Fuzzbuzz by "unknown author" (flaxcottage archive)

contribute new/updated software missing from online archives
joachim

Fuzzbuzz by "unknown author" (flaxcottage archive)

Post by joachim »

Fuzzbuzz (don't know how to deeplink to flaxcottage.com) is a package containing three educational games, that's currently marked as "unknown author".

I want to point out that the first game, "fuzzbuzz", is actually Boxes by Rob Pickering (published by MAPE), and the other two are Anita Straker programs, Chuffer and Bonzo (published by ESM). They've likely been modified, since the version of Chuffer mentions the word "fuzzbuzz" in its main menu which I am assuming the original version does not.
flaxcottage

Re: Fuzzbuzz by "unknown author" (flaxcottage archive)

Post by flaxcottage »

I am at somewhat of a loss here. :?

Fuzzbuzz on the Educational Archive has only two menu items - Fuzzbuzz and Sentences (Fuzzbuzz). Bonzo is not on the menu. This does appear to be an amateur compilation made for Miles Hill school as suggested.

Sentences(Fuzzbuzz) does indeed resemble Chuffer by Anita Straker and has probably been customised by whomsoever compiled the disc for the school. That sort of activity happened a lot BITD. Teachers modified software to better suit their students. I remember doing that a lot to get software to work on our Econet; Esc and Break were trapped so that a student could not end the program without remaining in the CAL menu system we had set up. Printing routines were changed to match our Canon printers.

I'll update the program description for Sentences (Fuzzbuzz) to reflect this.

I've looked up the program 'Boxes' by Rob Pickering and do not appear to have it either under his name or as a MAPE title. Do you have a copy? If so I'd be grateful of an image to add to the Archive. A Rob Pickering title 'Box Clever' is in the Archive and appears to be similar to FuzzBuzz. This, however, is part of the Microprimer series. Again, I'll update the program description to reflect this, thanks

Sorry, it is not possible to link directly to a title on the Archive. That facility was originally available but it turned out that it was a security risk. An unscrupulous person could enter the link and swap the program number for a zero. That crashed the website and could allow nefarious access. I had to rewrite the whole website to prevent no end of security issues. The downside is it stopped directly linking to a program.
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
joachim

Post by joachim »

Ok, let me try again but the corrections are going to be equally confusing:

Rob Pickering title: you're completely right, I'm completely wrong, I'm referring to the known game Box Clever, and I had thought it was a Microprimer title but somehow misread from your site that it was MAPE.

Number of menu items: here I disagree. The menu has three very confusingly-named items, "fuzzbuzz", "Sentences (fuzzbuzz)" and "Sentence order", and they respectively run programs called STAN, CHUFF and BONZO. STAN is the Box Clever version, and CHUFF and BONZO are the two Anita Straker games as you would guess from their filenames.

There is also a fourth substantial file on the disc, called FUZZ (apparently not directly accessible from the menu) and it appears to be another version of the Box Clever game.
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Thanks for the very clear description. I now have another job to do, ha ha!

I'll have another look and make sure the entry for the disc is correctly completed.

Thanks.

Edit:
The entry for FuzzBuzz has now been corrected.
- John

Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

flaxcottage wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:39 am flaxcottage
hi john,
just to let you know, flaxcottage.com appears to be down...
hope this is a quick fix. [-o<
have a good day! :D
-Elliot :)
Lover of all things acorn, but especially the 8 bits!
- bbc b issue 7 with econet- electron issue 2 - microvitec cub 653 - a420/1 -
i like to use as much original hardware as possible, and only use disk and tapes! :shock:
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Cruxinc wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:04 am
hi john,
Very quick fix. It is working now anyway. The best kind of fix possible - I did nothing. :D
- John

Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

flaxcottage wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:47 pm
Cruxinc wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:04 am
hi john,
Very quick fix. It is working now anyway. The best kind of fix possible - I did nothing. :D
great! thats good to hear! :)
-Elliot :)
Lover of all things acorn, but especially the 8 bits!
- bbc b issue 7 with econet- electron issue 2 - microvitec cub 653 - a420/1 -
i like to use as much original hardware as possible, and only use disk and tapes! :shock:

Return to “archive submissions”