New Year Resolution: 2023

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
derek

New Year Resolution: 2023

Post by derek »

Hi,

I was thinking about something to relsolve myself to better. Which to spend more time with my 5 BBC B, Master, 2 Electrons and learn more about the way Acorn comptuers work.

I want to upgrade all the BBC Bs to Econet capability, and link them into my Linux network Intranet system.

Also be more interactive on thr Forum.

Does anyone else have good resolutions?
Regards,

Derek
roland

Re: New Year Resolution: 2023

Post by roland »

Not yet, but I still have three days to come up with some resolutions :lol:
BTW why don’t you also expand your Electrons with Econet?
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
derek

Post by derek »

roland wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:22 pm Not yet, but I still have three days to come up with some resolutions :lol:
BTW why don’t you also expand your Electrons with Econet?
I will look into the Electron Econet.
Regards,

Derek
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I cancelled my prospective new year's resolution under advisement after I previewed it with my boss in a work-related exchange before Christmas along the lines of "my new year's resolution is going to be not to take any more crap like this from anyone and they are going to get a nuclear blast in response in January". Maybe it was a volte face of a previous resolution not to complain about anything any more, which didn't last all that long.

So for 2023 perhaps I'd better keep it simple: carry on along more or less the same lines as the previous 45 years. With more tea.
anightin

Post by anightin »

Mine will be to finish off the projects I started last year before starting any more :lol:

I did manage to fit new CMOS batteries to my Master 128, and have assembled the RCT chip tester that I've had the parts for since summer 2021. Just the Amiga 3000+ to finish now and the SDD reader/writer code for my Jupiter Ace.

Should be enough to keep me busy.
IMG_4600.jpeg
IMG_4592.jpeg
richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey »

derek wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:48 pmDoes anyone else have good resolutions?
Very similar to yours, but starting with a decluttering so I can actually have space to DO things.

Mind you, last year's resolutions very similar and not much happened! :roll:

But the decluttering has started at least.
maniacminer

Post by maniacminer »

OK, not an Acorn project, but... fix my ancient Compaq 386 that was totally dead. I had an ultimatum, fix it or chuck it [-o< I decided to dig into it on the 2nd January. Eventually got the PSU done, simple faults, a recap (it is over 30 years old now) a thorough clean and a whole bunch of tantalum replacements on so many boards and it lives! Oooooooof! EISA and configuration discs, the memories, the lost hair :shock: moved the Conner 130MB HDD off to the side, replaced with a 16GB CF card, the BIOS supports it, the OS doesn't :lol: Just needs a sound card an a CD-ROM drive to finish, maybe some more RAM - stick 64MB into a 386 8) Netscape Navigator - using packet networking through a real mode DOS driver - no rush to do any online shopping :roll:
Attachments
compaq 386.jpg
compaq 386-1.jpg
compaq 386-2.jpg
Big Model B Econet,Master 512,Electron,A3000,A540,Atom,Unilab 3-Chip Plus,6502,Z80,65C816,80186,32016,Matchbox,ARM7TDMI,Master 10/100,PiCoPro,Teletext,Music500,PiSCSI,Challenger3,Gotek,VideoNuLA,GoSDC,GoMMC,Integra-B,RGB2HDMIv4,Epson LQ-850 (for the win!)
derek

Post by derek »

Hi,

I did a similiar thing, with an Amstrad 486 PC, which I use a HiLo Systems ALL03A programmer connected to the PC by an ISA Parallel port for the ALL03A.

I replaced the hard drive with an IDE CF card interface and moved the MSDOS system over, fitted a Network card linked into my Linux Raid server.

The PC is very quiet now, and I can save Eprom image files to a shared area on the Linux Server. Better than using floppy disks.

Just got the PC Power Supply fan to replace with a quieter fan.
Regards,

Derek

Return to “off-topic”