Viewdata Gateway Service (BETA)

comms devices, modems, serial links, terminal software, BBS's, memories from the past, Prestel/Micronet etc
marrold

Viewdata Gateway Service (BETA)

Post by marrold »

I've created a Viewdata Gateway that offers a simple menu to access several BBSs in the hope of making them more accessible.

Many thanks to brianmartin_2001 who has been helping to test the service for some time now whilst I got to the bottom of a memory leak which should now be fixed, John Newcombe (GlassTTY) who kindly let me borrow some of his code for parsing the viewdata frame, and ZXGuesser for his excellent Teletext editor.

If you use the gateway or experience any issues please let me know.

It looks something like:

If you want to add your BBS please get in touch. It's currently limited to 10 in total due to some lazy programming on my part.

There's a few different ways you can reach it:

TCP

host: vd-gw.cutel.net
port: 6502

Telephone (PSTN)

020 3422 8439

Analog Telephone Adapter (ATA)

The service allows you to register an ATA directly, allowing you to use a traditional modem without incurring call charges. In addition it reduces the number of "hops" the call has to traverse, which should make the modem connection more resilient.

Modems over VoIP are known to be a bit temperamental so I wouldn't rush out and buy an ATA just yet until some feedback has been gathered on how others are finding the service.

For details on how to connect your ATA please PM me.

Disclaimer

The service is somewhat of a BETA / MVP / Proof of Concept / whatever you want to call it and might occasionally be unreachable, and might go offline entirely in the future.

It's also worth noting that your active viewdata traffic is proxied through the gateway, unencrypted. It's unlikely you'll be doing anything private over the connection but please keep this mind or connect directly to the BBS if this is a concern.

What's CuTEL?

CuTEL is a somewhat tongue in cheek "Telco" that was created when I ran a copper telephone network in a field at Electromagnetic Field Festival in 2022. At the time it provided access to the Telstar Viewdata service as well as support for faxing. All being well it'll be back later this year with Dial Up internet and more BBSs to play with.
brianmartin_2001

Re: Viewdata Gateway Service (BETA)

Post by brianmartin_2001 »

I have been using this for sometime in BETA mode thanks to Matthew.
It's great having a dial-up source for Night Owl now which means I don't have to use my
own modem and line. Superb work.

thanks Matthew.
Sysop of (the Night Owl BBS) nightowlbbs.ddns.net:6400
marrold

Re: Viewdata Gateway Service (BETA)

Post by marrold »

Thanks to everyone that's connected so far including a few with traditional modems via the PSTN.

I am spotting some errors in the logs with people entering invalid menu options too many times and getting disconnected. Some of these look like the usual bot activity on the internet but if you're having issues please let me know.

Cheers
Matthew

Return to “communications”