New BBC Micro/Acorn Electron game: Tenebra!

Haplo

New BBC Micro/Acorn Electron game: Tenebra!

Post by Haplo »

Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce that the BBC Micro/Acorn Electrong version of my game Tenebra is finally ready: https://h4plo.itch.io/tenebra

Tenebra is an atmospheric puzzle game with rogue-like aesthetics. Guide the hapless protagonist to the exit, but also keep in mind that he is afraid of darkness and refuses to walk in the dark areas.

Move torches around, push lights on rails, find keys to doors, light up cold braziers, pass through archways that collapse behind you, find oil barrels to make your torches brighter, squeeze through cracks in broken walls, fix broken rails with a hammer, illuminate the sensors to open the exits... do whatever it takes to get out of there!

I hope you will enjoy it!
tricky

Re: New BBC Micro/Acorn Electron game: Tenebra!

Post by tricky »

Sounds amazing and the screenshots look great.
I've wanted to write a game like this but been put off by how much work it was going to be! =D>
PS It was also what made me decide against pacland.
Last edited by tricky on Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
fizgog

Post by fizgog »

Haplo wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:07 am I'm pleased to announce that the BBC Micro/Acorn Electron version of my game Tenebra is finally ready: https://h4plo.itch.io/tenebra
Just tried the first couple of levels, very impressive =D> , looking forward to playing the rest of the levels

Thanks for supporting the Acorn hardware

Regards
Shaun
Pitfall, Gridrunner, Matrix: Gridrunner 2, LaserZone, AcornViewer, AcornPad
sbadger

Post by sbadger »

Lovely game. I'd previously eyed it up on the Spectrum and really like the style and concept. A very welcome port. Thank you for your work!

Just made my way through to level 24 and really having fun :)

If I may post a couple of observations?

1) When you finish a level it seems (maybe the last key press/buffer?) the screen reveal and/or the instructions for the next level are often skipped.

2) Secondly on the BBC the utterly classic (and hard-brain-wired for many) key combo would be

Code: Select all

Z      - Left
X      - Right
:      - Up
/      - Down
That would be a lovely QoL option/change for Acorn users

Cheers
So many projects, so little time...
Iggypop

Post by Iggypop »

Always cool to see a new game..
Igor

Acorn Electron, BBC Master 128, Acorn Archimedes A3000
Haplo

Post by Haplo »

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you liked the game.
sbadger wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:00 pm 1) When you finish a level it seems (maybe the last key press/buffer?) the screen reveal and/or the instructions for the next level are often skipped.

2) Secondly on the BBC the utterly classic (and hard-brain-wired for many) key combo would be

Code: Select all

Z      - Left
X      - Right
:      - Up
/      - Down
That would be a lovely QoL option/change for Acorn users

Cheers
1) The instruction page is shown only if there are any new game play elements to introduce. Otherwise they are skipped.
The only way to skip them manual is by pressing SPACE. And the code makes sure it clears the buffer first before checking for SPACE again, to avoid the problem you mentioned. I just tested this by walking to a gate while holding SPACE down, and they were not skipped.

2) Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try to add it soon.
sbadger

Post by sbadger »

Haplo wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:37 am Thanks everyone, I'm glad you liked the game.

1) The instruction page is shown only if there are any new game play elements to introduce. Otherwise they are skipped.
The only way to skip them manual is by pressing SPACE. And the code makes sure it clears the buffer first before checking for SPACE again, to avoid the problem you mentioned. I just tested this by walking to a gate while holding SPACE down, and they were not skipped.
Thanks Haplo, Understood, thanks for clarifying the instructions. On the dungeon illuminating on completion, should that be visible for a longer amount of time?

Cheers
So many projects, so little time...
oss003

Post by oss003 »

It is indeed a nice game so I wanted to give it a try to run on an Acorn Atom.
Only needed to change the copy to screen-, draw tile- and keyscan routines.
This is the result: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zxDzuPCgg8

After adding some sound and doing some testing, I will upload it here.

Greetings
Kees
colinhoad

Post by colinhoad »

This is a lovely game! I really like it, and particularly appreciate how it guides the player through each new obstacle / tool. Really excellent, I look forward to reviewing it properly soon. Thank you!
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

I just played the first 6 levels and enjoyed it a lot

I love the concept , what a great puzzle game

Well done =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Image Image Image Image
beebman82

Post by beebman82 »

This game as absolutely fantastic, really enjoying playing it. Looking forward, and hoping, that there will be an Acorn BBC release of Tenebra 2, with all the extra features it brings. Thank you.
aidanthegasman

Post by aidanthegasman »

I'm completely dazzled by this game.
Such a simple concept, but beautifully executed in this lovely minimal monochrome style.
Beautiful, fluid animations clearly convey what you're seeing. Not a hint of a flicker.
You're walking along carrying a torch, and suddenly a wall springs up which you had no idea was there: it gives a pleasant jolt of surprise.
Really excellent work.
I suppose for the sequel one might consider a Repton-like mechanic with the player locked in the centre of the screen, but the play area larger than the visible screen. That might allow for greater complexity of puzzles.

Return to “miscellaneous new bbc and electron games”