Hi! Hoping someone can help me identify an old educational game.

discuss classic text/graphic adventures for the bbc micro & electron
Reverendmalerik

Hi! Hoping someone can help me identify an old educational game.

Post by Reverendmalerik »

Hello acorn enthusiasts, I am hoping someone can help me? I have been trying to identify this game for quite some time with no luck.

In my school in the late 80s/very early 90s we had an Acorn (not sure on model, think it was a BBC Micro tbh) and a Nimbus. I believe this game was on the Acorn.

I cannot remember the name of the game, if I ever knew it, but here are the pieces of it I can remember.

1) Your character is stuck in a room. They are locked in. In the room is some dirty water. If you drink it, you shrink down and can now get under the door.

2) At some point you are in a grandfather clock, but the hand is a laser? You are attacked by ants and have to type in degrees to turn the hand in order to shoot them with the laser.

3) Your character tries to cross a river. The river has several stones on it they try to jump across, but the last one is slightly further away than the others and your character doesn't make it and falls in the river. At that point it tells you to put in the next disk, only my school didn't have it.

I would greatly appreciate any help identifying this game. We had three games at school that I can recall and I have identified two so far (arcventure and through the dragon's eye) but this one was my favourite and I want to show it to my own kids.

Thanks,

Kieran
MyJumpersFullOfFears

Re: Hi! Hoping someone can help me identify an old educational game.

Post by MyJumpersFullOfFears »

I believe you are thinking of Sherston Software's 1987 game The Nature Park Adventure, which I myself have never seen as it was not on any of the 5.25" discs that came with the school surplus BBC Master 128 my family were given a loan of in 1994, but I read through the PDF of the teacher's manual that is included in its ZIP file from FlaxCottage's site out of curiosity (as the primary school I attended had the Acorn Archimedes versions of Animated Numbers, Connections and both Elf Tales games), and some of its gameplay descriptions seem to match what you can remember about it.
Reverendmalerik

Re: Hi! Hoping someone can help me identify an old educational game.

Post by Reverendmalerik »

OH MY GOD THAT'S IT.

I can't believe it. I have been trying to find out what happens after the end of disk 2 for about 34 years and you figured it out so quickly!

I absolutely would not have guessed The Nature Park Adventure in a million years. All the nature aspects of it I had completely forgotten.

Now I am playing through it with my youngest son. I am very pleased to see that I was right in my assumption of what happens at the start of the next disk (you grow big again by swallowing river water).

Various pieces of it I keep remembering, like the flower puzzle, but others I have zero recollection of whatsoever, but my son finds it fascinating.

Thank you so much! I should have come to you guys first I guess but I only just found this forum today!

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic adventure games”