RiscPC won't boot to desktop

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

nicf82

RiscPC won't boot to desktop

Post by nicf82 »

Hi!

I have a RiscPC which is not able to boot all the way to the desktop. At first it was giving me an error about not being able to set up a Route - so I managed to run !InetSetup and disable TCP/IP. It seems to have fixed that problem, but now the machine just hangs with an egg timer and no pinboard. I am not very experienced at all with RiscOS, so just after a bit of advice on how to debug it. I am presuming there is something else in the !Boot command that is causing it to hang maybe?

Cheers!
Nic
Footie

Re: RiscPC won't boot to desktop

Post by Footie »

if you hold down the shift key when booting, this will bypass loading !Boot and should get you to an unconfigured Desktop. Does this work?
if so, then something in the !Boot sequence is hanging the machine.
The next thing to try is to move various Programs out of the PreDesk and Tasks folders (located under !Boot in Choices.Boot.PreDesk and Choices.Boot.Tasks) and reboot until you find the one causing the problem.
Hold down the shift key and double click on !Boot to open the !Boot folder.
nicf82

Post by nicf82 »

Hi Footie, thanks for your reply, sorry been a bit busy lately so missed the fact you'd answered till now. I am having another look at this now, so i will give that a try!
nicf82

Post by nicf82 »

Yes that worked, seems it was starting !smbserver and presumably hanging because there is no NIC in the machine!

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”