Elite - 6502 2nd processor Executive Edition

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

Colinmac

Elite - 6502 2nd processor Executive Edition

Post by Colinmac »

Hi there. I know I bang on about this game/6502 processors etc.

I've just got my 2nd Processor back from the repair shop - thanks Retroclinic :D - and I can now run this version - from the disc edition that has a menu allowing BBC, BBC sideways, Master 128, or 6502 second processor edition.

Now, I had this years ago - hence the quest for a replacement system to that which I traded away to chase the Amiga. I had exactly the same version (except it was on floppy, as opposed to the CF hard drive in my master :mrgreen: ).

It boots, has a 3D 'star wars text' intro, a short Elite logo wireframe, then jumps to the game. Only my edition has a 'cracked' save embedded I think, as the ship is fully equipped and has a massive amount of credits available - making the game a little redundant. Also default commander is a Commander Firebud, and thats without loading a save. It's dated Acornsoft 1986. I have a different version thats 1984, but wondered if there are any differences ?

So, question is - can I get hold of an uncracked executable ? Anyone have it , or know where I can get a 'clean' copy which hasn't been hacked to death ?

(Can I just update that I don't know if the 2nd processor version for Master differs in anyway from the normal Model B version? - perhaps someone could clarify?)
billcarr2005

Re: Elite - 6502 2nd processor Executive Edition

Post by billcarr2005 »

I thought that all versions of Elite were available to download at Ian Bell's website at one stage.

I have the original disk here, but I've never had the chance to look at it yet. If it's similar to the original release of Elite it would be crackable.

Failing that, I have a TOSEC image "Elite - BBC System Menu" which has the 4 different versions on it which I could email you.
Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise »

Colinmac

Post by Colinmac »

Ah. That's a good shout.

I'll have a go now.

Cheers !
Colinmac

Post by Colinmac »

Lol - the version from there is the same, although its dated 1984.

I must email him....
retroclinic

Post by retroclinic »

Hi.

That's where I got it from! The annoying part about that is that you can't skip over the attractor section and jump straight into the game.

If you want a basic commander, you should be able to go into the M128 version, save the defualt commander, then load that into the Co-Pro version, I beleive all the commander files are compatible.

Mark.
Colinmac

Post by Colinmac »

Quick update for anyone who's interested....

I emailed Ian Bell asking about this - he replied saying the only versions he has are on the website, and he can't remember if the Executive edition was hacked but suspected there were bug fixes in it.

Billcarr pm'd me saying it was perhaps a private build and has the ability to print the trading screens out - perhaps this was for reviewers or something, hence the massive credits/fully equipped ship etc...?

Loading/saving commanders works fine - but it's like getting a fully race spec'd kart (I race/play with karts) and then going back to a basic one to start a season with LOL....

Anyway that's it, unless anyone knows differernt - ie has a retail copy of the executive edition...?
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

The standard 6502 processor edition (non executive) has the ability to make screen dumps (saved to disk) and print out the details contained within the screens shown by pressing f6 - f8. :)
Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise »

There was no commercial release for the Executive Edition.

I assume, given your interest, that you've looked through the alt.fan.elite FAQ, which has a good chunk of info on the releases:

http://bbc.nvg.org/doc/games/EliteFAQ.htm

Sam.
Colinmac

Post by Colinmac »

Yes, I read it a while back before repurchasing a BBC etc.

I thought it was a bit vague about the later editions - although re-checking it, it does say that the executive edition wasn't a released edition...
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

From the Elite FAQ " The only differences I know between this and
normal Tube Coprocessor Elite are the presence of a StarWars-type
scrolltext which rolls up the screen when you start the game "

It is also the in standard 6502 2nd processor edition if you press TAB.
AJW

Post by AJW »

What about the spinning 3D logo?
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

Yes, it has the spinning 3d logo, with the spaceship shooting it until in explodes! It also says Acornsoft and not Pizzasoft! :lol:
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

billcarr2005 wrote: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:38 amIt also says Acornsoft and not Pizzasoft
Sorry for raising the thread, but, just to clarify, was there ever a version of the Executive Edition of Elite that didn't say "Pizzasoft" in the "opening credits"?

:?:

CMcDougall wrote: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:34 pmthe Executive version is not in the STH archive :-k , so upped below as that has the 'Star Wars' style title /credits
DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn »

lurkio wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:11 pm
billcarr2005 wrote: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:38 amIt also says Acornsoft and not Pizzasoft
Sorry for raising the thread, but, just to clarify, was there ever a version of the Executive Edition of Elite that didn't say "Pizzasoft" in the "opening credits"?

:?:

CMcDougall wrote: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:34 pmthe Executive version is not in the STH archive :-k , so upped below as that has the 'Star Wars' style title /credits
Are there other differences between the “executive version” and the second processor version beside the ‘Star Wars’ style credits?

Edit: please ignore this question, reading the thread again this has been discussed.
Last edited by DutchAcorn on Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
marcusjambler

Post by marcusjambler »

a version of the Executive Edition of Elite that didn't say "Pizzasoft" in the "opening credits"?
There are these two versions... One of which only runs on hardware :shock:

Marcus
Attachments
Tube Elite.zip
(270.82 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
Lion

Post by Lion »

Sorry for coming to this late...

This is a remarkable find! The "press Tab" trick reveals the secret, which would otherwise remain hidden. It's amazing that this never had a commercial release, I wonder what its origin is.
IMG_4355.jpeg
IMG_4357.jpeg
IMG_4358.jpeg
(Photos taken on Master 128 Turbo with tube on!)
CHRISJJ

Post by CHRISJJ »

lurkio wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:11 pm
Belatedly, Yes. I have it here.

Chris (ex-Acornsoft)
maniacminer

Post by maniacminer »

Lion wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:42 am This is a remarkable find! The "press Tab" trick reveals the secret, which would otherwise remain hidden. It's amazing that this never had a commercial release, I wonder what its origin is.
From memory, if the game is run and left alone, this extra bit of animation is displayed eventually.
Big Model B Econet,Master 512,Electron,A3000,A540,Atom,Unilab 3-Chip Plus,6502,Z80,65C816,80186,32016,Matchbox,ARM7TDMI,Master 10/100,PiCoPro,Teletext,Music500,PiSCSI,Challenger3,Gotek,VideoNuLA,GoSDC,GoMMC,Integra-B,RGB2HDMIv4,Epson LQ-850 (for the win!)

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”