Mark forums read

feedback, comments and suggestions pertaining to the stardot forum
KenLowe

Mark forums read

Post by KenLowe »

I use the 'Unread posts' feature of the forum frequently to catch up with all the latest discussions.

However, a very annoying 'feature' of the board is the 'Mark forums read' selection on the front page. Particularly on a mobile device. Accidentally touch this area of the screen, and 'boom'. All posts are marked as read. No second change. No 'are you sure ?' Aaargh #-o

Similar selections appear on other pages too (eg the Unread posts screen gives you the option to 'Mark all as read'. Again without any confirmation, so accidentally touch that area of the screen...)

I know this is probably default setting of the phpBB forum software, and that customisation is generally frowned upon. But I thought I'd moan about it anyway :lol: :lol:.
Front page - Mark forums read
Front page - Mark forums read
1024MAK

Re: Mark forums read

Post by 1024MAK »

This is a problem with touch screens. I use a pad as well as a smartphone. The number of times that I’ve accidentally selected something I didn’t want to do due to various reasons (including vibration/going over a bump, or due to a pop-up appearing just as I’m touching the screen) is frustratingly high :twisted:

I have the additional problem that modern touch screens also respond to my dogs nose and the pads on their paws. Hence sometimes if I’m not paying attention to the dog, and it wants something, occasionally it will stick its nose or paw on the screen and select something :twisted:

Only yesterday the dog managed to fast forward through a Youtube video for me….

Mark
paulb

Post by paulb »

1024MAK wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:06 am Only yesterday the dog managed to fast forward through a Youtube video for me….
Well, at least it wasn't a case of "buy it now" being invoked.
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

A lot of sites are not really suited for mobile devices, I prefer reading things on a normal screen using a mouse ( not even the touch pad that all laptops have) maybe I am old fashioned but find it a lot easier :lol:
Regards Peter.
derek

Post by derek »

Hi,

I mostly read and sometime enter messages on an Android tablet, which is OK, but I have problems with the on-screen keyboard, with big fingers and small keys.

I constantly find spelling mistake like "tge" in messages I enter. I should really use a keyboard and mouse for enter of messages.
Regards,

Derek
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

Yeah, I usually use a mobile device for reading only and revert back to a PC when I'm writing messages (except now!).

Return to “stardot FORUM”