Uffenkamp Computer Systems

subjects relating to classic games for the archimedes and risc pc
wmd

Uffenkamp Computer Systems

Post by wmd »

Much to my surprise, this company (based in Germany) still has old stock of a number of Archimedes titles. Has anyone here, at any point, ever dealt with them? I have been in contact with Kai Uffenkamp (presumably the business owner) and he says that he only takes payment by credit card (via email). This doesn't look safe to me at all. Can anyone vouch for them?
paulb

Re: Uffenkamp Computer Systems

Post by paulb »

wmd wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:59 pm Much to my surprise, this company (based in Germany) still has old stock of a number of Archimedes titles. Has anyone here, at any point, ever dealt with them? I have been in contact with Kai Uffenkamp (presumably the business owner) and he says that he only takes payment by credit card (via email). This doesn't look safe to me at all. Can anyone vouch for them?
There is an old but perhaps relevant thread in an Icon Bar forum about the company. I see that the company's Web site also has other forms of contact that might be appropriate if your concern is the security of e-mail communication. These are just my random observations, not vouching for anyone.
wmd

Post by wmd »

paulb wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:21 pmI see that the company's Web site also has other forms of contact that might be appropriate if your concern is the security of e-mail communication.
That's the page where I obtained their email address.
Sophira

Post by Sophira »

Regardless of the company, sending card details by email is incredibly unsafe. If they're asking you to do that, it almost certainly falls afoul of the standard needed for PCI DSS certification, which (to my knowledge) companies are required to have in order to process basically all major card brands.

I would not do business with any company that asks people to send card details over email.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

wmd wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:59 pm he only takes payment by credit card (via email). This doesn't look safe to me at all. Can anyone vouch for them?
Either the address has been hijacked or they're ignoring PCI-DSS requirements, namely "PAN's must never be sent by end-user communication technologies".
wmd

Post by wmd »

Yes, I think I will not be ordering anything. They actually emailed me again stating that they can also take direct bank transfers, but am aware that this is also not a safe method for transactions.
paulb

Post by paulb »

wmd wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 1:48 pm Yes, I think I will not be ordering anything. They actually emailed me again stating that they can also take direct bank transfers, but am aware that this is also not a safe method for transactions.
I would say that bank transfers are largely safe in and of themselves, and perhaps this is a cultural thing, but I have bought products from German suppliers where I paid by bank transfer. So it isn't unusual for them to indicate bank transfer as a payment method.

Obviously, issues around payment protection, dispute resolution, refunds, and so on are rather different with bank transfers. Unlike credit card payment, you don't get to elevate any complaints to an entity that will probably rule in your favour if the supplier fails to deliver.

Personally, if I had good enough reason to believe that this supplier had the stock and would fulfil my order, I wouldn't have any issues paying by bank transfer. But as I said originally, I am not vouching for anyone here.
wmd

Post by wmd »

I won't be risking it, my bank doesn't offer payment protection on direct bank payments. If anyone else decides to try then let us know how it goes.

According to google search, it's an actual shop that still has weekday opening hours, based in Enger. That's not necessarily an indication of much though as google info is often wrong or out of date. Seems to be a general computer shop, with a photo of the shop front from around 3 years ago.
MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson »

I used them many years ago to get a load of Eterna titles from them - can't remember how I paid for them - but they all arrived OK and without a problem.

I'm amazed they are still trading - and still have stock -but they were a genuine seller years ago and that Kai is the name same from way back then.
sa_scott

Post by sa_scott »

There's a name from the past - they were one of the overseas companies/dealers we would send copies of Acorn User magazine to during 1998 and 1999 when I was at Tau Press. Would spend a couple of hours each month batching up the mags to send to far flung places, then take the trip to Poynton Post Office just up the road with my car boot laden heavily with them.

Looking back, I really enjoyed that year in Macclesfield. I then traded it in for a job. In Bedford. Safe to say it was less grim up north!
--
Stephen Scott, Digital Media Muckerupper
Games: Androidz Redux, Headcase Hotel, Polymer Picker
www.sassquad.net
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

wmd wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:59 pm Kai Uffenkamp ... Can anyone vouch for them?
Yes. Kai's been around for a long time.
philpem

Post by philpem »

wmd wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:59 pm Much to my surprise, this company (based in Germany) still has old stock of a number of Archimedes titles. Has anyone here, at any point, ever dealt with them? I have been in contact with Kai Uffenkamp (presumably the business owner) and he says that he only takes payment by credit card (via email). This doesn't look safe to me at all. Can anyone vouch for them?
They seem to have a phone number on their website: http://www.ucs.de
Could you email your order to them, then call with your credit card details?

Regardless - it's nice to see they're still in business. They're one of the old names in the RO scene, I remember them being around in the 90s and 2000s. I shall have to contact them and see what they have left!
Questions about software preservation (BBC, RISC OS or other platforms)? Please feel free to ask.
Currently looking for RISC OS software to archive and preserve, please drop me a PM if you have any to offer.
wmd

Post by wmd »

They have a lot still in stock. If you complete a successful order please reply here to let us know.

Return to “32-bit acorn software: classic games”