ADFS.NET/DFS.NET Explorer

discuss pc<>acorn file transfer issues and the use of other utils
geraldholdsworth

Re: ADFS.NET/DFS.NET Explorer

Post by geraldholdsworth »

BeebMaster wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:40 am A Level 3 de-frag option (maybe in Disc Imager Manager as well?!) would be good, because I have also found that there are lots of contiguous blocks of file data which are recorded for whatever reason by multiple entries in the JesMap sector ( e.g. it says there are 3 blocks at sector 100, followed by 3 blocks at sector 103, followed by 4 blocks at sector 106 etc. when it would be more efficient to say there are 10 blocks at sector 100.)
Not a bad idea - DIM already does this for ADFS images, and does it as files are added or deleted. A full defrag is a separate option, which basically creates a new, identically sized, image and imports all the files from the original.
Gerald Holdsworth, CTS-D
Extron Authorised Programmer
https://www.geraldholdsworth.co.uk
https://www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk
Twitter @radiogezza
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Just for clarity. The idea is not to defragment fragmented files themselves on the AFS partition, which would be a lot more complex, needing the bitmaps to be updated if data was moved about (although that could be done as well), but to defragment the JesMap record of where the bits are stored, which sometimes seems to split contiguous areas of files into several fragments. This could be done by optimising the JesMap sector and writing a new sector back over the old one without any other changes.
g7jjf

Post by g7jjf »

Just a quick update, I have now got level 3 read only support added to the program. If anyone wants to test the features, they can download a copy from http://www.g7jjf.com/progs/ADFS_Explorer_4_0_2.zip

A changelog of this version is :

Added read only support for Econet level 3 file server partitions
Added Go To Address/Sector in hex editor
Added Copy Hex in hex editor
Added support for different line terminators in file text viewer
Added email link click on about box
Added web site link click on about box
Added option to not expand directory tree on start up
Added menu options to expand/collapse directory tree nodes
Added menu option to view changelog.txt file
Added menu options to check for program updates
Fixed error when setting boot options not updating boot sector CRC
Fixed display refresh issue when drag/drop to list view window
Fixed display refresh issue when renaming files/directories

Just noticed an issue detecting L3 partitions on CF cards. This has been fixed in the next release
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Just tried the latest version (4.0.2) Found a Problem!

(1) If I drop a new file into a folder - first thing that happens is the directory tree is expanded - so you lose the directory you've just dropped the new file into - this also happens if you delete a file in a directory!

(2) As well as the above - when you save I'm seeing 1 file being corrupted!! It's a BASIC file titled 6522TEST. Viewing as BASIC is OK before saving and corrupted when reloaded e.g. view as BASIC says it's not a BASIC file!!

Not had a chance to see what changes have occured - I'll report back later.

This is my BEEBSCSI file - just under 32KB

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
g7jjf

Post by g7jjf »

Thanks for reporting the problems. Looks like I need to look at the directory refresh code again to try and optimise it further.

For the corruption, could possibly email me the offending file and disc image plus step by step instructions for replicating the problem so I can take a look and sort it out please.

Thanks
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

g7jjf wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:34 am Thanks for reporting the problems. Looks like I need to look at the directory refresh code again to try and optimise it further.

For the corruption, could possibly email me the offending file and disc image plus step by step instructions for replicating the problem so I can take a look and sort it out please.

Thanks
Will do.
It'd be handy if you left at least one previous version available for cases like this!

Thanks - Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
g7jjf

Post by g7jjf »

I have further optimised the directory tree refreshes and hopefully, all should be OK now. A new version is available for download from my web site.

I have also made available previous versions as requested by Dave and sorted out Dave's disc corruption as well.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

g7jjf wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:01 pm I have further optimised the directory tree refreshes and hopefully, all should be OK now. A new version is available for download from my web site.

I have also made available previous versions as requested by Dave and sorted out Dave's disc corruption as well.
With grateful thanks =D> Still trying to find the cause of the corruption . . .

Dave H.
Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 »

Looking all great Jon!
Have played with the new version for a bit with a pc emulator on my mac.
Do you know how I can read my flash cards on my mac? The emulated PC does not recognise my card.

Or is there a different util to backup/read/write the flash cards?

Cheers

EDIT :
Found a a mac version on your site that runs on one of the latest MacOS versions
Is that version the same as the new windows version?

EDIT 2 :
Never mind. Was asking too early.
Sry
hoping for a new mac version soon too :wink:
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”