ABUG Canada West Meet Up #27 July 3 2023

for the announcement (and discussion) of confirmed physical and virtual ABug events ONLY
KarateEd

ABUG Canada West Meet Up #27 July 3 2023

Post by KarateEd »

Well, time for another story I guess.

Paul and I met up for an ABUG this past Monday and had a great time. The pics should tell the story.
Paul arriving at our meeting place, ready to do whatever needs doing to have fun.
Paul arriving at our meeting place, ready to do whatever needs doing to have fun.
This is the content of Paul's work to be done, much less than usual but still enough......almost!!!!
This is the content of Paul's work to be done, much less than usual but still enough......almost!!!!
The end of the music was clearly shown here but it did play for quite a bit of the meeting today.
The end of the music was clearly shown here but it did play for quite a bit of the meeting today.
I've really struggled with desoldering the holes on this board, I need another hand so will build one.....
I've really struggled with desoldering the holes on this board, I need another hand so will build one.....
I don't think I've broken anything yet but more care will be needed to advance beyond......this!
I don't think I've broken anything yet but more care will be needed to advance beyond......this!
My A3010 isn't seeing the monitor properly.  The best I've managed is a flashing cursor.  Not sure what's wrong yet but will strip it to bare minimum and try again.
My A3010 isn't seeing the monitor properly. The best I've managed is a flashing cursor. Not sure what's wrong yet but will strip it to bare minimum and try again.
After failing to get it working I'm contemplating my next move....yup....strip down and play some more.
After failing to get it working I'm contemplating my next move....yup....strip down and play some more.
I'll leave it like this for now, don't want to lose parts, do we?
I'll leave it like this for now, don't want to lose parts, do we?
On to the fun.  To be honest with the lack of success fixing our hardware, a good game was nice to play.  Both Paul and I got our best scores today.
On to the fun. To be honest with the lack of success fixing our hardware, a good game was nice to play. Both Paul and I got our best scores today.
And.....here's mine......
And.....here's mine......
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
KarateEd

Re: ABUG Canada West Meet Up #27 July 3 2023

Post by KarateEd »

And to finish off.......
As usual Paul has left me a very nice set of gifts for my reading pleasure and snapping on a button when needed.  Thanks Paul...... :-)
As usual Paul has left me a very nice set of gifts for my reading pleasure and snapping on a button when needed. Thanks Paul...... :-)
Though our successes weren't great as far as hardware, it was definitely heavy in the fun side.....really enjoyable time so ..... here's the obligatory selfie.....only in Canada.....
Though our successes weren't great as far as hardware, it was definitely heavy in the fun side.....really enjoyable time so ..... here's the obligatory selfie.....only in Canada.....
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
klintworth

Post by klintworth »

Part Two ........
It was a beautiful summer day, so I had the most magical drive up the Sea to Sky Highway to visit Ed in Squamish. Wonderful mountain views, as well as the sea views over Howe Sound. As always I was greeted by Ed's Hybrid Music 500 playing Genesis songs from A Trick of the Tail - love those songs! Once I'd had one of Ed's great coffees I started setting up, only to realise that I'd left some vital gear behind (my Music 5000, a Gotek, speakers and more!!) Oh well, that scuppered my plan of using My Electron with the Hybrid Music System. Onto Plan B! I played Crazee Rider (the current HSC game) on the Electron using the amazing Mega Games Cartridge to see how it was in comparison to the Beeb version. A lot more basic!!
IMG_1086.jpeg
Crazee Rider on the Electron
IMG_1087.jpeg
Look, Ma! I'm #1!! :lol:

Not having accomplished much on the Electron, I then set up my Master Compact to get to grips properly with Crazee Rider for the current HSC. First of all I practised sideswiping other riders to rack up a higher bonus. Then it was time for lunch. Ed had prepared chicken pie with peas and carrots - very yummy!!

We then spent the rest of the afternoon competing in Crazee Rider, and I managed to qualify for Track 2. Ed was kindly qiving me useful driving tips, and I ended up riding reasonably well. We both got personal High Scores and sore wrists from keyboard handling!!
IMG_1096.jpeg
My personal best for the day!!

I didn't take many photos as this wasn't a highly productive day, but it was so good to see Ed again and enjoy some honest Acorn fun!! Ed kindly gave me a USB3 hub, as well as USB C adaptors. He also gave me a full set of Icelandic crime thrillers to read in the summer (I guess he thinks that my summer isn't that busy, ha ha!!)
IMG_1078.jpeg
Useful USB goodies
IMG_1079.jpeg
A full set of Icelandic crime thrillers!!

Can't wait for the next ABUG Canada West, scheduled for the end of August (and I'll make sure I take all the gear this time!!) Thanks, Ed! =D>
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot
tricky

Post by tricky »

You two always look like you are having a great time and still manage to accomplish more in one ABUG than I do in all of them!
Thanks for sharing :)

Return to “acorn & bbc micro user group (abug) events”