High Score Challenge - S20 - R03 - Shark

post your own high scores or enter our challenge competitions
maniacminer

Re: High Score Challenge - S20 - R03 - Shark

Post by maniacminer »

Venger wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:51 pm You'll all be pleased to know that the game doesn't cater for any score over 1000000 and, not only rolls over to zero, but didn't recognise that my score of 1018100 was higher than my previous go of 231350, which stayed as my high score. I did a few screen shots though, just in case this happened and I couldn't prove my score. I took a shot just before I hit 1000000 and one just after. I don't think I'll be playing again after that!
Phew! Well done! I was thinking about trying for the million by staying in the middle of level 2 and sticking a screwdriver in the space and return keys whilst sorting out the garden :lol:
Big Model B Econet,Master 512,Electron,A3000,A540,Atom,Unilab 3-Chip Plus,6502,Z80,65C816,80186,32016,Matchbox,ARM7TDMI,Master 10/100,PiCoPro,Teletext,Music500,PiSCSI,Challenger3,Gotek,VideoNuLA,GoSDC,GoMMC,Integra-B,RGB2HDMIv4,Epson LQ-850 (for the win!)
Rod C

Post by Rod C »

I got a bit further in level 4 and my second last life was taken out while I was crouching but a soldier fired while jumping into a chasm and got me in the ankle! Then at the start of my last life I couldn't scamper away from the bombs quickly enough. It's a fun game but I think the scoring system doesn't really work very well for the HSC.

I also got caught out on level 3 when I was looking ahead into a clear scene with no fire coming but forgot to check for bullets that had gone past me. It's easy to think that you're safe when the firing stops but with the slow pace of the bullets and the big gap in collision detection, the last straggling bullet can get you from behind when you stand up to move forward. I thought this might explain some of the perceived glitches.

The invulnerability feature is definitely timed to 13 beeps but it's possible to pick up another invulnerability pack before the first runs out. Then it goes straight into another 13 beeps when the first one times out.

349650.PNG
Venger

Post by Venger »

Rod C wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:14 pm It's a fun game but I think the scoring system doesn't really work very well for the HSC.
Yeah, I totally agree about the scoring system. At least we'll know not to pick it again, I suppose. It's all a learning process and it's interesting how we never noticed some major flaws in games as kids.
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Venger wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:55 pm
Rod C wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:14 pm It's a fun game but I think the scoring system doesn't really work very well for the HSC.
Yeah, I totally agree about the scoring system. At least we'll know not to pick it again, I suppose. It's all a learning process and it's interesting how we never noticed some major flaws in games as kids.
Probably the reason was BECAUSE we were kids, well, some of us were, I wasn't. I was a late starter in computers. My first computer was 1978, a chicklet keyboard Commodore PET. At that time I was 28 so a kid sort of but not quite. The main reason would have been it was a process of learning with nothing to compare it against at the time, it was all new.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
Venger

Post by Venger »

KarateEd wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:15 am
Venger wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:55 pm
Probably the reason was BECAUSE we were kids, well, some of us were, I wasn't. I was a late starter in computers. My first computer was 1978, a chicklet keyboard Commodore PET. At that time I was 28 so a kid sort of but not quite. The main reason would have been it was a process of learning with nothing to compare it against at the time, it was all new.
Yeah, I agree with your points there, Ed. I also think that we were a lot more accepting then and attitudes have changed a lot. Nowadays people just won't accept a product if it's not quite right, and aren't afraid to voice their discontent. There are far more places to voice this discontent these days too, mainly due to the rise of the internet and social media. This usually results in numerous patches in modern games; something that just wasn't feasible back in the early years of computer gaming.
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

Venger wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:41 am ...This usually results in numerous patches in modern games; something that just wasn't feasible back in the early years of computer gaming.
Just lolling at the idea of patches being released on a cassette format...

Having to send away for it, wait for snail mail to deliver, and then to have to pop a tape in for it to spend seconds loading a few bytes of extra code :lol:
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

So, got past level 4 (which is level 1 with crazy amounts of baddies) and died at the very beginning of level 5 (which is a repeat of level 2 with a ton more of baddies). I was on that level for about 20-30 minutes.

I think your 1mil+ is pretty safe Venger. It was insane on level 5. I got to level 4 pretty quickly after about 200k points.

Anyway, broke 500k which I think isn't bad in this game.
Shark-5.png

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
FourthStone

Post by FourthStone »

Finally had another chance to play, got to level 2... probably still makes me in last place :lol:

Score: 49950
Shark_2023.PNG

EDIT: ** Updated after another go... still last :lol: **
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

FourthStone wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:16 am Finally had another chance to play, got to level 2... probably still makes me in last place :lol:

Score: 49950
Shark_2023.PNG

EDIT: ** Updated after another go... still last :lol: **
That would be correctomundo my friend. Keep going.....you'll definitely have a breakthrough.

Rod C

Post by Rod C »

That's it for me. I got to the mother ship on level 3 a few more times but couldn't get up to the vantage point.

I suppose others have found that it's possible to really press on through level 2 trying not to stop and ignoring the drops. The timing mostly takes you under the helicopters and through other enemies but you have to watch out for the occasional bullet or bomb.
KarateEd wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:38 pm So, got past level 4 (which is level 1 with crazy amounts of baddies) and died at the very beginning of level 5 (which is a repeat of level 2 with a ton more of baddies). I was on that level for about 20-30 minutes.
That's amazing, Ed! Nice work.
Venger wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:51 pm my score of 1018100
And that's truly phenomenal, Venger!

I enjoyed this game but two weeks is definitely enough. :lol:
MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson »

I think this is a new high score - I seemed to have it stuck in my head it wasn't a new high score, nearly quit the emulator !
Attachments
Shark.jpg
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

High Score Tables Updated for Season 20, Round 03......

Here's a game that probably many have not played. It's a bit weird, the collision seems a bit off and the scoring system is basically unknown as far as I can tell. It also seems to require a bit of luck on how many lives you store for future use. I can't figure that out.

Having said all that I will say in spite of it's flaws I enjoyed playing it. There's something in my psyche that kept me going back to it in spite of the fact I was starting to tire of it. Good thing it was only 2 weeks.

Anyway we do have a winner ....... the winner this time is Venger with an absolutely absurd score of over 1 million. Congratulations on a great high score and win Venger, that was not easy to do I'll bet. =D> =D> =D>

On a side note I'd like to thank all those who played this round. We had 9 playing this game this round so.....Thank you!!! It seems we are mostly averaging out at 11 so this participation is below average.

As usual please check to ensure I've not missed anyone's scores because it's easy to miss things on this and I really don't want to do that for anyone's hard earned score.

MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson »

If I had have had more time I could have definitely increased my score. This is a fun game, most enjoyable round for a while, as I knew I could keep getting better and not get stuck at a particular point.

The game has it's flaws , the grenades being chucked at you were sometimes hard to get out of the way, it would have been nice to have had some to throw back ! definite collision detection issues - lost a number of lives with nothing around me. Was a bit annoying where you get boxed in at the start of a level and can't actually move due to endless enemies coming at you - then just when you start moving a helicopter gets in the way !

Plus immortality should mean that, not selected protection! - and would have been nice to have more than 3 levels, but other than that, good game, good fun.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: games - high scores”