RPG project

developing/porting a new game or gaming framework? post in here!
tricky

Re: RPG project

Post by tricky »

Love them, and Harry also looks like Clark Kent.
Naomasa298

Post by Naomasa298 »

tricky wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:02 am Love them, and Harry also looks like Clark Kent.
Yeah, that occurred to me as well. :)
Naomasa298

Post by Naomasa298 »

Progress this week - character creation is pretty much done.

When creating a character, you can reduce one of your starting stat ranks by one for one extra point to put elsewhere. However, resistances can be reduced all the way down to D.

The sex of the character depends on the face you select. This will affect equipment the character can equip.

You cannot start the adventure unless you have 4 characters in your party.

Still to do:
I've only drawn the class portraits for the first 3 classes, so the others still to do.
There's a graphics anomaly when you move the face selector into the rightmost position. Need to fix.
Need to write the function that allows you to view a character once created.
Load game function (but that will wait until I've written the save game!)
Attachments
legend.dsd
(131.25 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Iapetus

Post by Iapetus »

Keep up the awesome work! Looking forward to the next update. =D> =D>
Naomasa298

Post by Naomasa298 »

I drew another character portrait last night and my PC crashed in the middle of it, so I lost all the work I'd done. Grr!

Bet my Model B would have never done that...
Snuggsy187

Post by Snuggsy187 »

Top work on this ! =D> =D>

Hadn't seen it since your VABug talk, impressive progress ! :D
DROP PARCHMENT > POKE LOCK > PULL PARCHMENT > CURSE > BARGE DOOR > GO DOOR
Twitter: @snuggsy187
Dave Footitt

Post by Dave Footitt »

Naomasa298 wrote:
That is indeed him! His lust for diamonds has led him down a dark path...

Actually, drawing this picture gave me an idea - there will be a hidden Acorn tribute dungeon, where you will meet certain characters from various Acorn games over the years (probably minus our little green friend due to copyright reasons).
Fantastic idea!

Looking really nice fella =D>
Naomasa298

Post by Naomasa298 »

Trying to draw some wilderness graphics. The view is tiled like the city, but only draws 3 squares ahead.

I'm not stunningly happy with this. What do you think?
wild.png
wild.png (3.87 KiB) Viewed 4386 times
AJW

Post by AJW »

Naomasa298 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:10 pm This is SO not going according to plan.

Checked out the Creative Assembler sprite code. I swear I originally used it for MODE5 sprites, but it's designed for MODE2. I must have modified the code. But it also only works on 4 pixel boundaries. My graphic tiles aren't designed that way. OK, so that's fine, I'll just offset them. Except that's not going to work, since the code EORs pixels onto the screen. No big deal to change, except the way I'm overlaying tiles on top of one another, I need to mask some pixels, and the CA code doesn't support masks.

*sigh* So... 1) design a sprite format that supports masks (which also means doubling the size of sprites) 2) write a routine to display them 3) write a program to convert Windows BMP files into a format that reflects the MODE5 screen layout + masks.

I'd quite forgotten how the BBC's screen is laid out in a non-linear fashion. At least part 3 is going well (did it in RISC OS because handling byte arrays and binary file I/O is a pain in VB). Part 2 will be fun, since I can't even remember what most 6502 op-codes do any more.

In the meantime, sharing some of the static graphics I've designed so far. The Adventurer's Guild (where you create characters) plus knight and warrior character portraits.

Sorry for the rambling post.

I had a look at the Creative Assembler plotter a while ago but couldnt see any description on how he was doing clipping so had to figure out myself.

Did you say what you were using to draw your pictures? Very atmospheric.
AJW

Post by AJW »

Naomasa298 wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:55 pm Trying to draw some wilderness graphics. The view is tiled like the city, but only draws 3 squares ahead.

I'm not stunningly happy with this. What do you think?

wild.png
Great to me like Twin Kingdom Valley.
Naomasa298

Post by Naomasa298 »

AJW wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:14 pm I had a look at the Creative Assembler plotter a while ago but couldnt see any description on how he was doing clipping so had to figure out myself.

Did you say what you were using to draw your pictures? Very atmospheric.
I haven't bothered with clipping. It hasn't been necessary so far.

I use GIMP. The pictures above are old versions, in MODE5. They've since been redrawn in MODE2. Download the latest disc image to see what they look like now.
marcusjambler

Post by marcusjambler »

Really looking forward to this... I love RPGs =D>
tricky

Post by tricky »

I like the wilderness graphics, but it does seem like it might feel odd seeing empty feels and then next step something is there.
I can't think of anyway around it, but I'm pretty sure that after a few minutes play, you would get used to it and be re-immersed.
Naomasa298

Post by Naomasa298 »

Yes, unfortunately, the wilderness tiles have to be masked, so the uncompressed sprites are twice the size as the city sprites, and they'll be slower to draw. I have to compromise somewhere, so I'm only drawing three squares ahead. The scenery won't quite come out of nowhere, but it won't exactly appear on the horizon. As things stand, I can get six sets of tiles in for cities and dungeons, but probably only 4 for the wilderness - so forest, mountains (well, big rocks), city walls and maybe bushes. Anything else, like desert is going to look a bit silly, you'd end up having a sand dune sitting next to a patch of lush grassland.
garfield

Post by garfield »

I like the graphics posted so far.

Return to “new projects in development: games”