Variant behaviour of VDU31 (PRINT TAB) in VDU5 mode

for discussion of bbc basic for windows/sdl, brandy and more
Soruk

Variant behaviour of VDU31 (PRINT TAB) in VDU5 mode

Post by Soruk »

Richard Russell is holding a poll on the BBC BASIC forum concerning the behaviour of PRINT TAB when in VDU5 mode.
In BBC Micro OS 0.1, and in MOS 3.20 and later (including RISC OS) PRINT TAB moves the graphics cursor to the text cell so subsequent character output appears in the "right" place as would be mirrored in VDU4 mode. On the other hand, in OS 1.20 the text cursor is moved irrespective of VDU5 mode. The poll he is holding is to determine whether BBCSDL and BB4W be modified, as currently the behaviour matches that of OS 1.20.

This was borne out of a thread on the Distillery concerning behaviour of CLS in VDU5 mode. On Acorn kit, in VDU5 mode, CLS is identical to CLG, in his BASICs CLS always clears the text window (if they are separate) irrespective of VDU5 mode, and he was unable to find any documentation prior to the BBC Master that states that CLS should do a CLG if in VDU5 mode, yet it has always done this. Please note - the poll is not connected to this VDU5,12 issue.

Edit: Updated URL as Richard's forum has changed host.
Last edited by Soruk on Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Matrix Brandy BASIC VI (work in progress) The Distillery (another work in progress) Note Quiz (New educational software for the BBC and modern kit)
BBC Master 128, PiTubeDirect (Pi 3B), Pi1MHz, 5.25+3.5in dual floppy.
dominicbeesley

Re: Variant behaviour of VDU31 (PRINT TAB) in VDU5 mode

Post by dominicbeesley »

I have no desperate opinion though I think the 3.20 behaviour sounds more sensible - how many programs will rely on the 1.20 behaviour though?

Watching with interest as I was going to "fix" this in my 6x09 BASIC/MOS.

D

Return to “modern implementations of classic programming languages”