Pitfall

fizgog

Pitfall

Post by fizgog »

Pitfall, 40+ years after the original, now available for The BBC Micro Model B, B+ and BBC Master series computers.

You have 20 minutes to collect all the treasure with 3 lives, can you collect them all!

Title.png
Loader.png
InGame.png

Also compatible with VideoNuLA if fitted
nula.png

Controls
Z and X for left and right, * and / for up and down and Return for jump

To exit swinging press the down key

Pressing Escape will exit current playing game and then Escape again will exit the game

Joystick compatible for The BBC and Master (sorry not Compact)

P to toggle pause on or off
S to toggle Sound on or off
J to toggle Joystick or Keyboard

Pitfall.ssd
(36 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

NB Source code coming soon to a GitHub near you

https://github.com/fizgog/Pitfall
Last edited by fizgog on Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pitfall, Gridrunner, Matrix: Gridrunner 2, LaserZone, AcornViewer, AcornPad
Rob_hawk

Re: Pitfall

Post by Rob_hawk »

A wonderful conversion of one of the first games I ever played on a friends Atari. It’s been great to see you get this over the line, a true labour of love and the end result is very fitting of your dedication throughout. Who’d have thought all these years on that we’d be getting such high quality new software like this for our Acorns!!

Can’t wait for what’s next once you’ve recovered!!

Rob
bob147

Post by bob147 »

Well done @fizgog, I'm sure like many I was reading your dev blog and cheering you on to get it over the line! It's always that last bit of polish that's the hardest part isn't it? Just fired it up on my Master and played for 5 minutes to test it out, I enjoyed the little tunes when you catch the rope and lose a life. I never had an Atari back in the day, so this is basically a new game for me despite its global fame/success. :D
fizgog

Post by fizgog »

Rob_hawk wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:02 pm Can’t wait for what’s next once you’ve recovered!!
After flue, it’s now turned into a chest infection, so coughing all the time and annoying everyone, but I’m on antibiotics.

Not decided yet on what to do next for 6502 coding, I would like to create a C# sprite editor as I currently use beebspriter but it’s missing some features and you can’t swap sprites between modes, like you can do with AcornPad.
bob147 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:59 pm I'm sure like many I was reading your dev blog…
Thanks I wasn’t sure if anybody but a select few read them and had considered not bothering in future and just releasing stuff when it’s finished

Regards
Shaun
jms2

Post by jms2 »

fizgog wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:17 pm Thanks I wasn’t sure if anybody but a select few read them and had considered not bothering in future and just releasing stuff when it’s finished.
I have been reading them with interest... just not commenting because I have never seen Pitfall before so didn't have anything much to contribute. And you seemed to be making terrific progress.

Now it is finished I will of course try it, and respond here. Congratulations! =D>
Rob_hawk

Post by Rob_hawk »

fizgog wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:17 pm
Rob_hawk wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:02 pm Can’t wait for what’s next once you’ve recovered!!
After flue, it’s now turned into a chest infection, so coughing all the time and annoying everyone, but I’m on antibiotics.

Not decided yet on what to do next for 6502 coding, I would like to create a C# sprite editor as I currently use beebspriter but it’s missing some features and you can’t swap sprites between modes, like you can do with AcornPad.
bob147 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:59 pm I'm sure like many I was reading your dev blog…
Thanks I wasn’t sure if anybody but a select few read them and had considered not bothering in future and just releasing stuff when it’s finished
Well I hope that clears up soon - lots of it around this winter.

The Sprite editor sounds like it would be another good addition and I’m sure a tool that people here myself included would use a lot.

As for the development log posts - I’ve read every single post that you’ve written for Pitfall. Life’s been hectic so hadn’t been able to comment as often as with Matrix 2. They are informative and inspirational for people like myself who are slowly picking up programming in Basic and assembler from scratch. I think that having access to updates and gaining an understanding of the challenges that arise throughout the development process and how they are resolved is an excellent and unique way to learn. Having these dev posts available along with GitHub pages with the source code is great so I really hope you carry on with them!!

Get well soon Shaun.

Cheers

Rob
amgdiceman

Post by amgdiceman »

Just wanted to say thanks. I think its a great conversion and you've done an outstanding job.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

Fantastic work! Congratulations!

=D> =D> =D>

Pitfall! is now on bbcmicro.co.uk:

http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=4295

:idea:
barbarossa69

Post by barbarossa69 »

Awesome! This was one of the first games I ever played on my cousin's Atari.

Brings back a lot of memories :)
Rob_hawk

Post by Rob_hawk »

lurkio wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:05 am
Pitfall! is now on bbcmicro.co.uk:

http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=4295
Another great game added to the best retro games site going =D> =D>
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Well done for seeing this through to the end. I never owned this BITD - was always played at a friend's house! Pitfall 2 next ;)
Castle Defender, Untitled Dungeon Game, Night Ninja, Wordle, Waffle, Acorn Island, Beebchase, Ghostbusters
fizgog

Post by fizgog »

ChrisB wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:04 pm Well done for seeing this through to the end. I never owned this BITD - was always played at a friend's house! Pitfall 2 next ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I’m all Pitfalled out, I might do another Atari conversion at some point in the future though
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

Hahaha, I also wondered if you might go for Pitfall 2 after this. Seems to be a lot more going on there, in terms of game dynamics and the vertical scrolling, so I imagine it's beyond the capabilities of a standard machine!

Congrats on finishing the first one though. Haven't noticed any more issues with it :D =D>
fizgog

Post by fizgog »

I was thinking more of Aventure or Haunted House from the 2600

But I’ve got things such as Laser Zone and 3D Monster Maze lined up before them
oss003

Post by oss003 »

Nice job ..... great game and I enjoyed reading your coding blog ... =D>
Keep up the good work.

Greetings
Kees
archie456

Post by archie456 »

Here's a ready made advert for you (starring Jack Black)... just to slip in 'and BBC Micro' towards the end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA4V-n8Ft3g&t=35s
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

fizgog wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:35 pm I was thinking more of Aventure or Haunted House from the 2600

But I’ve got things such as Laser Zone and 3D Monster Maze lined up before them
Oooh! Adventure! That would be awesome. 8)
Adventure Language on GitHub
Atom, issue 5, YARRB + video noise killer
Elk
A number of econetted (is that a word?) Beebs
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA
fizgog

Post by fizgog »

archie456 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:11 pm Here's a ready made advert for you (starring Jack Black)... just to slip in 'and BBC Micro' towards the end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA4V-n8Ft3g&t=35s
Never thought he did anything as a kid, always thought he appeared from nowhere, great singer though
Lardo Boffin wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:48 am Oooh! Adventure! That would be awesome. 8)
It’s on a list of things to do but my list seems to keep getting bigger and bigger.

I thought with a bank holiday we just had I would get a lot of coding done, but my family had other ideas, so I’ve done nothing on my current LaserZone project :(

The only thing I’ve been doing in the time I had was reading about how they did the rooms logic in Berserk, which I found interesting.

Return to “miscellaneous new bbc and electron games”