New version of PacMan (PuckMan) for the BBC Micro

developing/porting a new game or gaming framework? post in here!

Should I keep full Res' or go 3/4 to simulate 60fps?

Stick with full resolution
78%
Reduce to 3/4 resolution
22%

Total votes: 23

tricky

Re: New version of PacMan (PuckMan) for the BBC Micro

Post by tricky »

Fixed the PacMan gets the top of his head cut off.
Still has a fast blue ghost.
Some reports of corrupt digits when eating all four ghosts, but I haven't been able to reproduce this!
byte free 80.
Attachments
PacMan.ssd
(15 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

tricky wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:37 am Fixed the PacMan gets the top of his head cut off.
I don't think I ever noticed this when playing on b2 - was it an emulation issue affecting BeebEm/jsbeeb, that you've managed to fix via tweaking the Pacman code? Or was there definitely something up?
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
tricky

Post by tricky »

The problem is that the lives remaining get drawn at the character vertical offset that PacMan was last at.
If you start a game when PacMan is half way between dots vertically, the lives will be drawn vertically offset.

If you are using beebjit, add -opt video:render-every-ticks=128 to the command line to stop PacMan from hiding. You can use this all the time AFAIK and remember, beebjit isn't even version 1.0 yet.
tricky

Post by tricky »

I have had a request for the source code for my PacMan, so here it is.
I am always evolving my build tools, so this uses pre-converted gfx in .EQUB files (hex) as the old build .bat won't work!
What is in the zip is everything needed to build my version of PacMan on windows.
The only external tools it uses are beebasm and my beebop compressor (shared in its own thread).
Run build_PacMan.bat to build TrickyArcadePacMan.ssd (also included in zip).
I have also described the build.bat in other posts which is run from VisualStudio with "build.bat PacMan {-v}".
-v just runs beebam in verbose mode to check what is happening at specific memory locations so is probably of no use.
because build.bat is copied from project to project and parts of it don't change, the name of the game is passed in.

I am happy to answer any questions about the code or project in general but the shorter the answer, the quicker I am likely to get around to answering it ;)

The loader is overly convoluted as it has a few stages, starting with decompressing the whole game into address 6 onwards up to &78xx (I think) including a bit of code to then shift the maze to fill what memory is left and then a final bit to do a little more shifting to leave the screen as 16K (256x256 MODE 1) and the game as 16K. I don't think that I left any bytes for the OS, not even the IRQ vector, so it waits for the IRQ to be flagged at the end of each frame - no interrupts at all. I may be wrong about this, but can't remember how I wait 4ms for the ADC to complete. I might just start a conversion before and after running a frame as this will be between 4ms and 8ms iirc. All the drawing is where nothing can move, so from the last visible pixel to the first.
Attachments
PacManSrc.zip
(116.98 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
fizgog

Post by fizgog »

tricky wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:02 am I have had a request for the source code for my PacMan, so here it is.
=D> =D> =D>
It’s great to see source code being released as it helps in getting new people involved in writing new software for the beeb
Pitfall, Gridrunner, Matrix: Gridrunner 2, LaserZone, AcornViewer, AcornPad
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

Image Image Image Image
tricky

Post by tricky »

All of my game code is available on request, I just don't have time to support it and don't do Git!
I'm happy to answer questions though.
tricky

Post by tricky »

All of my game code is available on request, I just don't have time to support it and don't do Git!
I'm happy to answer questions though.

PS It built for me locally, but let me know if it doesn't build for you.
I use win7 and run the .bat from VS.
tricky

Post by tricky »

Updated to new loader, key remapping added and SWROM loading checked.
Attachments
TrickyArcadePacMan.zip
(12.54 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

Return to “new projects in development: games”