DosFS version 0.43

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

dempsey

DosFS version 0.43

Post by dempsey »

I have an iOmega 250 Zip drive and want to be able to exchange files between my PC and A3010. I have read that, if you have a DosFS version lower than 0.49 you need to update - I have found out, that I only have 0.43. I have RISCOS 3.11. I have a bad feeling that the only way I can get an updated DosFS is to upgrade the RISCOS version(?) - I am new to this, but the best thing would be if I could just download and install a newer DosFS version but is this possible and btw. where could I download this file? I am all new to using my A3010 - "I'm loving it" to use a MacDonalds expression but the learning curve is somewhat steep :-))
Sophira

Re: DosFS version 0.43

Post by Sophira »

I'm not sure what the latest version of DOSFS for RISC OS 3.11 is, but I do know that you're in luck - The !PC software, meant for the Aleph One PC card (which is compatible with RISC OS 3.11) came with version 0.49 of DOSFS.

I've uploaded the module here in a ZIP file (as the forum doesn't allow me to upload it directly). Download it, set its type to &A91, and open it with !SparkFS and you'll have the module. Double-clicking it will load it in for that session. You'll need to load it every boot, though.

If you don't have !SparkFS, it's worth getting - see below for details. Of course, you can also unzip the file on the PC and copy the module inside onto a floppy disc, if you have a drive to do so - you'll need to set its type to Module on the A3010, in that case.

If you want to use !SparkFS on the A3010 itself, you can do so. Unfortunately, it's only supplied in ZIP format itself so you'll first need to download this self-extracting version of SparkPlug, the read-only version. Set its file type to BASIC, then double-click it to get an application that you can run which you can use to extract ZIP files. This will let you unzip the DOSFS ZIP file by itself, but I'd recommend you also use it to download (legally!) the full version of !SparkFS, with which you can make your own archives too - which may be desirable if you're transferring files to and fro!

I can't help much more with the topic of accessing Zip drives, but I hope this helps!

[edit: Actually, it looks like there's an even later version available - it appears that DOSFS 0.62 is downloadable from Partis Computing's site - http://www.partis.org/support/downloads/dosfs.zip (from this page) - and testing seems to show it loads and works fine on RISC OS 3.11, so you should probably use that one instead! You'll still need to unzip it though.]
Attachments
DOSFS049.zip
DOSFS 0.49
(19.64 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Sophira

Post by Sophira »

By the way - I've been looking at your other posts and I notice you mention you're new to using your A3010.

That being the case, welcome! I'd encourage you to look at the guides which hopefully you managed to get along with the computer - they'll help you get to grips with the computer and with RISC OS. If you didn't, people have thankfully archived them in PDF format so you can look at them on your PC if you want. Here's the guides you'll want to read (thanks to 4corn Computers for hosting all of these):
You should also have two Applications Discs, labelled Application Disc 1 and Application Disc 2 (also known as App1 and App2). The first of these will contain the !System app, which contains your modules. You'll need this in order to use !SparkPlug and !SparkFS - just make sure the Filer has seen the app by opening up the disc, and then it should work. (If you have a hard disc, the applications will probably be on there instead.)

If you need any assistance, anybody here will be happy to help.

[edit: Sorry, my bad - the A3010 came with one Applications Disc that contained both App1 and App2! In this case the !System app will just be on the root of that disc.]
dempsey

Post by dempsey »

Many thanks for the DosFS upload and all the description :-). I usually try out stuff without reading the manual, but there's just so many things here that I am not used to, so I've decided that if ever there was a good time to read a manual, this is the time, so thanks for the link. :-)
AndyMc1280

Post by AndyMc1280 »

http://www.partis.org/support/main.php? ... 577dueqmj5

Partis software also has 0.62 which runs on Risc OS 3.1

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”