Greaseweazle read 80T DFS straight to ssd?

discuss pc<>acorn file transfer issues and the use of other utils
steve3000

Greaseweazle read 80T DFS straight to ssd?

Post by steve3000 »

I've just got myself a Greaseweazle v4, and trying it out to archive many of my old 5.25" DFS/DDFS discs.

None of my discs are copy protected, so I've tried to keep things simple by using the basic greaseweazle software through Windows and with this, I can happily read a 40 track DFS disc straight to a .ssd image, using:

Code: Select all

gw read --drive=0 --tracks c=0-39:h=0 --format acorn.dfs.ss testdfs.ssd
However if I try to read an 80 track disc, by changing the track range to "c=0-79", the software cuts off at track 40 with an error "WARNING: Out of range for for format 'acorn.dfs.ss'", and only produces a 100kb output of the first 40 tracks.

The only other DFS format option is double sided "acorn.dfs.ds" but this gives the same error if I try to read past track 39.

Does anyone know if there a way to persuade the greaseweazle software to read all the tracks/sectors off one side of an 80 track DFS disc and output a .ssd 200kb file?
gfoot

Re: Greaseweazle read 80T DFS straight to ssd?

Post by gfoot »

I'm pretty sure I've done it using pretty much the command you used there, so I'm surprised it didn't work. Perhaps you're using an older version of the software - though mine isn't incredibly up-to-date either!

If you're stuck you may be able to read the first half of the disc into one ssd and the second half into another, then join them together using the "copy" command with "+":

copy lowtracks.ssd+hightracks.ssd fulldisc.ssd
steve3000

Post by steve3000 »

gfoot wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:33 pm I'm pretty sure I've done it using pretty much the command you used there, so I'm surprised it didn't work. Perhaps you're using an older version of the software - though mine isn't incredibly up-to-date either!
Interesting, I downloaded the software from git about an hour ago, so it should be up to date. Possibly something has changed from previously?
If you're stuck you may be able to read the first half of the disc into one ssd and the second half into another, then join them together using the "copy" command with "+":

copy lowtracks.ssd+hightracks.ssd fulldisc.ssd
Good call, but no luck. I've just tried this, reading the first half with c=0-39 and the second half with c=40-79. However the second half output is just filled with repeated text 'BAD SECTOR'.
gfoot

Post by gfoot »

Ah. Mine is version 1.3 which seems to be from September last year.

Perhaps you can modify diskdefs.cfg and add a new one like this:

disk acorn.dfs.ss80
    cyls = 80
    heads = 1
    tracks * ibm.fm
        secs = 10
        bps = 256
        iam = no
        gap3 = 21
        id = 0
        cskew = 3
        rate = 125
    end
end
The only things I changed there were the name of the diskdef and the number of cyls.
steve3000

Post by steve3000 »

gfoot wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:36 pm Perhaps you can modify diskdefs.cfg and add a new one like this:
Brilliant! This works! =D> =D>

Thanks for that - it's happily reading 80 track discs now. :D

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”