OT - How old is your everyday computer?

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
jgharston

Re: OT - How old is your everyday computer?

Post by jgharston »

I think my M128 was made in 1987, I think my A5000 was made in 1994, and I bought my Windows PC in 2009. Before I bought my M128 in 1999-ish my BBC was my everyday computer, I bought it in 1989, it was probably made in about 1985.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
iomanoid

Post by iomanoid »

My everyday-ish computer is a MacBook Pro "laptop" from 2015. Quotes because the keyboard stopped working a while ago, so it's permanently clamshell.

I've been spending WAY more time lately fiddling about on A3000s though, than using that. Perhaps more so than I did back in the day even :shock:

Most daily modern stuff I do on an M1 iPad from a couple years back, so that’s the most recent, but I don’t know if it counts as a ‘proper’ computer or not :P
arg

Post by arg »

It's not my true 'everyday' computer, but my all-time favourite laptop is a Sony Vaio U1 that I bought in 2002, and I still use it regularly today. It had just the right balance between small size and functionality - I've had smaller ones (too small to use comfortably) and larger ones (too big for a train/plane tray table, screens at risk of damage by the TSA when travelling to the USA), this was just the sweet spot. And you could get an oversize battery pack that gave 8 hours runtime in light use - which was a big deal in 2002.

It was my main laptop for a number of years (at a time when I was travelling a lot) and it became my go-to laptop for EMC testing (a common problem when EMC testing products that plug into a PC is that the PC usually fails the test before you've even attached the gadget you are supposed to be testing into it! This laptop was nice and quiet electrically). So it ended up with the right software for testing a couple of clients' products, and over the years as they've had me do new versions of those products the same old laptop comes out to run the test.

Most of the battery packs are now of limited capacity or dead, but the machine itself is still going strong.
Andrew_Waite

Post by Andrew_Waite »

sweh wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:07 pm My desktop is from 2011: HP Pavillion AMD Phenom II X4 830 (running Debian).
Great to hear that the computer is still going strong. I used to work as a device engineer for AMD. I spent four years working on AMD's 45nm SOI CMOS process for this chip, including two years at AMD Fab36 in Dresden.

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD- ... K4DGM.html
fizgog

Post by fizgog »

My current home development system is a 2019 - 16 inch 16GB MacBook Pro 2.3Ghz i9 - with parallels desktop 18 to run Windows and Linux

For work I have a 2021 - DELL XPS 13 inch 16GB 3.0Ghz i7

Also my original beeb from 1984 - still working with only capacitors bing changed
Pitfall, Gridrunner, Matrix: Gridrunner 2, LaserZone, AcornViewer, AcornPad
awilliams

Post by awilliams »

My every day work computer is a 2017 27" iMac recently upgraded to SSD and Venture and its perfectly good for the primarily sys admin things I do.

I also use a RISC OS Pi 400 most days, I recently pensioned off my 2009 13" Macbook with El Capitan because of TLS/SSl issues, and a broken keyboard, its been replaced with a 2020 m1 macbook air. There are also a couple of 2013 Dell Optiplex 9020, that are sometimes linux sometimes windows.

I have a stack of old dev stuff and device programmers and the like on a 2007 Dell Precision M4300 (Windows 7 & Virtual Acorn RO439)

Functional old gear in include RPC700, RPC600, A540+RISCiX, A4, Master128,Compact,BBC B, 486DX133 SBC with Ecolink.
Restoration projects include System 4, Filestores E01, Valiant Turtles, A4 psu.

Also the obligatory shoe box of raspberry pi with a mix or Linux or RISC OS.
Alan
guesser

Post by guesser »

guesser wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:23 pm That's a core2duo from early 2006. It's slow enough to be frustrating firing up firefox, but part of that will be that it's still running off a mechanical drive (might even be IDE) as it's not quite frustrating enough to get around to putting an ssd in and cloning it but does what it needs to.
Seeing this thread again reminds me, I finally decided a week or so ago that it was frustrating enough to bother, and swapped an old ssd in which has made a big difference.

Oh and it was indeed a parallel IDE drive in there :lol:
Various teletext things including a web based teletext editor which can export as mode 7 screens.
Join the Teletext Discord for teletext chat.
Boydie

Post by Boydie »

My son has a classic 2009 Mac Pro (thank you, Mr Hitchens) as his daily driver. Now 12 cores, 48GB, NVME drive, and RX580. Runs Monterey fine under OpenCore. Next step is upgrading to Ventura/Sonoma.

My wife has a 6-core 2009 Mac Pro (16GB, SSD, GTX780Ti) running Monterey. Again, perfect for daily usage.
photographystew

Post by photographystew »

Not my everyday computer, but my "first" computer that I got in 1994, a Compaq Deskpro 286e, the machine itself was made in 1989. It still works great and I fire it up every now and again.

My everyday computer is a boring Acer 10th gen I7 with 32gb RAM that I got in 2021, nothing retro.
Attachments
MicrosoftTeams-image (4).png

Return to “off-topic”