Doom2 wad developed for 30th anniversary

classic non-acorn hardware, software & languages
KarateEd

Doom2 wad developed for 30th anniversary

Post by KarateEd »

Hi Folks,

The 10th of December may have gone past and many don't know it but it was the 30th anniversary of the release of Doom.

I've created a wad file just to celebrate that fact. I've played and loved Doom for, literally, decades so thought I would share a wad file that will definitely be new to you.

You'll need some way to run it of course. I would suggest GZDoom and on their site ( https://zdoom.org/downloads ) is the engine. You'll need to bring my wad into this but if you've played Doom in the past you'll have memories of how to do that. I was using Ultimate Doom Builder so would run my wad but it pointed to GZDoom anyway. You don't need Ultimate Doom Builder to do that though, you can just set up GZDoom to bring the wad file in and it will run.

Good luck, some have run it at level 4 (Ultra-Violence) but I would suggest you run it at Hurt Me Plenty (level 3) to start and go from there. Nightmare is, well, Nightmare!!!

Extract the file using whatever zip program you would normally use.
30D.zip
(23.41 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Last edited by KarateEd on Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
FourthStone

Re: Doom2 wad developed for 30th anniversary

Post by FourthStone »

What a treat Ed =D> Hoping to check this out when I have time next, used to love making and playing custom WAD files, such a great game engine.
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

FourthStone wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:04 am What a treat Ed =D> Hoping to check this out when I have time next, used to love making and playing custom WAD files, such a great game engine.
Yes, I started this about 2 weeks before the 10th and got it finished on the 7th. I was originally making it for the NeXT community and their page but also wanted to put it up here on the 10th. Edsheimer set in and I forgot but only 2 days off. Have fun FS.

btw, Ultimate Doom Builder is what I used to build the wad and tested with GZDoom.

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

Naming the map lump "30A" doesn't make it the most intuitive to play (on any engine)!
Nonetheless, I'll be checking this out later.

Will you be running an HSC on it? :lol:
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

The "monster closet" traps and that light drop were classic Doom, but things like the monster pits in the outdoor area seemed a bit useless, and I was thoroughly confused by the (appearing) maze - as it was entirely possible to play through without even triggering it. The use of water as an insta-death hazard really raised an eyebrow too, as Doom has nukage and hellslime "liquid" floors which are much more customary to use for such things. Still, it was a fun little diversion for 5 mins :D

Note: it's a bad idea to interchange flats and textures - if you're aiming for general compatibility - as that's not supported by all Doom ports, and will lead to visuals such as this:
Coop-20231213-211830.png

The only other thing to bear in mind for future reference is making the teleport lines a repeatable action. Being as the monsters can use them too then that could (potentially) break your teleport before the player gets chance to use it :wink:
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Cybershark wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:42 pm The "monster closet" traps and that light drop were classic Doom, but things like the monster pits in the outdoor area seemed a bit useless, and I was thoroughly confused by the (appearing) maze - as it was entirely possible to play through without even triggering it. The use of water as an insta-death hazard really raised an eyebrow too, as Doom has nukage and hellslime "liquid" floors which are much more customary to use for such things. Still, it was a fun little diversion for 5 mins :D

Note: it's a bad idea to interchange flats and textures - if you're aiming for general compatibility - as that's not supported by all Doom ports, and will lead to visuals such as this:

The only other thing to bear in mind for future reference is making the teleport lines a repeatable action. Being as the monsters can use them too then that could (potentially) break your teleport before the player gets chance to use it :wink:
When you say monster pits are you talking the round middle room? If so, yes, after I'd built and sent out the wad I realized (yesterday) that it was possible to play 'around' the water pit of death. You are the first one to recognize it. When a person is their own tester then they may miss stuff. If that way was blocked then the maze would make sense. I'll be putting something in there to make the maze a 'must' go.

About the textures and flats......what were you using that caused this to give that result? You're also the first to see that result.

On the slime instead of 'harmless' water, that was just a personal choice. Doom allows you to do what you want and because it's such a small wad I decided to put in a trap that might catch you one time as it looks as if you could run across it in one go even if you lost 20%. Of course you found out that wasn't possible.

As for the teleport, it was one of the first things I did and probably made it in an unconventional way (using individual lines) but....at least then 3 lines were still 'teleportable'. I will fix the repeatable function on it so it will always work. You've figured out a 'bug' for me here.

Anyway, mabye next time I do a wad I'll send it to you first for a test run through so I can see these things from other eyes. When you create and try to debug your own designs then it's difficult, especially when you want to get it done in a certain amount of time.

As far as the name, I know it's not convention but I wanted to just use something that pointed to the 30th anniversary. People can change the name to make it work the way the want, if they wanted to.

This wad was just my way of 'celebrating' the 30th anniversary of the release of Doom. I'm not a professional 'wadder', I've only ever done a couple other wads in the old days using much less reliable tools so my wad building skills at best are amateur. The fact I got it finished with mostly everything working as it should was a feat for me.

Thanks for the critique and one more thing, did you write somewhat professional wads bitd?

And no, it will not show up on the HSC. It doesn't fit the criteria but then, you knew that......

Thanks.

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

OK,

In response to CyberShark's critiques I've updated the wad file to hopefully address all the concerns he had and I'm grateful he did. Being your own tester isn't the best way to find flaws, especially when you have a self-imposed deadline.

I'm attaching the updated wad here and also at the beginning so please use this one instead of the old one as this will play better (ie: you will have to go the intended routes).

Thanks folks,
30D.zip
(23.41 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

KarateEd wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:42 am...after I'd built and sent out the wad I realized (yesterday) that it was possible to play 'around' the water pit of death. You are the first one to recognize it. When a person is their own tester then they may miss stuff. If that way was blocked then the maze would make sense. I'll be putting something in there to make the maze a 'must' go.
Looking way better now! My only suggestion there is that you may like to play with something like the "donut" effect (as seen in the chainsaw room of Doom's E1M2). Give something like this a try:

water donut.jpg

There are probably better ways to achieve the same effect - I wasn't familiar with this exact special action, so may have put weird values in there!
KarateEd wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:42 amAbout the textures and flats......what were you using that caused this to give that result? You're also the first to see that result.
I was using Zdaemon, but any older Boom-based port would give a similar result. It's still present in places on your newer build:

Coop-20231215-230414.png

Best way to avoid this - unless you're specifically aiming for compatibility - is to switch off the mixing of resources in your Doombuilder config file. However, as you're mapping in Zdoom (Doom in Hexen) format then I guess that's not (generally) a consideration.
KarateEd wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:42 amAs for the teleport, it was one of the first things I did and probably made it in an unconventional way (using individual lines) but....at least then 3 lines were still 'teleportable'. I will fix the repeatable function on it so it will always work. You've figured out a 'bug' for me here.
Much better. Nothing wrong with using individual lines for it, but you may still wish to flip the facing of those linedefs, so the teleport is triggered by being walked onto, rather than off of.

Only other couple of issues I note on this map are that the red key is only for decoration. Was this intended? I guess it's more of a red herring key :lol:
Oh yes, and it's possible to strafe-run (or jump over) the wall that rises in the initial corridor :P
KarateEd wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:42 amAnyway, mabye next time I do a wad I'll send it to you first for a test run through so I can see these things from other eyes. When you create and try to debug your own designs then it's difficult, especially when you want to get it done in a certain amount of time.
Absolutely! Would be more than happy to cast an eye over anything you create :)
Can't argue with what you say about trying to get things perfect, within time constraints, and without any creative oversight. Has tripped me over on many an occassion!
KarateEd wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:42 amAs far as the name, I know it's not convention but I wanted to just use something that pointed to the 30th anniversary. People can change the name to make it work the way the want, if they wanted to.
Understood. The problem is that - without any documentation - if you're unwilling to install a level editing tool, you will have no clue how to guess the map name. A better way here would have been to stick to the convention of having it as MAP01, and then using a lump editor - such as SLADE - to create a MAPINFO or DEHACKED entry to rename the map (from the default name of "Entryway").
KarateEd wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:42 amThanks for the critique and one more thing, did you write somewhat professional wads bitd?
No probs. I guess you could say that I have some "professional" standard releases, although my focus was on PvP gamemodes. My peak active period was circa the first decade of the 2000s, which doesn't really class as "back in the day". But yeah, I certainly went around the block a few times there, with maps, mods, reviews and gamemodes to my name, and I'm still semi-active today.

You might find something familiar in this old creation of mine :wink:

DM-20231216-181326.png
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Cybershark wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:21 pm
Looking way better now! My only suggestion there is that you may like to play with something like the "donut" effect (as seen in the chainsaw room of Doom's E1M2). Give something like this a try:
Ah, nice idea, I'll have to remember that. Most of this map was done on the fly without regard for doing anything other than from memory of a ton of years ago and things that I enjoyed seeing.
Cybershark wrote: There are probably better ways to achieve the same effect - I wasn't familiar with this exact special action, so may have put weird values in there!
There may be but it looks to me like that would work fine until something better could be found.
KarateEd wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:42 amAbout the textures and flats......what were you using that caused this to give that result? You're also the first to see that result.
Cybershark wrote:I was using Zdaemon, but any older Boom-based port would give a similar result. It's still present in places on your newer build:

Best way to avoid this - unless you're specifically aiming for compatibility - is to switch off the mixing of resources in your Doombuilder config file. However, as you're mapping in Zdoom (Doom in Hexen) format then I guess that's not (generally) a consideration.
Yeh, I guess that's the problem. I can't easily see the areas the problems are, think I'll leave this one for now. I may change my settings for future wads.
Cybershark wrote:Much better. Nothing wrong with using individual lines for it, but you may still wish to flip the facing of those linedefs, so the teleport is triggered by being walked onto, rather than off of.
Ah yes, that's why that's happening, thank you......I did say I'm old and it's been a long, long time since I did anything. Seems I'm relearning a ton of stuff.
Cybershark wrote:Only other couple of issues I note on this map are that the red key is only for decoration. Was this intended? I guess it's more of a red herring key :lol:
That's funny you should say that, basically that's exactly what it's for, just to appear somewhere on the map, not really useful at all but what is a Doom wad without a key somewhere.
Cybershark wrote:Oh yes, and it's possible to strafe-run (or jump over) the wall that rises in the initial corridor :P
Oh, never even thought of trying that. I guess the wall needs to be higher.
Cybershark wrote:Absolutely! Would be more than happy to cast an eye over anything you create :)
Thanks, I can see that as being very useful and I appreciate it.
KarateEd wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:42 amAs far as the name, I know it's not convention but I wanted to just use something that pointed to the 30th anniversary. People can change the name to make it work the way the want, if they wanted to.
I guess I should have put a txt file with the wad in the zip just to identify that.
Cybershark wrote:You might find something familiar in this old creation of mine :wink:
Well, yes, I do believe Doom The Sentinel of Beeb land has made an appearance......
Last edited by KarateEd on Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Doom, now there's a blast from the past. I'll have to dig out my old DOS PC and have a go. BITD our lads had all the whistles and bells for Doom. We had a Doom editor and Wads that gave us Aliens to fight or even Daleks as I remember. Fond times.
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

flaxcottage wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm Doom, now there's a blast from the past. I'll have to dig out my old DOS PC and have a go. BITD our lads had all the whistles and bells for Doom. We had a Doom editor and Wads that gave us Aliens to fight or even Daleks as I remember. Fond times.
Have fun John, it's not a big level but I think it's got some entertainment value in it.

Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

KarateEd wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:44 pmI did say I'm old and it's been a long, long time since I did anything. Seems I'm relearning a ton of stuff.
Had the same problem myself - both on the Beeb and with Doom modding - when I've let things slide for a couple of years!
KarateEd wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:44 pm
Cybershark wrote:Oh yes, and it's possible to strafe-run (or jump over) the wall that rises in the initial corridor :P
Oh, never even thought of trying that. I guess the wall needs to be higher.
The height that the wall raises to is fine but a strafe-run allows or jump allow you to clear it before it has chance to raise enough to block the player.
KarateEd wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:42 amI do believe Doom The Sentinel of Beeb land has made an appearance......
Bingo! Doom's Archvile turns out to have a very similar effect on the player :lol:
If you're interested, here's a project of mine that's been WIP since 2006 ( :roll: ):
wolfen_c7.zip
(2.67 MiB) Downloaded 6 times

It seems to work fine on GZDoom, but is Deathmatch, so there's nothing to fight in there (although there are a few monsters sprinkled about).
Contains maps01-11, mostly quite complete. The map layouts of MAP03 and MAP11 were not created by me, but I did all the texturing and detailing to them.
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

flaxcottage wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pm Doom, now there's a blast from the past. I'll have to dig out my old DOS PC and have a go.
I still remember the first time I went from playing it on a PC with no soundcard - back before they came as standard - to hearing my first Cacodemon hiss at me :D
flaxcottage wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:03 pmBITD our lads had all the whistles and bells for Doom. We had a Doom editor and Wads that gave us Aliens to fight or even Daleks as I remember. Fond times.
The editing tools - and Doom engine forks - have come a long way since then :lol:
As for all that content, it's all still out there on the net, and very easy to come by! AliensTC remains awesome, and there are newer Aliens mods out there now too, although that stuff will not run on the original Doom engine.

If you're after a more oldskool experience then John Romero himself has just released a brand new episode for Doom 8)
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Cybershark wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:41 pm It seems to work fine on GZDoom, but is Deathmatch, so there's nothing to fight in there (although there are a few monsters sprinkled about).
Contains maps01-11, mostly quite complete. The map layouts of MAP03 and MAP11 were not created by me, but I did all the texturing and detailing to them.
What settings are you using to get it to run on GZDoom Cybershark? Or rather, where do I have to put the .wad file for GZDoom to see it?

Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

KarateEd wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:22 amWhat settings are you using to get it to run on GZDoom Cybershark? Or rather, where do I have to put the .wad file for GZDoom to see it?
Oh you can put it wherever you like, then just drag and drop the file onto GZDoom.exe :)
bob147

Post by bob147 »

I gave it a try just now with gzdoom. You do have to pull the console down and do "map 30a" or equivalent, it won't replace level 1 automatically. It was good fun, though I must admit I was hoping for perhaps one more section with heavier weapons (and nastier monsters to hunt with them). The maze puzzle was a nice touch even if I did just use the minimap to solve it :-D. I feel like for a true bbc micro / Doom crossover, I should have played it on the pitubedirect version.
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Cybershark wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:14 pm
KarateEd wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:22 amWhat settings are you using to get it to run on GZDoom Cybershark? Or rather, where do I have to put the .wad file for GZDoom to see it?
Oh you can put it wherever you like, then just drag and drop the file onto GZDoom.exe :)
Yes, then I looked at the first map, couldn't figure out how to get to the second map. Pretty nice looking map to start. Ok, got to the console, what are the commands then to load each map? I'm just getting too old and don't remember the commands for manual load for Doom.....sigh

Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

KarateEd wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:34 pmOk, got to the console, what are the commands then to load each map?
Just enter "MAP MAP02" , etc 🙂
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Cybershark wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:51 pm
KarateEd wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:34 pmOk, got to the console, what are the commands then to load each map?
Just enter "MAP MAP02" , etc 🙂
Thanks my man.....

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Had a look at your maps CyberShark. You've spent some good hours working those up. Nice job.

Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

KarateEd wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:51 pm Had a look at your maps CyberShark. You've spent some good hours working those up. Nice job.
Hahaha, I certainly did! Like I say, I started the project in 2006 and keep tinkering and adding from time to time. The build you have there is actually quite an old one, so it has a few more maps, bells & whistles now :)
Cheers for taking a look, and maybe it'll give you some ideas for future layouts!

You may have more interest in this:
xntc.zip
(967.46 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

It's the only Single Player project I ever started, and I only ever made a couple of maps for it. Only one is included here, and it's quite a small affair (as I wanted the entire map to be good for DM too). It's spread out across two files, but the drill is the same as before - select both and drag them onto GZdoom.exe.
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

That was fun, a bit small but hard enough to be a challenge and fun enough to play a few times. I can see it being a good map for deathmatch.

I also see that you've made some good pathways and can defeat the level a few different ways, depending on how you feel on a certain day.

Return to “other vintage hardware, software and languages”