Missing Magazines from the 80s

request software or documentation that you can't find online
drparker48

Re: Missing Magazines from the 80s

Post by drparker48 »

Hi Lee

A while back you said :
leenew wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:12 am Does anyone have Computing Today September 1985
Or
Which Micro & Software Review December 1984?

I have the previous issue in both cases and have typed in the first half a game from each one...
Part 3 of Cribbage awaits me in Computing Today Sept 85
And
Part 2 of Treasure Hunt awaits me in Which Micro December 84.

Can anyone help?

Lee.
Are you able to share these scans as I've got part 3, or would I be better to use the listing from bbcmicro.co.uk?

Thanks

David
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Computing Today parts 1 and 3 are hosted at flaxcottage.com and part 2 will be uploaded today, all being well. :D
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
drparker48

Post by drparker48 »

Thanks John!

Does this mean your archive of Computing Today is now complete - a major achievement :D
Last edited by drparker48 on Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leenew

Post by leenew »

drparker48 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:32 pm Hi Lee

A while back you said :
leenew wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:12 am Does anyone have Computing Today September 1985
Or
Which Micro & Software Review December 1984?

I have the previous issue in both cases and have typed in the first half a game from each one...
Part 3 of Cribbage awaits me in Computing Today Sept 85
And
Part 2 of Treasure Hunt awaits me in Which Micro December 84.

Can anyone help?

Lee.
Are you able to share these scans as I've got part 3, or would I be better to use the listing from bbcmicro.co.uk?

Thanks

David
Hi,
I used John's scans from flaxcottage.com.
I spent way too much time on it as it seems the BBC micro version is bugged. I cross-referenced every line with the equivalent line in the Amstrad version which was also listed and tried to cobble together a working version from the 2 listings.
That is what lives on bbcmicro.co.uk now...

Lee.
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

drparker48 wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:11 pm Thanks John!

Does this mean your archive of Computing Today is now complete - a major achievement :D
As far as I know, yes. The October 1985 issue still advertises for subscribers and lists what is in the next issue but as far as I know there were no more issues. My virtual collection is complete but I still need the physical magazines for August 1983 and July 1985 to October 1985. Based on eBay prices that will cost around £300!! :shock:

There is hardly any advertising in the Oct 85 magazine, not enough to support the issue. The price also went up 10%.
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
drparker48

Post by drparker48 »

flaxcottage wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:40 pm Computing Today parts 1 and 3 are hosted at flaxcottage.com and part 2 will be uploaded today, all being well. :D
Many thanks for those.

I'm slightly disappointed in the quality of some of the program listings but seeing the quality of the print on the same pages it's obviously the poor quality of the original listings that's the cause. As an owner of the little Sinclair thermal printer at the time, I well understand the poor quality of some printouts. Some of the listings in the September issue look to have been retyped - on a typewriter.

This being the case, I can understand how Lee had problems making them work. Some of the "bugs" might have just been a misread.

If you were wondering on my interest, I'm working on using these old programs to learn iOS/Swift programming and resurrect these old gems in the modern age. My two favourite magazines in those old days were Your Computer and Computing Today and I had ZX80, ZX81, Spectrum and CPC464 before switching to a PC. I do regret not giving the BBC Micro a go!

David :)
leenew

Post by leenew »

Here is the latest list of magazines that I would like to look through in my never ending search for missing games:

Computer Answers 1983 - March to December

Micro Update From February 1983 onwards (all)

Personal Computing Today 1984 - April, December

Personal Computing Today 1985 - April, June, August, September, October, November, December

Personal Software - Winter 1984, Spring 1985

Popular Computing Weekly 1987 – volume 6 issues 7,8,13 and 25.

What Micro 1983 – September

What Micro 1984 – July, and December

Which Micro & Software Review 1983 – June, August

Which Micro & Software Review 1984 – March Flexidisc, April, June, Sept, Oct, Dec

Which Micro & Software Review 1985 – All

** Which Micro & Software Review had pullout supplements called "Byte-Pack" from October 84 onwards, so I would really like to see those if anyone has them.

Lee.
Last edited by leenew on Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
leenew

Post by leenew »

Hi,
I have added "Personal Computer World" June 1987 to the missing magazines list.
Does anyone have a copy of this magazine?
product-78620.jpg
We are looking for a scan of the "Solitaire" game that appears in the magazine.

Thank you,

Lee.

EDIT** Thank you - it is here: https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Person ... -S-OCR.pdf
leenew

Post by leenew »

Does anyone have any copies of "Micro Update" magazine?
I had never heard of it until yesterday, but spotted a couple on eBay.
I convinced one seller to photograph a BBC Micro game for me, but I would like to check for others.
I have only seen reference to issue 1 (Feb 83) and issue 2 (March 83) but there may be others.
The centre for computing history have issues 1 and 2 if anyone is down there volunteering?

I obtained "Dynamaze" from issue 2 but believe there are 2 BBC games in issue 1 as well as an ATOM game that probably will be missing too.

Lee.

Return to “archive requests”