High Score Challenge Nominations - Season 20

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Hi Folks,

It's our 20th season anniversary....all right then......Please post your 3 chosen games using the guidelines below and submit them in this thread. Please ensure the game exists online (I'll continue posting so that you can download from the Complete BBC Games Archive - http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/index.php). If it doesn't exist there then please check that it exists in the pages here: http://www.stairwaytohell.com/bbc/index ... diskimages If you know of an internet location of a game that isn't at either of these sites (highly unlikely though) then please post that for me.

It will start on March 6th, 9:00 PM UK time. This will give us time to put our games in which should be sufficient. Cutoff for admitting games will be March 5th at 9:00 PM UK time in order to give me time to get the 20th season site set up so we can start on time.

Again, please submit (ONLY) 3 games that you like. The stipulation is that they must not have yet been played within Season 15,16 17, 18 or 19. If you have a game(s) that wasn't chosen in the last 5 seasons then you may Choose it for Season 19. If there are duplicate games chosen (if you check the list though, there shouldn't be) then whoever chose the game first keeps the choice and the duplicator may choose a different game if they wish. See up to 3 game rule below.

Try also to choose 3 games that make sense as a score competition. ie: Elite or Revs don't make sense for this competition. There must be a proper score within whatever game is chosen or it will be removed with the option of you being able to replace it if it's in the time frame. Also, the games should not be ones that take forever to play through one go otherwise few will want to play it. If you're proficient then the game may get long but first you must be proficient and that's ok. I would recommend you do a few test runs on each game you choose so we know it's appropriate for the HSC.

If you don't want to choose 3 games, you don't have to but doing so will allow us more choice for Season 20.

Some games have the ability to start different ways..... ie: different levels to start. If you have a preference, kindly state that in this thread when you pick the game.

These are more guidelines than rules but I think most people understand how it works.

It's a crap shoot what games are chosen. It's completely random (I pick them from a bowl that is raised over my head so will have no idea what is being chosen). Also, the papers are folded so I could be looking at them and still not see so it's more random than the random generator in the Beeb.

I can't think of anything else at the moment but I will get the thread set up for choosing your games for Season 20.

If you have any questions, please hold them for the thread that needs to be set up that shows what games have been chosen and Sydney or I will try to answer them in there for everyone as well as possible.

Thanks again everyone for participating and see you in the next round.

Just so everyone is aware of what was chosen the last 5 seasons, please don't choose any of these games again for this season.....tx..Ed.... :-)

These are the games that may not be chosen for Season 20: I will add and subtract these as explained in my previous message.
PlayedGames.png
Once you've chosen your games then enlarge this file and check against it please and against any other player's games they've chosen to ensure we don't have duplicates. Thanks very much,
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
FourthStone

Re: High Score Challenge Nominations - Season 20

Post by FourthStone »

Three from me... bit late now but could you include the list of previous seasons games as text rather than a picture as per previous years nominations? Makes it so much easier to search for dupes.

Hard Hat Harry http://bbcmicro.co.uk//gameimg/discs/18 ... tHarry.ssd
Manic Miner 2021 http://bbcmicro.co.uk//gameimg/discs/35 ... WMINER.ssd
Felix And The Weevils http://bbcmicro.co.uk//gameimg/discs/23 ... rnsoft.ssd
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

FourthStone wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:24 am ... bit late now but could you include the list of previous seasons games as text rather than a picture as per previous years nominations? Makes it so much easier to search for dupes.
I was just trying to create a list that was more compact and not so looooonnnnnggggggg. Sorry if it doesn't work out. I won't change this one, it was a bit of work to create it but if people would prefer it back to the old way then I can do that next time.

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
FourthStone

Post by FourthStone »

KarateEd wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:14 am I was just trying to create a list that was more compact and not so looooonnnnnggggggg. Sorry if it doesn't work out. I won't change this one, it was a bit of work to create it but if people would prefer it back to the old way then I can do that next time.
All good and I like the idea, personally I've always preferred lists and plain text especially working in IT, sometimes customers email license keys as a screen shot and having to type it in rather than copy n paste is so fun :lol: [-X
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

FourthStone wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:05 am
KarateEd wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:14 am I was just trying to create a list that was more compact and not so looooonnnnnggggggg. Sorry if it doesn't work out. I won't change this one, it was a bit of work to create it but if people would prefer it back to the old way then I can do that next time.
All good and I like the idea, personally I've always preferred lists and plain text especially working in IT, sometimes customers email license keys as a screen shot and having to type it in rather than copy n paste is so fun :lol: [-X
I normally would too. I also worked in text within IT for about 35 years and it makes sense but I didn't think 5 seasons of games would be too onerous. I was trying to make it easy for people to see the game all at one time and as you know, editing in this type of system is anything but joyful. I now have a template that will make it easier for me to create but making it text is possible, just would have to use something other than space as a place holder because everything will run together if I use text and spaces but I could use dots, for instance, and then it serves both purposes.

klintworth

Post by klintworth »

Last edited by klintworth on Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Thank you Ed for continuing to run the HSC! Here's a few more that haven't appeared yet:

Krakout - http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=620

Monaco - http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=210

Zarm - http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=108
Atom / BBC B with Music 5000/4000/2000 / Electron / A3000 / Master 128
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

3 From me.....

Space Hi-Way
Qwak!
Bubble Bobble

sa_scott

Post by sa_scott »

Here's my three:

- Qwak!
- 3D Asteroids (The Micro User March 1989)
- Polymer Picker (cough!) :mrgreen:
--
Stephen Scott, Digital Media Muckerupper
Games: Androidz Redux, Headcase Hotel, Polymer Picker
www.sassquad.net
MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson »

I'm going to go for

Snapper (Acornsoft)

Chuckie Egg (A&F)

Nevryon (4th Dimension)
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

sa_scott wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:53 pm Here's my three:

- Qwak!
Sorry, Qwak! has already been picked......please check the choices that have picked before you when choosing your games....then I won't have to do extra work, thanks.

sa_scott

Post by sa_scott »

KarateEd wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:58 pm

- Qwak!
Sorry, Qwak! has already been picked......please check the choices that have picked before you when choosing your games....then I won't have to do extra work, thanks.
Whoops, I must have misread and assumed the more mentions, the more likely it would be shortlisted.

I'll amend my choice accordingly!
--
www.sassquad.net
Venger

Post by Venger »

Okay then, after careful deliberation, here are my 3 picks (no Peter Scott ones this time!):

Galaforce 2 : http://bbcmicro.co.uk//game.php?id=692

Crazee Rider : http://bbcmicro.co.uk//game.php?id=525

Mouse Trap : http://bbcmicro.co.uk//game.php?id=641
maniacminer

Post by maniacminer »

My three random choices;

Space Pilot - Superior Software - http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=122
Jet-Pac - Ultimate - http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=116
Space Adventure - Virgin - http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=2402
Big Model B Econet,Master 512,Electron,A3000,A540,Atom,Unilab 3-Chip Plus,6502,Z80,65C816,80186,32016,Matchbox,ARM7TDMI,Master 10/100,PiCoPro,Teletext,Music500,PiSCSI,Challenger3,Gotek,VideoNuLA,GoSDC,GoMMC,Integra-B,RGB2HDMIv4,Epson LQ-850 (for the win!)
maniacminer

Post by maniacminer »

I rustled up a searchable matrix of the existing games.
Season 19 Season 18 Season 17 Season 16 Season 15
Pipemania Missile Base Zenon Monsters Elementum
Blast 'em Block Buster Cops 'n' Robbers Bounty Bob Strikes Back Creep Cave
The Last of the Free Deathstar Frogger (Tricky's version) Castle Assault Psycastria 2
Tricky's Pacman Cybertron Mission Zuyder Zee Tetrapod Blagger
Bird Strike Meteors Astro Plumber Hobgoblin 2 Tempest
Drain Mania Blast! Fire Track Microcosm Whoopsy
Super Invaders Starship Command 2022 Vindaloo Kissin' Kousins Wallaby
Galactic Patrol Magic Mushrooms Banana Man Attack on Alpha Centauri Positron
Jet Power Jack Lady Bug Repton The Krystal Connection Kix
Hunkidory Smash & Grab Cavey Skirmish Nutcraka
Omega Orb Frenzy Cosmic Camouflage Killer Gorilla White Light
Robotron 2084
Big Model B Econet,Master 512,Electron,A3000,A540,Atom,Unilab 3-Chip Plus,6502,Z80,65C816,80186,32016,Matchbox,ARM7TDMI,Master 10/100,PiCoPro,Teletext,Music500,PiSCSI,Challenger3,Gotek,VideoNuLA,GoSDC,GoMMC,Integra-B,RGB2HDMIv4,Epson LQ-850 (for the win!)
FourthStone

Post by FourthStone »

maniacminer wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:52 pm I rustled up a searchable matrix of the existing games.
This looks great! =D>
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

maniacminer wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:52 pm I rustled up a searchable matrix of the existing games.
The Last of the Free Deathstar Frogger (Tricky's version) Castle Assault Psycastria 2
Robotron 2084
Looks good, mind if I borrow it for next Season?

sa_scott

Post by sa_scott »

- Qwak!
- JCB Digger?
--
www.sassquad.net
maniacminer

Post by maniacminer »

KarateEd wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:19 am
<snip>
Looks good, mind if I borrow it for next Season?
Sure! It helps out with choosing games :D
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

klintworth wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:27 pm Shark - http://bbcmicro.co.uk//game.php?id=680

Electrobots Going Underground - http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=4235
Couple of great choices there :D
maniacminer wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:38 pmJet-Pac - Ultimate - http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=116
Ah, I was going to suggest that classic!

My suggestions are:
Ransack
Thunderstruck II
Network

Just kidding! Let's give Mr Scott a break for a few weeks, eh? :lol:

Only one that comes to mind for me atm is Caveman Capers - http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=218
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Ok Folks,

Thanks for the contributions. I'll go about getting the page set up and we'll go from there with our first game of Season 21 where we will all start on the same footing.......0s all around.

KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Robotron 2084
Doh......the seasons are so long that I forget. I'm also really busy right now so may not get it done this time....but I'll make a note for myself...

Return to “8-bit acorn software: games - high scores”