(Possibly broken) HCCS Interchange - The Integrated Accounting System

contribute new/updated software missing from online archives
tom_seddon

(Possibly broken) HCCS Interchange - The Integrated Accounting System

Post by tom_seddon »

Not previously archived. Found in an EPROM in VectorEyes's collection. Not actually sure whether this one works or not, but perhaps I just don't know how to use it, or it requires a dongle or bit of extra hardware or something. I only disassembled it enough to figure out what * commands it responded to.

It responds to *MENU or *INTERCHANGE, producing the following menu.
interchange_menu.png
Seemingly whatever you choose, you get this loading screen.
interchange_loading.png
Then it craps out with a Bad string error, perhaps not unexpectedly as it's attempting to do *KEY0 CHAIN "[#<<7 x CHR$0>>]"|M and the OS balks at the 0 bytes.

--Tom
Attachments
INTERCHANGE_RFS.zip
(5.3 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Pernod

Re: (Possibly broken) HCCS Interchange - The Integrated Accounting System

Post by Pernod »

Never heard of this, and haven't been able to find any mention of it.

Unfortunately I have to agree that it looks like a bad (incomplete) dump. The ROM image is only 8K which would've been quite unusual in 1986 as most ROM releases by then would make use of 16K. Looking at the end of the 8K image it appears to just stop mid instruction :(
tom_seddon wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:47 pm Not previously archived. Found in an EPROM in VectorEyes's collection.
Is this collection available anywhere, always good to get another set of eyes on things.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

I have the ROMs themselves sitting in a box at home. Had I realised that all these old chips would actually have stuff that was new / of interest earlier, I would have sent them off to Tom to capture them two years ago when he first suggested it!

If anyone wants to look at the ROMs themselves (as opposed to the images which Tom captured) then I’m happy to post them to you.
tom_seddon

Post by tom_seddon »

Pernod wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:47 am Never heard of this, and haven't been able to find any mention of it.

Unfortunately I have to agree that it looks like a bad (incomplete) dump. The ROM image is only 8K which would've been quite unusual in 1986 as most ROM releases by then would make use of 16K. Looking at the end of the 8K image it appears to just stop mid instruction :(
That sounds pretty conclusive. Thanks for investigating more thoroughly.
Pernod wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:47 am Is this collection available anywhere, always good to get another set of eyes on things.
Sure - zip attached. I read them all as 16 KB, and figured out which were 8 KB by comparing the halves. I thought I'd save people the bother of trawling through an unlabeled set of random ROM images, but perhaps I'm not the only person that actually enjoys doing that :lol:

Also possibly of mild interest:

- 02; 38; 43; 45 - SCYTHE - differs from other variants in 1 byte, which is also how the other variants differ from one another. Perhaps some kind of serial number?

- 05; 12; 44 - Commstar 2.40 - differs from the copy I already had (from Wouter Scholten's collection) only in the serial number

--Tom
Attachments
roms.zip
(434.58 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

tom_seddon wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:29 pm Sure - zip attached. I read them all as 16 KB, and figured out which were 8 KB by comparing the halves. I thought I'd save people the bother of trawling through an unlabeled set of random ROM images, but perhaps I'm not the only person that actually enjoys doing that :lol:
Thanks, always nice to find new collections, even if it only yields a couple of new finds makes it worthwhile.

Were any of these original, or all copies?
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
tom_seddon

Post by tom_seddon »

Pernod wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:49 pm
tom_seddon wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:29 pm Sure - zip attached. I read them all as 16 KB, and figured out which were 8 KB by comparing the halves. I thought I'd save people the bother of trawling through an unlabeled set of random ROM images, but perhaps I'm not the only person that actually enjoys doing that :lol:
Thanks, always nice to find new collections, even if it only yields a couple of new finds makes it worthwhile.

Were any of these original, or all copies?
Originals, from memory: ETL 3800A (both ROMs), GXR, Beebcalc. (If I was doing this again, I'd take better notes!)

--Tom

Return to “archive submissions”