Planet Nubium : A game for the BBC Master

AW11Ghost

Re: Planet Nubium : A game for the BBC Master

Post by AW11Ghost »

Well done, it looks really good!
delmonti007

Post by delmonti007 »

wow......wow ..... stunning game. LOVE it!
tricky

Post by tricky »

I've just noticed that Planet Nubium 1 & 2 versions on bbcmicro.co.uk https://bbcmicro.co.uk/explore.php?id=2969 have invalid catalogues.

The files are not in sector order and the !BOOT files look a bit funky too!
They look like tokenized lines of BASIC and have run addresses of &802B (don't know which BASIC version, but maybe Master) but the discs are set to *EXEC !BOOT.

On a related note, it would be nice for the explorer view to show the start sector for each file :)

Does anyone have any idea what happened or if there is a FS that doesn't require the sectors to be in order - maybe it was a copy protection measure :O
https://beebwiki.mdfs.net/Acorn_DFS_dis ... gue_format
Andrew_Waite

Post by Andrew_Waite »

tricky wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:52 pm I've just noticed that Planet Nubium 1 & 2 versions on bbcmicro.co.uk https://bbcmicro.co.uk/explore.php?id=2969 have invalid catalogues.

The files are not in sector order and the !BOOT files look a bit funky too!
They look like tokenized lines of BASIC and have run addresses of &802B (don't know which BASIC version, but maybe Master) but the discs are set to *EXEC !BOOT.

On a related note, it would be nice for the explorer view to show the start sector for each file :)

Does anyone have any idea what happened or if there is a FS that doesn't require the sectors to be in order - maybe it was a copy protection measure :O
https://beebwiki.mdfs.net/Acorn_DFS_dis ... gue_format
The only thing I can think of is that all of the files have been overwritten many times since I made the disks bootable. There certainly is no deliberate 'copy protection' !
Last edited by Andrew_Waite on Fri Nov 24, 2023 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tricky

Post by tricky »

Thanks for confirming.

I wonder if it is an electron thing.
Which tool do you use to create the .SSD files?

What about the !BOOT file, should that just be CH."..."?
Andrew_Waite

Post by Andrew_Waite »

I create the .SSD files on a PC using BeebEm (Version 4.17), then test the game on my Master using a USB stick and a Gotek drive for file transfer.
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

Amazing game

You may want to add a *fx 200 1 to the !boot to disable the ESC key from breaking out into basic ?
Image Image Image Image
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

can you post the command line you used to create the .ssd

thanks
Image Image Image Image
Andrew_Waite

Post by Andrew_Waite »

lovebug wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:41 am can you post the command line you used to create the .ssd

thanks

Thank you for the kind feedback on Planet Nubium. Great to see Lady Bug has a superb port to the Beeb, along with the sound effects!

To create the .ssd file I use the FILE -> DISC OPTIONS -> NEW DISK 0... command from the menu of BeebEm. I edit my code in BBC BASIC For Windows, and then copy and paste directly into BeebEm. The 6502 code is assembled using BBC BASIC's inline assembler.

There are a few lines of BASIC in Planet Nubium's game loop, and it is a minor source of pride to me that the ESCAPE key works in the game :-)
Last edited by Andrew_Waite on Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

ah the .ssd creation process isn't what I was expecting at all ! :shock:

as for the esc key for me it just quit the game back to the basic prompt and I thought this was unintentional . sorry :oops:

and thanks for the kind words on ladybug :D
Image Image Image Image

Return to “new bbc and electron games from 'retro software'”