New release: Pixel Dash - Rabbit Rampage (Educraft) by Andrew Rowland

new games released by educraft limited / educraft.uk
Arcadian
Site Admin

New release: Pixel Dash - Rabbit Rampage (Educraft) by Andrew Rowland

Post by Arcadian »

New game release: PIXEL DASH - Rabbit Rampage
(c) Andrew Rowland 2022-23.
Published by Educraft Limited, 9 April 2023.
For the Acorn BBC Master 128 (ADFS "L" format image)

Educraft use the Pixel Dash suite of programs to teach children about game design and coding. To help overview the gameplay mechanics during the Easter 2023 workshops, three 'professional' sets of 10 levels were designed by Colin Hoad, Jasper Renow-Clarke and Barbarossa Smith. Children will typically attempt to play through these screens before they begin designing their own graphics and levels.

As an Easter 'gift' to the Acorn community, Educraft have published the 'professional' level sets for the Spring 2023 build as a standalone ADL disc image, exclusively on the Complete BBC Micro Games Archive: http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=4314

Please bear in mind that the levels have been designed with younger children in mind - though some of the later levels - particularly those contained within the Barbarossa set - may still prove challenging, even to seasoned BBC Micro gamers!

To try some of the level sets designed by kids at Educraft events, please visit http://play.educraft.uk

For the Christmas themed levels check out the "Santa's Super Sprint" uploads. For the Easter themed levels (coming soon) keep an eye out for the "Rabbit Rampage" compilations.

Whilst I'm here, we're on the lookout for a few more 'professional' level sets with a "summer" theme for our July/August activities. So if you think you have what it takes to design a full set of graphics plus 10 screens, please contact me at dave {at} bbcmicro {dot} com (note I'm away this week running more Pixel Dash workshops, and then I'm heading straight to the ABug meetup in Camberley, so I may not be able to respond immediately). An exclusive limited edition Rabbit Rampage postcard/certificate is up for grabs for anyone that designs a nice set of levels (wooo!).

Speaking of the ABug event, I intend to once again demo the screen designer and the sprite editor for anyone present that fancies a crack at creating a few sprites/levels. Ditto for the RISC OS Wakefield show in Bradford a week later.

Note: the software has intentionally been written (almost) exclusively in BBC BASIC as we allow the kids to change the code. We're aware there are some 'performance issues' when one or more Meanies are on the loose!
Attachments
PixelDash-RabbitRampage_Easter2023_01-EducraftLogo.png
PixelDash-RabbitRampage_Easter2023_02-LoadingScreen.png
PixelDash-RabbitRampage_Easter2023_03-Menu.png
PixelDash-RabbitRampage_Easter2023_04-ColinHoad-TitleScreen.png
PixelDash-RabbitRampage_Easter2023_05-ColinHoad-Level1.png
PixelDash-RabbitRampage_Easter2023_06-picosonic-TitleScreen.png
PixelDash-RabbitRampage_Easter2023_07-picosonic-Level1.png
PixelDash-RabbitRampage_Easter2023_08-Barbarossa-TitleScreen.png
PixelDash-RabbitRampage_Easter2023_09-Barbarossa-Level1.png
A4_PixelDash-RabbitRampage.jpg
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
picosonic

Re: New release: Pixel Dash - Rabbit Rampage (Educraft) by Andrew Rowland

Post by picosonic »

Great to see it’s now released for others to try out.

I had fun making the Easter themed graphics and levels for this and my 4yr old daughter really enjoyed helping me with play testing. She still regularly asks me to play it again!

I love what you’re doing and think it’s great getting more kids into retro gaming, coding and graphic/level design. Especially as it’s using Acorn OS and BBC Basic !

I wish you every success with your endeavours.

Play testing
Play testing
barbarossa69

Post by barbarossa69 »

This looks great! I really enjoyed designing the sprites and levels, I had a lot of fun!

If I get time I’ll see if I can design some more.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Jasper - yesterday my 5 year old nephew and 2 year old niece were busy designing (and 'playtesting' levels together). Quite incredible really.

Again, thanks for doing the designs Jasper/Barbarossa (and Colin D), we actually printed out some sprite sheets using your graphics and the kids certainly found them a useful resource, as It's not easy to draw an egg shape without a reference ...

PC-Walsall_230404_A-PixelDash_001.JPG

We also saw quite a few games that (re)used the bees (or variants of the bees) from Jasper's level sets! :)

More photos from the provision I was at in Walsall last week FYI:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/educraftu ... 0307410778
picosonic

Post by picosonic »

I would have loved to have something like this available when I was at school, and as I’ve said my kids both enjoyed it.

There’s something really satisfying for kids about using games as a creative outlet, to not only play but to make something that’s their own.

My son in particular likes making new levels for me to try and complete his fiendish puzzles.

Good stuff
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Thanks Jasper, we had another cracking Pixel Dash session in Gloucester today, all the kids were glued to Rabbit Rampage from morning until 5pm when they had to go home. A few of them literally had to be dragged out of the room by their parents, such was their eagerness to finish off their level designs(!). Some photos here if you're interested (N.B. all parents/carers signed a waiver form allowing photography inc publication).

Oh and btw, I asked some of the participants today to hold up the pixel art templates featuring the graphics you and Colin2 designed - so you could all get a better look at them! Once again they were constantly used/referenced throughout the day.

Attachments
PD_Gloucester_230411_E-RabbitRampage_039_50pc.jpg
colinhoad

Post by colinhoad »

Arcadian wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:11 am Oh and btw, I asked some of the participants today to hold up the pixel art templates featuring the graphics you and Colin2 designed - so you could all get a better look at them! Once again they were constantly used/referenced throughout the day.
This is very humbling, it's lovely to see my graphics blown up like this and being used to inspire the kids with their own levels and designs! :D
jms2

Post by jms2 »

I've got to say, I was really impressed by the quality and playability of these games. I played through Colin's version and really enjoyed it - I know it's supposed to be for kids but I did have to stop and think a few times!

Considering these are written in BASIC (I assume) they're brilliant.
colinhoad

Post by colinhoad »

jms2 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:38 pm I've got to say, I was really impressed by the quality and playability of these games. I played through Colin's version and really enjoyed it - I know it's supposed to be for kids but I did have to stop and think a few times!

Considering these are written in BASIC (I assume) they're brilliant.
You're too kind :oops: But honestly, the praise should all go to Andrew, he coded everything, including the editors that allowed me (and the kids!) to create the sprites and levels. It's a real achievement!
jms2

Post by jms2 »

Is Andrew someone on here?
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

jms2 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:01 pm Is Andrew someone on here?
Yes.

One post in the last 11 years though!

Return to “educraft (new bbc master games)”