Super Mario Bros

suggest games that you’ve always wanted to see on acorn platforms
aferenbach

Super Mario Bros

Post by aferenbach »

After seeing Prince of Persia and even Stunt Car Racer on the BBC Micro, and I also saw some ingenious fella on the Commodore 64 actually manage to produce Super Mario Bros I was wondering if the beeb could be pushed that far.

I know it's a stretch and would most likely require a BBC Master and/or a beefed up B+.

Has anyone ever thrown this idea around?
tricky

Re: Super Mario Bros

Post by tricky »

They have ;)
I have a landscape prototype and a demo on YT, it used a similar system to my version of Scrabble.
Master/Compact would make it easier, at least to remove flicker as it has proper double buffering for the screen.
The main reason that I didn't go any further was thrat I thought that it would immediately get shut down by Nintendo. It is also a massive game, so would require disc or even hard disc support and I like single load games.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

The Commodore version was shut down I believe. And I’m certainly not going to admit to still having a copy somewhere. :shock:
Adventure Language on GitHub
Atom, issue 5, YARRB + video noise killer
Elk
A number of econetted (is that a word?) Beebs
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA
paulb

Post by paulb »

Lardo Boffin wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:05 pm The Commodore version was shut down I believe. And I’m certainly not going to admit to still having a copy somewhere. :shock:
They should change it a bit and re-release it as Super Drain Mania.
aferenbach

Post by aferenbach »

tricky wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:47 am They have ;)
I have a landscape prototype and a demo on YT, it used a similar system to my version of Scrabble.
Master/Compact would make it easier, at least to remove flicker as it has proper double buffering for the screen.
The main reason that I didn't go any further was thrat I thought that it would immediately get shut down by Nintendo. It is also a massive game, so would require disc or even hard disc support and I like single load games.
Can you post a link so I can see this demo on Youtube?
tricky

Post by tricky »

Sorry, was on phone and couldn't copy URL.

Watch at 720p50 for best results.

quick demo of pixel scrolling and level compression

Scramble, although the landscape is quicker to draw.

Demo of what can be drawn with double buffering.
Just realised that this scroll also relies on an hsync pulse trick, but the scrolling landscape and spirits do fit at 50fps like all my released games.

And one that doesn't work on LCD scart and still needs to scroll two square pixels at a time.

Return to “new ideas wishlist & general chat”