Pitfall

developing/porting a new game or gaming framework? post in here!
fizgog

Re: Pitfall

Post by fizgog »

ChrisB wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:27 am A "quick fix" might be to reduce the screen height slightly. The trees are just a solid block of colour and removing one line from them would not change the look very much - but would give you 600+ bytes per line. It's bit of a pain to reorganise the various plotting routines this late in the development cycle.
I've managed to move code around and optimising functions further for example getting rid of jumps and letting them fall through to the next function or replacing 2 LDA and 2 STA with 2 LDX and 1 STX etc. and have gained enough to smooth out the rope
Cybershark wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:52 am Played through quite a way - moving east - and scooped up several treasures. The only other surprising thing that I noted was that I shouldn't have been able to pick one of them up, as it was on the surface level and I was walking under it at the time. Do you only perform a check in the X-axis?
Just checked the code and yes I've only catered for the x-axis, so that will need fixing

Don't think I can optimise anymore without either reducing the screen size or changing the sprites (which I think is two late in the process)
but I have 147 bytes to play with for the joystick and treasure bug

Code: Select all

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Bytes Used  :  &2FD8
Bytes Free  :  &93
NB Bytes Free before paged aligned sprite mask storage :  &3
Pitfall, Gridrunner, Matrix: Gridrunner 2, LaserZone, AcornViewer, AcornPad
fizgog

Post by fizgog »

Alpha version 0.019

This should stop you collecting the treasure when underground
Increased vine swing animation from 32 to 64 - let me know what you think

*EDIT Seems if you run past the treasure underground it's fine, but if you jump up when you are below the treasure it still lets you collect it.

Pitfall-0.019.ssd
(36 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

Code: Select all

Pitfall Memory Map
End of ZP   :  &62
Bytes Used  :  &2FD8
Bytes Free  :  &8D
NB Bytes Free before paged aligned sprite mask storage :  &3
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Increased vine swing animation from 32 to 64 - let me know what you think
Thanks - I prefer this version.
Castle Defender, Untitled Dungeon Game, Night Ninja, Wordle, Waffle, Acorn Island, Beebchase, Ghostbusters
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

Ok, that seems a lot tighter :D

I did still notice one tar pit de-sync but it wasn't on entering a new screen - as had sometimes previously been the case - it was when I died on one of those screens. When I started my new life, it was initially temporarily out of whack.
fizgog

Post by fizgog »

Cybershark wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:05 pm Ok, that seems a lot tighter :D

I did still notice one tar pit de-sync but it wasn't on entering a new screen - as had sometimes previously been the case - it was when I died on one of those screens. When I started my new life, it was initially temporarily out of whack.
Thanks for noticing that, seems when the player drowns the quicksand animation stops (which it should) but when he restarts above the tree line he's still classed as falling so no quicksand animation is being triggered.

I've recoded the logic to say if he's died and then falling from the tree line, then continue with the quicksand animation.

Next build will have the fix in, but I'm trying to read about and understand ADCControl at FEC0 for the joysticks before doing another build.
fizgog

Post by fizgog »

Finally managed to add joystick support for the beeb, next I need to add joystick for the Master and then a tidy up before another playable release.

In the meantime here's a video of the game running on BeebEm with a controller.

https://youtu.be/JO4ftNOvDBY
fizgog

Post by fizgog »

Alpha version 0.020

This fixes quicksand animation when player is killed and starting again falling through the trees
Also include joystick support for the beeb and Master (sorry no joystick for compact)

press 'J' key first to switch to joystick mode then fire button to start

Special keys are Escape to exit current playing game and then Escape again to exit program
J - joystick on or off
S - sound on or off
P - pause on or off

Let me know how you get on and if you also find any problems on either a real BBC or Master

If no more bugs are found then all that's left to do is some tidying up of code before a final release

Pitfall-0.020.ssd
(36.25 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

I'll give this another run around the block, but think you may just have squashed all those nasty bugs :D

One thing I meant to ask previously - which I can't recall if it was already addressed - was whether it was intentional to have the character be able to jump in one direction whilst facing the opposite way?
fizgog

Post by fizgog »

Cybershark wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:17 pm One thing I meant to ask previously - which I can't recall if it was already addressed - was whether it was intentional to have the character be able to jump in one direction whilst facing the opposite way?
It's a side effect from when I did the kong tech demo in another thread, I'll take a look as it should be facing the correct way

Also noticed you cannot press the escape key when the game over sign pops up which also needs looking at.

Return to “new projects in development: games”