Email Notifications

feedback, comments and suggestions pertaining to the stardot forum
1024MAK

Re: Email Notifications

Post by 1024MAK »

I use a Sky email address, which is on the Yahoo mail system. As soon as I saw this topic, I subscribed to it, hence I received an email notification at 12:28.in response to the post by baz4096.

Mark
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

It seems to be a problem specific to Gmail - they insist on a properly configured IPv6 setup if you happen to send them mail via IPv6.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Yeah.

Thanks for looking into it.

Mark
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Yes indeed, many thanks!
baz4096 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:34 pm It seems to be a problem specific to Gmail ...
(I see you sent me a PM at 15:03 - no notification arrived for that, as I imagine you might expect.)
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

Had an update from the web hosts, they've fixed an issue with the DKIM settings on the server, and also sorted the IPv6 related DNS entries.

Let's see how many of you receive updates to this thread :)

(I'll monitor the mail log and see)
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

Now that looks much better.
BigEd wrote: (Quoting Ed...)
You should have received notification this time. Google's SMTP servers have confirmed they've accepted the email notification destined to your Gmail account.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Working for me now! Many thanks.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Unsubscribed :lol:

Thanks Chris =D>

Mark
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

BigEd wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:42 pm Working for me now! Many thanks.
Really? There's been a few posts today I would've expected an email for, but still nothing.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

Pernod wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:32 pm
BigEd wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:42 pm Working for me now! Many thanks.
Really? There's been a few posts today I would've expected an email for, but still nothing.
I'm seeing no mail log entries for your Gmail address Pernod, hopefully this will trigger one. The changes took place from about 15:30, so any notifications before then would have been rejected by Gmail.

Edit: can you check you have email notifications turned on?
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

baz4096 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:38 pm I'm seeing no mail log entries for your Gmail address Pernod, hopefully this will trigger one. The changes took place from about 15:30, so any notifications before then would have been rejected by Gmail.

Edit: can you check you have email notifications turned on?
Yep, subscribed topics, forums, and PM's have email enabled. Just now disabled and re-enabled to see if re-asserting them helps.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

A topic I just subscribed to today (FFT 0.02) just sent me an email, but any other forum/topic (including this topic) I'd subscribed to previously does not send an email, though still shows up in my Notifications.

Sounds like a more general issue, and wasn't just gmail related.
- Nigel

baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

Pernod wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:27 pm A topic I just subscribed to today (FFT 0.02) just sent me an email, but any other forum/topic (including this topic) I'd subscribed to previously does not send an email, though still shows up in my Notifications.

Sounds like a more general issue, and wasn't just gmail related.
You’ll only receive a notification if the reply is posted after you have stopped browsing that post + the timeout which I think is a few minutes, and you have email notifications ticked in your user preferences, and have subscribed to the thread. There’s a separate preference for “replies” and “quotes”. Enabling the replies preference means you get a fair amount of email, so I suspect the default for phpBB is for that to be disabled.

Either way, now that I’ve quoted you, and I can see at the time of me posting this there are zero people browsing this post, you should receive a notification, again depending on your preferences this will be either an in-forum notification or an email, or both. I think.
sweh

Post by sweh »

OK, FCrDNS now passes; yay.

There's no SPF record, but everything else looks good.
Rgds
Stephen
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

baz4096 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:46 pm Either way, now that I’ve quoted you, and I can see at the time of me posting this there are zero people browsing this post, you should receive a notification, again depending on your preferences this will be either an in-forum notification or an email, or both. I think.
Yep, had lots of notifications today when I refresh this page, but only a single email for a topic subscribed to today.
- Nigel

baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

sweh wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:50 pm OK, FCrDNS now passes; yay.

There's no SPF record, but everything else looks good.
Hmm yeah, we have one on the main domain, but not the subdomain www, which I believe is what our server is setup to use. Another email to support I think! Cheers for that.

@Pernod, I’m not sure what’s happening with your email notifications, but I’ve been getting loads today. What boxes do you have ticked in your preferences?
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

baz4096 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:59 pm @Pernod, I’m not sure what’s happening with your email notifications, but I’ve been getting loads today. What boxes do you have ticked in your preferences?
Here's my settings:
notification_settings.PNG
And should've got an email for these notifications, but only received for the FFT topic:
notifications.PNG
- Nigel

baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

Pernod wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:18 pm Here's my settings:
notification_settings.PNG

And should've got an email for these notifications, but only received for the FFT topic:
notifications.PNG
When you said you "refreshed the page" earlier, did you have the page open when I replied? Not sure if that would affect anything, but if the forum thinks you're online, you won't get email.

Return to “stardot FORUM”