Beebem under Linux

discuss bbc micro and electron emulators (including mame) here!
Coeus

Re: Beebem under Linux

Post by Coeus »

This....
chrisn wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:11 pm ....The codebase is very Windows specific and would need a lot of work to make it cross-platform. An alternative approach could be to take the latest Linux BeebEm and copy over changes from the Windows version.
is why...
scruss wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:30 am b-em has seen so much more love on Linux than beebem....
As a Linux user, I had been looking for an BBC Micro emulator. At the time, b2 and beebjit were not on the scene so the choice seemed to be mainly between BeebEm and B-Em. I noted that the last version of BeebEm for Linux seemed to be well behind the Windows version. Interestingly, BeebEm started out as a Unix application but when someone, and I think it was before Chris, the current maintainer, ported it to Windows they didn't make it cross-platform. Later, some of the Windows changes had been back-ported but there was still a big gap. By comparison b-em had the source organised so the OS dependencies were isolated into a few modules and the biggest dependency was on a library called allegro which was, itself, cross platform.

So, I choose B-Em for my own use. I wasn't specifically intending to maintain it but it ended up that way.

I agree with Chris that to make it cross-platform would be a lot of work but, if you fancy that, then go for it. I'd also say do take stock of the the emulator "market". As I said, beebjit and b2 are new since I started work on b-em. I suspect both are more likely to work well on a Pi, though b-em still has advantages if you want to emulate more things from the ecosystem including tube processors etc.
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Yes, there are other emulators out there, you pay your money you take your choice. This is a thread about BeebEm.
Atom / BBC B with Music 5000/4000/2000 / Electron / A3000 / Master 128
scruss

Post by scruss »

chrisn wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:50 pm This is a thread about BeebEm.
Yes, but it's also about BeebEm on Linux, where it is currently likely not the most flexible / most full-featured emulator.

Sometimes you have to XY a question: was the OP wanting to run BeebEm, or were they wanting the "best" acorn emulation platform on Raspberry PI?
bob147

Post by bob147 »

I'd go further than that, I'd say that BeebEm Linux is now so far behind that the only reason you'd take it on is as a programming project which you do for the sheer pleasure of it. It's not just the missing core emulation features, it's using graphics, sound and input libraries that were the standard in 2005, but probably aren't particularly suitable anymore in 2023, so you probably want to rewrite those as well. A true passion project if ever there was one.

Still, this forum is full of people who enjoy this sort of thing, so you never know when the right person with the right skillset and motivation will come along and fancy the challenge.
pixelblip

Post by pixelblip »

I just read this thread.
That was a very helpful command line sudo command Scruss! It saved lots of time. I think that should be put on the github page of B-em under the Readme.

sudo apt install git build-essential liballegro5.2 liballegro5-dev zlib1g zlib1g-dev libzstd1 libzstd-dev autoconf automake
git clone https://github.com/stardot/b-em.git
cd b-em
./autogen.sh && ./configure && make
sudo make install

I love that expression 'Wine replaces one problem with a whole set of another problems' =D> :lol:

Really I am glad we have at least one emulator on Linux.
It would be good if someone could port Beeb-em to Linux. I wonder how difficult that is.... Linux is much better than rubbish old windows anyday!

Return to “8-bit acorn emulators”