5.25" drive

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
Moist_Mog

5.25" drive

Post by Moist_Mog »

It's been quite a while since I used this board - pleased to see that my account is still available!

After having my old BBC B restored and spending a good bit of time playing through my old games on tape, I've been trying to get my old 5.25" disk games going but without success. My 5.25" disk drive, which is a Watford Electronics system, fired up when plugged in for the first time and spins, but doesn't seem to read the disks - I tried it with several, but with the same result and I'm pretty sure the issue is with the drive but not the disks. I tried opening up the unit to see if I could spot anything amiss but without success and on putting it back together, found myself with another problem - it's no longer possible to fully insert disks, which seem to get stuck with about 1cm protruding from the slot - so I guess something inside has become dislodged...! :-(

I'm wondering whether it's actually worth trying to diagnose and fix the drive or whether I realistically need to just look for a replacement on eBay or similar - any thoughts much appreciated. I seem to recall that it would just be a case of plugging the replacement drive in as opposed to needing to open the computer case, but any thoughts on this would be much appreciated as well...

Thanks in advance!
1024MAK

Re: 5.25" drive

Post by 1024MAK »

Some drives have, or rather had metal shields on the heads. The adhesive eventually fails, the hood falls off and often obstructs the disk…

Watford as well as the other third party suppliers used “standard” drives. They did not always use the same type in their products. We really need to know the manufacturers name and model number of the drive. This should be on the rear or side on the drive chassis. Or on the board.

Other possible problems are the head(s) being dirty or clogged. The head not stepping. Plus other possible problems. Good spare drives are hard to find now, so that may affect a decision on servicing/repairing it.

The other option would be to get a Gotek floppy drive simulator. No moving parts, hence far more reliable.

Mark

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”