Disk Preservation and Writing Tools

discuss pc<>acorn file transfer issues and the use of other utils
andrewvideo

Re: Disk Preservation and Writing Tools

Post by andrewvideo »

HI guys.

I am stuck and lost. Can some help please.

I have a GreaseWeazle + 7 and I am trying to workout how to copy ADFS disc and open the image file in ADFS explorer. I try using HxCFloppyEmulator to convert from SCP to ADF. I am getting no joy. What other software I need to use or what commands i need to do. I am new this.

Thank you.
danielj

Post by danielj »

ADF is amiga format, you need to convert it to an IMG and rename that as an ADF.

Click export, then choose "img" as the export type, and make sure that the resulting file is 640kb in size.
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Archimedes emulators need the extension for their discs to be .ADF. The image format is different from the Amiga ADF format.

BBC emulators need their ADFS discs to have the .ADL or .ADM extension. ADL is double sided 80T and ADM is single sided 80T.

A converter, such as Omniflop will always convert Acorn ADFS format to ADL (or ADM if chosen). The ADL image must have the extension changed to ADF if it is for an Archimedes otherwise the emulator will assume the image is a BBC 640K image rather than the Archimedes 800K/1.6M image.
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
danielj

Post by danielj »

Quick bump up the active topics list to note that I've added AppleSauce to the sticky :)

d.
Coeus

Post by Coeus »

I have a Greaseweazle and a stack of discs of unknown provenance, though none seem to be damaged. In order to avoid reading each more than once, I have been through and read each disc to an SCP file.

What I'd like to do now is to work out what is on them. The 'gw convert' sub-command seems happy to do a conversion if you can tell it what you expect to be on the disk, and this makes sense when converting into one of the sector formats like SSD. What seems to be missing is a way to tell it to look at each track and work out what is there. If I try to get gw convert to convert to a format like IMD, which will handle sector data and the associated IDs without needing to know which system the disc came from, it complains that the tracks (read from the SCP file) are not IBM.FM or IBM.MFM. The chances are they are actually one or the other - I doubt I have anything in GCR, but I don't know which. The disc could be from a BBC Micro with either an Acorn DFS (FM) or Solidisk DDFS (MFM), an IBM PC, a Research Machines RM380Z or a variety of proprietary DEC equipment and maybe others too. Is there a good tool to look at the SCP file to help with this?

EDIT: To answer my own question, the disk-analyse command from Kier's disk-utilities seems like one tool for doing this.
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

HxCFloppyEmulator is also very good at looking what a disk looks like (visual indication) and if there are problems, it would have to be in a format that it supports.
Regards Peter.

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”