New version of Frogger (was: A demo of what is looking like a new Frogger for the beeb)

leenew

Re: New version of Frogger (was: A demo of what is looking like a new Frogger for the beeb)

Post by leenew »

I will stick it on tomorrow :D

Lee.
tricky

Re: New version of Frogger (was: A demo of what is looking like a new Frogger for the beeb)

Post by tricky »

Thanks,
I notice that the b-em link (to sth) is to quite an old version (may still be the latest release though).
leenew

Post by leenew »

Please check all details are correct!
http://bbcmicro.co.uk/index.php?rt_R=&r ... =on&sort=u
pau1ie

Post by pau1ie »

tricky wrote: I notice that the b-em link (to sth) is to quite an old version (may still be the latest release though).
I Think it is, though the new release candidate is looking very good. I will update it when a stable version is released.
tricky

Post by tricky »

Thanks to both of you.
Looks good, but I think you could score more if you tried ;)
leenew

Post by leenew »

Hi Tricky,
Is there a reason the main file is smaller now?

Lee.
tricky

Post by tricky »

A while back I started making the main file loadable as a ROM and it had to be compressed to do that.
There should be old uncompressed and new compressed, as a side effect, it should load faster :)
leenew

Post by leenew »

8)
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi Tricky,

Ref the latest version of Frogger...

I noticed that only the ZX:/ keys work in the new version and not the cursor keys, WASD or joystick control.
The basic code looks the same, so have you broken something in the Mchine code?

regards,
Mick.
Chuckie

Post by Chuckie »

Hi Tricky
I was wondering if you consider using the same technique to convert ghost and goblins arcade to beeb?
tricky

Post by tricky »

Being a horizontal scroller it would be a better fit for the r-type demo I put up a little while ago.

I did think about it, but it is a big game and I like to kickout everything and have the machine all to myself ;)

There is hobgoblin 2 or even a beebug game.
Last edited by tricky on Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobC

Post by RobC »

Chuckie wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:46 pm I was wondering if you consider using the same technique to convert ghost and goblins arcade to beeb?
The CPC version will run on my Pi co-pro based emulator - it plays pretty well and shows what a M128 version might look like. It's still really hard though!
DaveBurke

Post by DaveBurke »

Just wanted to say thanks for writing this Tricky - spent an hour earlier with my little boy (nearly 6) playing this on "Daddy's old computer". He was shrieking with laughter every time the frog got squashed. He can just about manage to get one frog up to the top per go.

Awesome version of the game, nice one.
tricky

Post by tricky »

I've got a new capture setup so thought I would post Frogger on a real beeb with commentary.

https://youtu.be/ekcbTWSFbWg best watched in 720p on a 50Hz monitor.

It's not the Video NuLA version with the arcade colours as it is captured with one of Hoglets wonderful 3 bit RGB2HDMI (uses a PI).
dv8

Post by dv8 »

As mentioned in the other thread about making game ROMs, I've discovered a bug with Frogger when run as a ROM.

The behaviour of the keys is reversed, ie. Z moves right, X moves left etc.

It looks like the fault is in the ROM initialisation code here:

Code: Select all

&807D A9 42     LDA #&42
&807F 85 70     STA &70
&8081 A9 48     LDA #&48
&8083 85 71     STA &71
&8085 A9 68     LDA #&68
&8087 85 72     STA &72
&8089 A9 61     LDA #&61
&808B 85 73     STA &73
which is storing the keycodes back-to-front. It should be:

Code: Select all

LDA #&42
                STA &73
                LDA #&48
                STA &72
                LDA #&68
                STA &71
                LDA #&61
                STA &70
tricky

Post by tricky »

Sorry about that, at some point I removed the key mapping selection code and must have copied and pasted that long after I had stopped testing the ROM versions!
Hopefully the attached version is correct and that I haven't broken anything else!
Attachments
TrickyArcadeFrogger.ssd
(16 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
colinhoad

Post by colinhoad »

I've produced a video review of this most excellent version of Frogger here, for anyone who's interested: https://youtu.be/WwWbjov-46I

Lovely work, Tricky!
tricky

Post by tricky »

Thanks Colin, lovely review.
I think it makes a nice companion to your great top games series which I am guessing we'll be all original Beeb games.
colinhoad

Post by colinhoad »

tricky wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:36 am Thanks Colin, lovely review.
You're very welcome, pleased you liked it! :D
tricky wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:36 am I think it makes a nice companion to your great top games series which I am guessing we'll be all original Beeb games.
Yes, when I began the series it was based on a list of all-original games, so I'll keep it that way and review new releases separately. Plus it's hard to rank newly released games when they continue to keep being written! :lol:
tricky

Post by tricky »

Updated to new loader, added keymapper and checked SWROM mode.
Attachments
TrickyArcadeFrogger.zip
(12.97 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Is it possible to hold the title screen i.e. have it wait for a keypress, and you barely have a second to read the controls, or the opportunity to press K to redefine?
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!

Return to “trickysoft (new bbc micro games)”