VIDC shrunken screen modes

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
garfield

VIDC shrunken screen modes

Post by garfield »

For the VIDC screen modes targeted to standrd monitor type, can these be customised (via registers) to reduce the memory footprint used? In other words, use fewer rasterlines (vert) or narrower lines (horiz) ?

I know that the Beeb's CRTC can do this, but I'm not sure about the Archimedes's VIDC capabilities around this customisation.
SarahWalker

Re: VIDC shrunken screen modes

Post by SarahWalker »

Yes, screen size is fully configurable.
garfield

Post by garfield »

SarahWalker wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:09 pm Yes, screen size is fully configurable.
Thanks Sarah.
iomanoid

Post by iomanoid »

I’ve been going through a whole bunch of old Arc demos lately, and there were definitely a few that used less than the whole screen in weird ways.

There was at least one that seemed to do total overscan too, though. I always thought (back in the day) that that was a total impossibility with the Archimedes hardware. How??
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

iomanoid wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:17 pm There was at least one that seemed to do total overscan too, though. I always thought (back in the day) that that was a total impossibility with the Archimedes hardware. How??
I'd call standard RISC OS 3 screenmodes like 35/36 "overscan", but VIDC's pretty flexible in terms of its timings and capabilities so if you're willing to risk not conforming to accepted safe parameters, world's your lobster really. I remember being wowed at Tertis doing its "whole screen bounce" thing, which IIRC I copied for some game/demo or something - moves the 'whole screen' way in to the standard border area.
paulb

Post by paulb »

IanJeffray wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:29 pm I remember being wowed at Tertis doing its "whole screen bounce" thing
What I found rather interesting was that Acorn apparently used VIDC (with some additional interface logic) for their laser printer interface podule, doing the kind of direct driving of a print engine that became more familiar when Computer Concepts released their LaserDirect cards. See pages 137-138 and 150 of...

"Acorn Technical Publishing System Technical Reference Manual"
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

paulb wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:42 pm What I found rather interesting was that Acorn apparently used VIDC (with some additional interface logic) for their laser printer interface podule,
That's hilarious. Just using it as a DMAing 'serialiser' (albeit to 4bit) ?
iomanoid

Post by iomanoid »

IanJeffray wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:29 pm I'd call standard RISC OS 3 screenmodes like 35/36 "overscan", but VIDC's pretty flexible in terms of its timings and capabilities so if you're willing to risk not conforming to accepted safe parameters, world's your lobster really. I remember being wowed at Tertis doing its "whole screen bounce" thing, which IIRC I copied for some game/demo or something - moves the 'whole screen' way in to the standard border area.
Yeah I don’t think I’ve ever had a monitor that supports those beasts :( I mean standard basic (15kHz?) ones. Which is all I have here now, and this took over everything. Maybe I’m just easily impressed though :lol:

Which Tetris, btw? I only know/remember the BIA one. And now I’ll have that music running through my brain the next 24 hours, cheers #-o :wink:
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

iomanoid wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:45 am
IanJeffray wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:29 pm I'd call standard RISC OS 3 screenmodes like 35/36 "overscan", but VIDC's pretty flexible in terms of its timings and capabilities so if you're willing to risk not conforming to accepted safe parameters, world's your lobster really. I remember being wowed at Tertis doing its "whole screen bounce" thing, which IIRC I copied for some game/demo or something - moves the 'whole screen' way in to the standard border area.
Yeah I don’t think I’ve ever had a monitor that supports those beasts :( I mean standard basic (15kHz?) ones. Which is all I have here now, and this took over everything. Maybe I’m just easily impressed though :lol:
I believe those should work with any PAL standard monitor.
iomanoid wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:45 am Which Tetris, btw? I only know/remember the BIA one. And now I’ll have that music running through my brain the next 24 hours, cheers #-o :wink:
Tertis, not Tetris. By S.I.C.K. Here's a video of the screen-shaking effect : https://youtu.be/YYGulsgO-os?t=155
iomanoid

Post by iomanoid »

IanJeffray wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:18 am I believe those should work with any PAL standard monitor.
Even these SCART badgers? That’s cool, a new mode number or two is just what I need right now.
IanJeffray wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:18 am Tertis, not Tetris. By S.I.C.K. Here's a video of the screen-shaking effect : https://youtu.be/YYGulsgO-os?t=155
Haha - sorry, cloth gown confusion. Missed that one, looks lush, and I see what you’re saying. And Tetris videos are just so beautifully chilling 8)

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”