ABUG SOUTH (in person) 10 to 12 November 2023 (booking thread) - still places available

for the announcement (and discussion) of confirmed physical and virtual ABug events ONLY
mattyj

Re: ABUG SOUTH (in person) 10 to 12 November 2023 (booking thread) - still places available

Post by mattyj »

Looks like you are all having a great time!
Sorry I couldn’t be there this time.
1024MAK

Re: ABUG SOUTH (in person) 10 to 12 November 2023 (booking thread) - still places available

Post by 1024MAK »

Well, it's that time again. The sights and sounds of various people packing up their kit ready to go home.

Thank you to everyone for attending =D> Have a safe journey home :D

And a big thank you to Robert for arranging this event.

Mark
NickLuvsRetro

Post by NickLuvsRetro »

Phew! Back now, after a long grind on the M25. :lol:

Was wonderful to meet everyone and had a great time. Look forward to catching up with everyone again some time. Likewise, big thanks to Robert for arranging everything, the setup was perfect.
friesian7

Post by friesian7 »

He was first to arrive, and last to leave...
20231112_144532.jpg
What an awesome weekend. Huge thanks to everyone who chatted and explained things, and a special shout out to @Prime for help with my Atom. Probably last turned on in 1984, and thanks to his work I now know I need a replacement 6502. Following a chat with the above pictured Dave Hitchins I believe I have a source. :D

Jarod
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I don't think I've ever seen him arrive or leave. I reckon he's been in situ there since 1983.
danrolfe

Post by danrolfe »

Thank you so much to everyone for making me so welcome on my first ABUG visit and for all the effort made to organise it. I really enjoyed meeting you all and really appreciate all the help, advice, training, soldering and sockets and pins I was given to get my A3000 back on track to working. CMOS chips is now ordered. Quick question though - does it matter whether I get a single or double AA battery holder for the battery replacement? I think Sarah said double but I can't quite remember.

Thanks again and I look forward to the seeing you again at a future meeting. I'll be sure to post when the A3000 is up and running.
Last edited by danrolfe on Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mogwaay

Post by mogwaay »

friesian7 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:44 pm He was first to arrive, and last to leave...

Jarod
Lol that's such a good photo! Many thanks Dave for your help - I'll get that ULA working on your Issue 4 Elk, I started working on it just last evening.

It was my first visit and I had a great time on Saturday and was sad to go so early - there was still a lot of cool things to see and people to meet, alas,I'm defo a convert so there's always next year...

Huge thanks also to Robert (JudgeBeeb) for organising it, you did a fantastic job, I was very impressed.

Cheers,
Chris!

Ps here's the only photo I took, a silly selfie for my kids from my corner 😋 (oh and big thanks to Nick for sharing a table!)
IMG-20231111-WA0000.jpeg
NickLuvsRetro

Post by NickLuvsRetro »

mogwaay wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:41 pm(oh and big thanks to Nick for sharing a table!)
My pleasure! Oh, and "Local Hero" was the name of that blimmin' movie I couldn't remember when we had lunch! I ended up having to ask ChatGPT as it was driving me crazy. :lol:
tricky

Post by tricky »

Thanks Robert for organising another great event.
Thanks Kieran for taking up the batton for future events.
Thanks to Tom for debugging one if not two issues with my gotek menu system.
Thanks to everyone for the chats and contributing to the atmosphere :)
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

Thank you as always to all involved, and a huge thank you to Robert for his organising prowess and making the ABUG South meetups a guaranteed fun weekend; I had a thoroughly enjoyable time. Highlights for me include doing a board swap and minor component fix on an M128, dumping the Black Atom EPROM (Thanks Phill / @Prime), helping out a few people and generally catching up with many more. Lots of interesting projects out there!

I hope you all took some of the badges that were on the lanyard table - I may have gone a bit overboard with them this time around!

Thank you to @vanpeebles for the generous loan of his Black Atom, which we finally managed to extract the ROM from - hopefully Nigel / @pernod can reveal its secrets.

Finally, I'd also like to thank Mike (aka PixelBlip) for the artwork featured on this ABUG's badge; he's so much better at it than I am! - please check out his work in the 'Acorn Art Thread' if you haven't seen it yet.

I'm already looking forward to the next event! :)
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

I had a great time, thanks to Robert for organising (and good luck to Kieran and other helpers for the next one!)

Managed to fix several niggles with my Master 128 (thanks sbadger), tested a bunch of drives, started using my Greaseweazle and immediately realised that corrupted floppies are apparently far more common than I realised (I had a bunch of magazine cover-discs that I was going to use to test how well my various drives worked for archiving ... but every single one was degraded beyond recoverability!) ... handed off a bunch of discs to the Acorn Preservation Team ... chatted to flynnjs about forcibly disabling Econet NMIs ... watched a few demos ... got a new demo effect working ... loads of other stuff. Great seeing you all!
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Some magazine cover disks were not known for being particularly good quality back in the day anyway…

Mark
z0m8ied0g

Post by z0m8ied0g »

Thanks to everyone for a great time, as usual thanks to JudgeBeeb for organizing and hopefully will see him in the future at another ABUG.
See you all at the next one.
Acorn... lots of Acorn... http://blog.retroacorn.net
Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

hello everyone, i was wondering if it would be ok for me to come along to the next abug event?
as most of you know, i am 15 but would come along with parents.
in the rules it says no kids but as a acorn enthusiast i was wondering if i could bend it? :lol:
i would bring along the beeb i'm getting for xmas.
just to confirm, my parents would be getting dragged along by me! :lol: (they had computers when they where young but are not that interested in the old stuff.
thanks! :D
-Elliot :)
Lover of all things acorn, but especially the 8 bits!
- bbc b issue 7 with econet- electron issue 2 - microvitec cub 653 - amx mouse -
i like to use as much original hardware as possible, and only use disk and tapes! :shock:
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

Cruxinc wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:30 pm hello everyone, i was wondering if it would be ok for me to come along to the next abug event?
as most of you know, i am 15 but would come along with parents.
in the rules it says no kids but as a acorn enthusiast i was wondering if i could bend it? :lol:
i would bring along the beeb i'm getting for xmas.
just to confirm, my parents would be getting dragged along by me! :lol: (they had computers when they where young but are not that interested in the old stuff.
thanks! :D
Personally, I wouldn't have a problem, but it'll be up to the new organisers to decide. It's an unusual but nice problem to have, so hopefully something positive can be worked out. It's worth mentioning that we have had younger children present previously, albeit their dad was attending for the full days and mum briefly popped in with the kids from time to time.

It's looking very likely that an ABUG North will be the next event happening, which will be held in Manchester - same type of event, but a different person organising it who may have different rules too.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Cruxinc wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:30 pm in the rules it says no kids but as a acorn enthusiast i was wondering if i could bend it? :lol:
It actually says:
Having said that, we do encourage well behaved/adequately supervised children who may be interested in an insight into computers (and, obviously, computer games) of days gone-by. In particular, there will almost certainly, be opportunities for gaming.
The restrictions on children is mainly because we have a duty of care for people’s safety. Young children may be a risk to themselves or others.

You are currently fifteen, going on sixteen. So I don’t think it would be a problem for you to attend if you are supervised by one of your parents.

You would have to be careful and behave sensibly. You and your parents should be aware that some events take place in pubs. Also that occasionally (especially when someone makes a mistake), swear words may be heard.

Mark
davidb

Post by davidb »

1024MAK wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:44 pm Also that occasionally (especially when someone makes a mistake), swear words may be heard.
I've heard that some adults can be quite sensitive to that. :lol:
tricky

Post by tricky »

I've update the GOTEK menu download, hopefully fixing the CoPro incompatibility and maybe the odd DFS one too, please test: viewtopic.php?p=221136 Let me know in the other thread if it works/doesn't work for you.

When I got home, one of my beebs that was well behaved all weekend but wouldn't turn on needed a C9 replaced to get it going again. It was one that I had recapped in the early days before replacing C9 was recommended.
DamoJay

Post by DamoJay »

A big thank you for Robert (JudgeBeeb) on setting up this ABUG event. Was my first, and really enjoyed it. Such nice knowledge people, with an intrest in what everyone was doing, and willing to help others out.

I had a roller coaster of a Saturday, with the putting in the Econet kit in a BBC B, but then finding the Disc Drive no longer worked. A massive thank you to flynnjs (Jason), who took the time out from his project to find the issue, and help me get some capacitors and resitors , and then he fixed it.

Also to IanS who took the time out to help me next the Econet, and explain a few things.

Was such an inspiration, that I've now got a Econet set up at home across a A5000, A3023 and a BBC, with plans to expand out.

Looking forward to the next one, and plan to bring 3 things with me next time..... something that might of intrest to others, a small project Im likely to need a bit of help with, and something to play with.

Many thanks, it was really a wonferful weekend.

Damian.
Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt »

Yep great time as always, I really love that venue!

Many thanks to sbadger and prime for fixing my poorly BBC :D

Also JudgeBeeb for this and all the previous events which I've enjoyed, and best of luck for the future mate
Last edited by Dave Footitt on Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrSquiggles

Post by MrSquiggles »

I second all of the above. Thanks to Robert for organising + for letting me drift in and out. :-)

It was great to meet everyone. Lots of fascinating chats with lots of people: I never even took any of my stuff out of my car. I just spent the whole time talking to people.

- Pete
2 Atoms + a broken BBC
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Best ABUG weekend ever . . . Thanks to everyone and thanks and au revoir to Robert.

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
mogwaay

Post by mogwaay »

NickLuvsRetro wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:42 am

My pleasure! Oh, and "Local Hero" was the name of that blimmin' movie I couldn't remember when we had lunch! I ended up having to ask ChatGPT as it was driving me crazy. :lol:
Thanks! Added to my to-watch list.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

tricky wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:19 pm Have you gone home yet ;)
Yes ( :lol: ), arrived home around 4 after a very windy drive.

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr »

It always looks to be an enjoyable event. I wish one day to attend, but it's a long way (and expense) to travel from Greece. Maybe I should look for followers the Acorn here to have an ABug Greece? :-k
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1 x2, Plus 3, AP6 x2, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi Co-processor, GoSDC MBE.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS, Raspberry Pi Co-processor and Gotek.
flynnjs

Post by flynnjs »

Thanks to everyone who made the event a success and Robert in particular for the organisational side of things.
Nice to come and talk "Acorn" face to face after 4 years :mrgreen:
danrolfe

Post by danrolfe »

I am now the proud custodian of a fully (*) functioning A3000 thanks to the help of many people at my first ABUG meeting last weekend and a forum post from 3 years ago which I didn't have the experience to follow on my own :oops:.

Thank you all. I look forward to having some idea what to do with it by the time I next see you.

:D :D :D :D

A3000Working.jpeg
* As far as I can tell...
danrolfe

Post by danrolfe »

Only the rustic soldering of the battery wires :) . The important bits were done by @sarahwalker and @prime.

Return to “acorn & bbc micro user group (abug) events”