Some RaspberryPis now available

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
a1exh

Re: Some RaspberryPis now available

Post by a1exh »

CPC have emailed me saying my 21 months old Pi Zero 2W order will be fulfilled next month. Fingers crossed.
Last edited by a1exh on Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Principal ASIC Engineer
RetroGeek
Acorn Electron + A310 + A5000
http://thalion.atari.org
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

a1exh wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:25 pm CPC have emailed me saying my 4yo Pi Zero 2W order will be fulfilled next month. Fingers crossed.
Same with my comparatively young May '22 order... Due on 18th Aug. Fingers fully crossed. Now I just need to remember why I ordered them...
scruss

Post by scruss »

a1exh wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:25 pm CPC have emailed me saying my 4yo Pi Zero 2W order will be fulfilled next month. Fingers crossed.
That's a bit clever seeing as it was only released less than two years ago: October 28th 2021
Ukwebb

Post by Ukwebb »

I guess nows not the time to tell you ive got one, still sealed in its bag, completely unused .. :/
BBC Bs, Master 128s, Master Compact, and Electrons, and an A3000 with an ARM3 :)

Don’t Panic and Always Carry a Towel
a1exh

Post by a1exh »

scruss wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:08 am
That's a bit clever seeing as it was only released less than two years ago: October 28th 2021
Touche, I could have sworn it was longer ago, during lockdown but I stand corrected.
Principal ASIC Engineer
RetroGeek
Acorn Electron + A310 + A5000
http://thalion.atari.org
scruss

Post by scruss »

The release date of the Zero 2W is something I won't forget. I was working for a Raspberry Pi "Approved reseller"* at the time, and Raspberry Pi launches were cloaked in secrecy. It would have helped if Raspberry Pi Ltd had stock ready for global launch, but the rest of the world got theirs 2-3 weeks after the UK.

I am no longer a reseller, approved or otherwise.

---
*: approved reseller doesn't really mean much now that industry gets first dibs on any production. Things went very sideways when a now-former manufacturing partner tried to sidestep the approved resellers, too.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

Z2W in at Pimoroni. I just snagged one.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Right, I signed up with Pi Hut and Pimoroni to be notified when they have stock of Pi Zero 1.3 (even though I already had notifications with Pi Hut at 2 other e-mail addresses, but they don't send you a confirmation, so I don't know when I signed up). So 14th July 2023 is now the confirmed date from which we can decide whether they are actually going to make any before they go obsolete in January 2026.
paulb

Post by paulb »

BeebMaster wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:29 pm Right, I signed up with Pi Hut and Pimoroni to be notified when they have stock of Pi Zero 1.3 (even though I already had notifications with Pi Hut at 2 other e-mail addresses, but they don't send you a confirmation, so I don't know when I signed up). So 14th July 2023 is now the confirmed date from which we can decide whether they are actually going to make any before they go obsolete in January 2026.
From watching that interview with Eben Upton a while back, I think the conclusion was that non-commercial users are being encouraged to adopt the Pi Zero 2 series because commercial users are still trying to make products based on the original Pi Zero series and won't have "qualified" them against the potentially incompatible or unsuitable newer product. Pi Zeros without wireless networking are desirable to certain commercial users who cannot have their gadgets going online, so that is also a consideration that influences demand and availability.

So, they are trying to shape the demand for products in a way that appeals to people's opportunistic side. I am sure economists would find the strategy of managing availability during periods of scarcity to be an unusual one. It was said that they didn't want to raise prices, so as to protect various customer groups, but that just resulted in available units immediately getting snapped up and sold on at a considerable mark-up. But they evidently didn't want to intervene in the market, either.

An arguably better strategy might have involved reserving a certain quantity of units for those price-sensitive customers who genuinely needed them, providing a mechanism for organisations to apply for that status, and then letting the price "float", as Mr Upton was loathe to do. If that had felt like profiteering, there was always the possibility of sharing some of that profit with the less fortunate, not least by subsidising lower prices for those protected groups. But I certainly understand that it was an awkward situation to be in, with few people likely to be made happy by whatever was decided upon.
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

Pi Zero 2W currently showing in stock at The Pi Hut:

https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry ... 1426909379
Ukwebb

Post by Ukwebb »

KenLowe wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:46 pm Pi Zero 2W currently showing in stock at The Pi Hut:

sold out already !
BBC Bs, Master 128s, Master Compact, and Electrons, and an A3000 with an ARM3 :)

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

Pi Zero 2W currently showing in stock again at The Pi Hut. Hopefully that's them starting to become a bit more available again:

Ukwebb

Post by Ukwebb »

KenLowe wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:55 pm Pi Zero 2W currently showing in stock again at The Pi Hut. Hopefully that's them starting to become a bit more available again:

whoo hoo- snagged one :) sadly - just one though, they're limiting orders to one per order

BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Well. Mouser claim to be selling me 10 Pi Zero 1.3 on a 14 week lead time. Fully expect my order to be cancelled in 13 weeks and 6 days.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Assuming the Pi Zero 1.3s don't arrive, is there a direct equivalent I can get instead, eg. the Pi Zero 2 W (?) which will:

a) fit in all the nooks and crannies the Pi Zero 1.3 fits; and
b) work?
Ukwebb

Post by Ukwebb »

Pizero 2w is identical layout to pi zero and they are coming available, I managed to order one a week or so ago

if you're desperate I have a ( probably 3) spare pi zero's

KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

Or the Pi Zero W. Both are available:

https://rpilocator.com/?country=UK&instock
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Right, I'll see if I can swap my order from Pi Zero 1.3 to Pi Zero W or Pi Zero 2 W.

I'm not at the desperation point yet, though I will be if they never turn up!
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Had a notification yesterday that Pi Zero 1.3 is now available, but still only one per order. It's still the original price, £5, but postage is £2.99, so £8 delivered. That's still cheaper though than Mouser who are charging £8 plus VAT (plus postage unless meeting the minimum order value).
mogwaay

Post by mogwaay »

Where did you see the £5 Pi Zero v1.3s? Had a quick look on Pi Hut and Pimoroni and couldn't see them up yet. I'm also not in a hurry but just want to get the basic Pi Zero for a 2nd RGBtoHDMI board.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

This is it, but sold out again already!

https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero
mogwaay

Post by mogwaay »

BeebMaster wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:26 pm This is it, but sold out again already!

https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero
"If you're not fast..." Still sounds like hope that some might come up before they stop making them!
paulb

Post by paulb »

Weird to see Raspberry Pi Zero units showing up in Crowd Supply's project inventory suddenly. However, only the Zero WH at $16 is in stock, with the Zero and Zero W at $10 and $15 respectively being optimistically available at the end of March 2024. And then add up to $18 for worldwide shipping!

Good luck with getting that £5 original Pi Zero!
scruss

Post by scruss »

paulb wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:49 pm Good luck with getting that £5 original Pi Zero!
That price point hasn't existed for a while. When you can get them at all, they're about the same price as a Zero W.

Is there any application (outside the ones that CSIS/GCHQ/NSA have for guaranteed wifi-free modules*) that a Zero W won't do for?

--
*: when I worked for a Raspberry Pi AR, there was a US government agency of unmemorable name with a PO Box address in Fort Meade (where NSA's HQ is) who had a standing order for any Raspberry Pi 2Bs we could find.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Well, Pi Zero 1.3 was £5.00 (plus postage nearly as much) when I bought a couple from Pi Hut in October.

Return to “off-topic”