Acorn Island

developing/porting a new game or gaming framework? post in here!
ChrisB

Re: Acorn Island

Post by ChrisB »

Here is another version with the loader screen etc. stripped out for faster loading. There are several versions included with various latencies applied which you can choose at startup. I did discover a potential mistake in the code from when I was previously fiddling with timings which may have affected the result. In terms of timers I was already using timer 1 and the OS is long gone. If people could try on a VLSI Master and let me know the results that would be great.

I'd be interested if there is a difference between Latency '0' and '1' - these both have zero latency but slightly different instruction ordering. '24' should be more or less equivalent to the owlett code above.

Many thanks for trying to get this sorted.
AcornIsland.ssd
(103.75 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
I have observed more screen corruption on scrolling on this version - will have a look at this later.
Castle Defender, Untitled Dungeon Game, Night Ninja, Wordle, Waffle, Acorn Island, Beebchase, Ghostbusters
chrissawer

Post by chrissawer »

ChrisB wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:52 am Here is another version with the loader screen etc. stripped out for faster loading. There are several versions included with various latencies applied which you can choose at startup. I did discover a potential mistake in the code from when I was previously fiddling with timings which may have affected the result. In terms of timers I was already using timer 1 and the OS is long gone. If people could try on a VLSI Master and let me know the results that would be great.
Thanks for this. It seems to work well on my VLSI Master!

I only had half an hour or so to try it today, ran through the different latencies and couldn't really see any difference in behaviour. I will try and spend a bit more time on it this week to see if I can spot any issues.
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Thanks for looking. I'm intending to produce a new version with some other fixes/changes that will hopefully resolve the corruption on scroll whilst maintaining compatibility.
Castle Defender, Untitled Dungeon Game, Night Ninja, Wordle, Waffle, Acorn Island, Beebchase, Ghostbusters
garfield

Post by garfield »

ChrisB wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:29 am Thanks for looking. I'm intending to produce a new version with some other fixes/changes that will hopefully resolve the corruption on scroll whilst maintaining compatibility.
Good to see that you're increasing the compatibility RE: crtc versions. It would be good to get a "post mortem" on your crtc conclusions once Acorn Island is finalised.
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Please find attached V2. If this works with a VLSI 6845 (please can someone test) I'll promote to the release thread.

Changes in this version:
  • Updated interrupt routines to play nicely with a VLSI 6845. This has included adding another interrupt half way down screen for my re-draw synchronisation to remove corruption on scrolling right.
  • Code wrangling to make some more space.
  • Added some new signs and added more information to other signs to provide more information early game.
  • Swapped the name of the forests to save memory.
  • Updated two mistakes in quests to indicate East instead of West.
  • Clarified the next action on an early game quest.
AcornIsland.ssd
(44.25 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
@garfield: In terms of a post mortem I don't have the hardware (or the knowledge) to debug this one - it's all been the other contributors to this thread. TL/DR - Rich's Owlet link above works fine on both variants.
chrissawer

Post by chrissawer »

ChrisB wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:13 pm Please find attached V2. If this works with a VLSI 6845 (please can someone test) I'll promote to the release thread.
Yes seems to be working nicely on mine :D
garfield

Post by garfield »

ChrisB wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:13 pm [*]Added some new signs and added more information to other signs to provide more information early game.
This helps! Thanks. Never underestimate the stupidity / ignorance of a gameplayer! :)
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

chrissawer wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:36 pm
ChrisB wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:13 pm Please find attached V2. If this works with a VLSI 6845 (please can someone test)
Yes seems to be working nicely on mine :D
Confirmed on my VLSI Master! Superb bit of rework!

=D> =D> =D>

Return to “new projects in development: games”