Re: Doctor Who and the Mines of Terror

Post by Michael Brown »

Cheers too Tom!

regards,
Mick.
tom_seddon

Post by tom_seddon »

Done - get it here: http://ffe3.com/beeb/DoctorWhoAndTheMinesOfTerror.zip - in the interests of not waiting forever for my ancient scanner, it's just the pages with English language BBC Micro stuff on them, and some ancillary bits, and at 150dpi.

(I did a test scan at 600dpi, and one single page was 55MBytes when zipped, so that put me off too :))

I rotated everything so you can read it on screen, but didn't do any actual editing. The map is about 50% longer than a piece of A4, so I scanned it in 4 pieces, but there should be enough overlap that you can figure out how it all fits together.

Judging by the manifest on the back of the box, my copy had everything except for the secret decoder card. (I know I used to have it! - and I doubt I'd have deliberately ever thrown it out. So it may yet turn up, and I'll scan it if it does.)

--Tom
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

Thanks Tom for the scans of the documentation :D
Regards Peter.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Fantastic!
I will check these against those on my Disc027 asap and see if there are any noticable changes.

regards,
Mick.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

tom_seddon wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:04 am Judging by the manifest on the back of the box, my copy had everything except for the secret decoder card. (I know I used to have it! - and I doubt I'd have deliberately ever thrown it out. So it may yet turn up, and I'll scan it if it does.)
Did the decoder card ever turn up, Tom? I can't seem to find it online anywhere.

:?:
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

I assume you mean this card that comes with the game.
DrWho 6.jpg
Regards Peter.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Beat me to it!

22763072-49A0-4416-B5D6-2B1F7EF63D1C.jpeg

Is anything else missing?
Adventure Language on GitHub
Atom, issue 5, YARRB + video noise killer
Elk
A number of econetted (is that a word?) Beebs
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA
tom_seddon

Post by tom_seddon »

Marvellous =D> - there don't seem to be all that many copies of Mines of Terror around, so this is a good contribution! Hopefully we've now got a full set of docs for it publicly available.

(I never found my copy of the decoder card in the end. It's possible it'll turn up when (if?) I move, but I doubt it. I'm pretty sure I've gone through all of my garaged storage crates and boxes now.)

--Tom
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

vanekp wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:31 pm I assume you mean this card that comes with the game. DrWho 6.jpg
Thank you! And thanks to Tom for the rest of the doc scans! And to BillC and STH for the Master/B+ version!

=D> =D> =D>

Added to bbcmicro.co.uk:

http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=473

Lardo Boffin wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:12 pm Is anything else missing?
I think we’ve got everything now..?

:?:
B3_B3_B3

Post by B3_B3_B3 »

When the game was being created, was supplying 16?k of sideways ram rather than a rom not affordable?...it would have avoided the large upfront stock cost/stock of a masked rom and could have popularised more 16k sram extended games,?
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

B3_B3_B3 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:22 pm When the game was being created, was supplying 16?k of sideways ram rather than a rom not affordable?...it would have avoided the large upfront stock cost/stock of a masked rom and could have popularised more 16k sram extended games,?
Would've likely tripled the price, considering 2 x 6264 on a board with RW lead, which would be harder for the average user to install.

Prices from a Watford advert of August 1985:
EPROM_WE_Aug85.png
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
markusher

Post by markusher »

B3_B3_B3 wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:22 pm When the game was being created, was supplying 16?k of sideways ram rather than a rom not affordable?...it would have avoided the large upfront stock cost/stock of a masked rom and could have popularised more 16k sram extended games,?
It wasn't a masked ROM - just a normal EPROM.
-Mark
2 x BBC, 1 Viglen BBC, M128, M512, M128+copro, 1 Master ET, BBC AIV Domesday System, E01S, E01, E20 Filestore, 3 x A4000, RISC PC 600,700, StrongArm. Probably more I've missed and all sorts of bits and pieces.

Return to “archive submissions”