New version of Phoenix for the BBC

kieranhj

Re: A new version of Phoenix for the BBC

Post by kieranhj »

Lots of love for Tricky on this YouTube retro channel review of some "recent" BBC Micro games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0gjQW7hC0o. :lol:
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/
tricky

Post by tricky »

I've got a new capture setup so thought I would post Phoenix on a real beeb with commentary.

https://youtu.be/2M8wrEFM8rU best watched in 720p on a 50Hz monitor.
davidb

Post by davidb »

tricky wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:26 pm I've got a new capture setup so thought I would post Phoenix on a real beeb with commentary.
Thanks for posting it. I enjoyed watching it. :) It's interesting to get some behind the scenes commentaries like these.
drfloyd

Post by drfloyd »

Just tried PHOENIX, OHHHHH MY GOD !!!!!!!

It's like arcade... like myselft in 1981 i the bar near the school :)

Very great job
tricky

Post by tricky »

Thanks, I should really finish it one day (it still has flicker !!!)
drfloyd

Post by drfloyd »

yes, there are some little pixel bugs with the ship
tricky

Post by tricky »

I think that this has had some fixes since the previous High Score Challenge, including:
Killing the boss bugs (may still be one left though)
Being killed after you have killed the boss.
Bits of your ship left on screen after scrolling on (I removed the scroll!)
Shooting a flying bird while it is over the mother ship causing mother ship corruption (may still be another though)
Attachments
TrickyArcadePhoenix.ssd
(13.75 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
tricky

Post by tricky »

I had 13 bytes free and managed to rearrange some code to make reducing the difficulty after dying "for free", but stopping the invisible bombs cost all of the 13 bytes. There are still a few bytes in ZP, so another tiny change may be possible!

I can't guarantee that the invisible bombs is fixed, only that in 30+ games, I didn't see any evidence of any. That is, I didn't see four bombs, when there could have been six on screen.

I did get the indestructible bit of mothership once out of 60+ attempts at killing the mothership. This is an annoying bug, but don't "break" the game I hope.

I couldn't find a possible cause for the mass corruption that was on the video, nor reproduce any corruption, not even the bar at the bottom of the shield. I mostly play on my old hacked beebem as it has my favourite debugger and that does miss the bottom line, so that is probably why I haven't seen it before. Again, this is ugly, but doesn't affect gameplay and with 0 bytes free, it is unlikely to get fixed!

So, attached is what is likely to be the last version unless I get any inspiration on the indestructible mothership or someone finds a game breaking bug.
Attachments
TrickyArcadePhoenix.ssd
(13.75 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
tricky

Re: New version of Phoenix for the BBC

Post by tricky »

Added new loader with key remapping, can still cause screen corruption on mother ship level !!!!!
Attachments
TrickyArcadePhoenix.zip
(12.05 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

Return to “trickysoft (new bbc micro games)”