Knight Quest

feedback, questions and discussion relating to www.bbcmicro.co.uk
joachim

Knight Quest

Post by joachim »

Knight Quest (https://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=1070), which is a BASIC game in MODE 1, crashes with a "No room" error if you pick up the object in the first room and then leave the room.

Lowering PAGE would be an obvious solution, but $.QUEST seems to intentionally set it to &1100 so I'm not sure why they would have chosen a value that doesn't work. Perhaps $.QUEST1 just needs to be crunched to remove spaces.
leenew

Re: Knight Quest

Post by leenew »

Thanks Joachim,
I will investigate 8)

Lee.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi,
Thanks for spotting the error.
However, the original version on Beebug 6.10 does run the main game at &1100 and this is also featured in the Beebug listing.
I have now added a download routine to the game to shift it to &E00.
Could I ask that you play the game again and see what happens.

At a guess, and its only a guess, the author chose &1100 as he wanted the game to work from both tape and disc and also because he was using MODE1 and needed the main game to load low enough in order to fit into memory. He may not have found the bug you found when playing the game. It could also be that the author played the game at &E00 and Beebug changed the page at &1100 without properly play testing.
Anyway, hopefully it is sorted now.

Mick.
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

I just downloaded the game from the link and ran it on beebem model b with 1770 dfs and had no issue with collecting the first object and leaving the room

well done =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Image Image Image Image

Return to “the complete BBC games archive”