz is the greatest game of all time!

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

Steven666v2

Dunjunz is the greatest game of all time!

Post by Steven666v2 »

Easily my favourite game of all time never mind the Acorn. How 4 players were meant to play at the same time. Two playing two each was hard enough! Played it when I was young and completed it many times (and a few times as an adult). I used to remember the key locations for the first half of the game with ease with remembering some of the later ones. Still remembered some to this day. And thanking Stuart Lewis for his screenshot maps that show off the entire game (I'll ignore the few errors in there)!

Is there any better game out there?

My latest full, single segment run (with a little usage of Stuart Lewis's maps this time to shorten the completion length):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rbksiqyu8M
joachim

Re: Dunjunz is the greatest game of all time!

Post by joachim »

Have you tried playing the BBC version? We established in a previous thread that it is more challenging in some places (notably level 24).
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

Steven666v2 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:29 pm Is there any better game out there?
Gauntlet?
David
jubber

Post by jubber »

Agreed - Dunjunz is superb. And actually better than Gauntlet imho, although I enjoy that game too.
paulb

Post by paulb »

jubber wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:04 pm Agreed - Dunjunz is superb. And actually better than Gauntlet imho, although I enjoy that game too.
We had a lot of fun playing Dunjunz back in the day. The gameplay is arguably better than Gauntlet because each player can go off and do their own thing, and on some levels individual players can be dispatched to collect keys and generally make faster progress. In contrast, Gauntlet's gameplay quickly becomes a grind through mountains of monsters by the stereotypical dungeon-exploring group of adventurers who might as well be part of a chain gang doing court-mandated community service.

I remember being impressed by the presentation of Gauntlet at the time, and who wouldn't want the fancy graphics and sound of the arcade version? But having revisited it through the Internet Archive's collection, it seems like a victory of style over substance, and the only people collecting vast quantities of treasure were the arcade operators whose customers were having to plough vast sums to grind through all those levels.
vexorg

Post by vexorg »

I feel you need to port it over with gauntlet style graphics
David
tricky

Post by tricky »

Presumably taking the elk version and putting it to the beeb with swram and video nula should work nicely.

I did look at gauntlet, but too many stories for a straight port and if not a straight port, more gameplay would be required, which I don't do ;)

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”