SHIFT-CAPS

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
BeebMaster

SHIFT-CAPS

Post by BeebMaster »

I've always detested SHIFT-CAPS mode, I'll never understand why that was put as a configuration option on Master 128 (and later). If I engage CAPS LOCK, I always want upper case letters no matter whether I am pressing SHIFT at the same time or not. Luckily Acorn knew this, and the default from pressing CAPS LOCK is that CAPS mode is selected. If you want SHIFT-CAPS mode, you hold SHIFT then press CAPS LOCK. Genius.

However, on a modern PC keyboard, it seems that pressing CAPS LOCK invariably engages SHIFT-CAPS mode so any shifted letter keypress produces a lower case letter. I don't want that, but I can't find a way to make CAPS LOCK engage CAPS only mode. Can't see anything in the keyboard settings (on Ubuntu) and the interweb has been no hELP. tUT.

Is there a way to do it?
gfoot

Re: SHIFT-CAPS

Post by gfoot »

Assuming this is within X, rather than at the actual Linux console, xkeyboard-config's caps:shift_nocancel option looks promising, e.g.:

Code: Select all

caps:internal_nocancel	  Caps Lock uses internal capitalization; Shift doesn't affect Caps Lock
caps:shift	          Caps Lock acts as Shift with locking; Shift "pauses" Caps Lock
caps:shift_nocancel	  Caps Lock acts as Shift with locking; Shift doesn't affect Caps Lock
caps:capslock	          Caps Lock toggles normal capitalization of alphabetic characters
https://www.commandlinux.com/man-page/m ... fig.7.html
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Use a ZX81, definitely no lower case character problems then :lol:

Mark
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

You could have said Atom!
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

BeebMaster wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:16 pm You could have said Atom!
But that may not have got a reaction :lol:

Mark

Return to “off-topic”