Saving bbc ELITE gameplay on B2 emulator’

feedback, questions and discussion relating to www.bbcmicro.co.uk
Choddies

Saving bbc ELITE gameplay on B2 emulator’

Post by Choddies »

Elite load save menu
Elite load save menu
Im trying to save gameplay permanently to my linux pc ubuntu. Im using B2 bbc b emulator to play ELITE and want to save gameplay at space stations using “save commander” “load commander” function. It doesnt work and I have been using the B2 emulator to “save state” which is great but it doesnt save once the emulator is shut down. If anyone can let me know how I can save these “save state” game saves permanently so I can load them up after powering down and rebooting next day I would be eternally grateful.
tom_seddon

Re: Saving bbc ELITE gameplay on B2 emulator’

Post by tom_seddon »

b2 doesn't support saving states to disk yet, though this has always been in the long-term plan, so it'll come eventually.

For now, you'll have to save the commander file to the emulated disk instead, as on a normal BBC. This will be easiest if you use File > Direct disc image to load the disk, as then any data the emulated BBC saves will be written back to the disk image file straight away, ready for the next run. (You can also use File > Disc image, and that'll work too, but you'll then need to remember to use the File > Save option to ensure the disk image file is updated. A bit inconvenient.)

The disk UI isn't ideal, sorry about this - direct disc image should be the default (and more obvious-sounding) option. A spring clean of this stuff is also in the long term plan, but in the short term I should at least improve the naming.

--Tom
Choddies

Post by Choddies »

Thankyou ever so much. I tried saving using the save command in the save screen (screen shot i posted) and it would say cat full or error at 00:38,0r 30. Ill go back and try again. I have been playing elite for a few days now. I used to like it a lot and still do. Funny that a game written for 32k can still hold interest. I would save to drive 0 or drive 1 and the same thing happens. I think the emulators great and really happy I get to enjoy Elite 40 years later it would be amazing if i could save game play and try and get my rating higher than harmless.
Choddies

Re: Saving bbc ELITE gameplay on B2 emulator’>

Post by Choddies »

Works perfectly thankyou for your help and letting me know it was possible. I have only just started using the B2 emulator and use the MASTER 128 (mos 3.0) emulator in Hardware> drop down menu. Is this the best version to use. What Elite do you think is best out of:
Elite A
Elite Master and Tube enhanced
Elite Master flicker free

Are there any other bbc versions you know of?

Thanks again

Simon
MarkMoxon

Re: Saving bbc ELITE gameplay on B2 emulator’>

Post by MarkMoxon »

Choddies wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:27 pm Are there any other bbc versions you know of?
This page lists all the main Acorn versions:

https://www.bbcelite.com/compare/versions_of_elite.html

Have fun!

Mark
Choddies

Post by Choddies »

Thankyou :D
Choddies

Post by Choddies »

The instrument panel has gone white. It was yellow up until this point. Im using
Elite SNG45 2nd processor vsn. Image[/img]
Attachments
IMG_2699.jpeg
SteveF

Post by SteveF »

Choddies wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:10 pm The instrument panel has gone white. It was yellow up until this point.
I'm not sure, but I have an idea that the colour of the instrument panel varies depending on whether you have an escape pod fitted or not. Did you recently purchase one or use the one you had purchased?
Choddies

Post by Choddies »

Thats what it is thankyou. I cant find a description on the objects in the radar scanner. What the colours mean? I know that flashing is being fired on and white is Thargoids and Thargoms. Yellow is missiles but green purple and blue I dontj7 know.
Thanks for all your help. I loved this game and love playing it all these years later.

Simon
joo2

Post by joo2 »

How do you load a saved game? I type in the filename, but nothing happens. Thanks.
load.png

Return to “the complete BBC games archive”