New game: The Cursed Trail

Kweepa

New game: The Cursed Trail

Post by Kweepa »

Hi,
I just completed "The Cursed Trail", a BASIC mashup of The Oregon Trail (1975) and The Cursed Earth saga (1978) for the BBC Model B (1981).
TheCursedTrail.png
TheCursedTrail.ssd
(200 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
[Edit - fixed SSSELF bug and added display of Land Raider damage.]

Let me know what you think!
Steve
Last edited by Kweepa on Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisB

Re: New game: The Cursed Trail

Post by ChrisB »

Well done - A nice little game here. Firstly - apologies for this - bug on line 4090/4200 - procedure name is wrong. (ILLNESSSELF/ILLNESSELF)

To me it felt a little random. I don't see any way to gain certain items (Fix kits, Judges). Understandable for Judges but it might be nice to have a some mechanism around the fix kits. Your vehicle damage is not displayed that I can see meaning you don't know how close to death you are. You could change the shop contents to have fix kits occasionally (and/or remove some of the other items). I suppose there are lots of options here and/or other encounters that could help.

I like the concept of your little combat game. Might be nice to add some sort of indicator to the time remaining (decreasing bar, timer etc.) I realise this is a reasonable piece of work but might be worth it as it's a central mechanism.
Castle Defender, Untitled Dungeon Game, Night Ninja, Wordle, Waffle, Acorn Island, Beebchase, Ghostbusters
Kweepa

Post by Kweepa »

Thanks for the suggestions, and sorry about the SSSELF bug - fixed now above.
I added the Land Raider damage display.
As for the shooting minigame improvements, I wanted to keep the core mechanic similar to the original game, but I might consider it :)
And for the Fix kits, I also considered that... the game is currently tweaked to not allow you to buy Fix kits, but making them only show up sometimes and having them be quite expensive (40-50 gold) might mean I wouldn't have to change things much.
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Thanks for that - makes it more obvious how close to death you are. In terms of the combat game I had a quick play - how about something like this?
https://bbcmic.ro/#%7B%22v%22%3A1%2C%22 ... PROC%22%7D
Castle Defender, Untitled Dungeon Game, Night Ninja, Wordle, Waffle, Acorn Island, Beebchase, Ghostbusters
Kweepa

Post by Kweepa »

Hmm, seeing that I feel like it doesn't fit with the overall text-based aesthetic.
It's pretty slick though!

Return to “miscellaneous new bbc and electron games”