should a create the committee for PRINCE OF PERSIA 3.5 compatible ? :mrgreen:
tricky

Re: Prince of Persia

Post by tricky »

It would be nice to have it run on the Compact and also from SSD
drfloyd

Post by drfloyd »

the committee for PRINCE OF PERSIA "Final Edition" grow up !!!!!

:twisted:
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

Well it seems like I can hardly let the POP fans down now, can I?

This is a Release Candidate for version 1.2 that hopefully works with MOS 3.5 and Master Compact. I hesitate to call it a fix, more a massive hack :? so any testing on real hardware would be gratefully received before I update the official version on the Bitshifters prod page. Please let me know if you find any problems!

For those interested, it seems that DFS 2.45 does use more of Hazel than the regular Master DFS, specifically it looks at certain values placed in page &DA00 to determine whether DFS is active or not, and therefore whether to bother servicing the call to OSWORD &7F that loads the sprites and level data etc.
Attachments
pop-beeb-version1.2-RC2.zip
POP version 1.2 (Release Candidate 2)
(149.32 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/
danielj

Post by danielj »

Loads and plays on 3.5 on my Master - haven't tried it back on 3.2, mind :) - and I've just played for a minute or two :D

d.
Naomasa298

Post by Naomasa298 »

*waits for the tears of joy coming from across the Channel*
Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 »

Works perfect in 3.5! =D> =D>
And I discovered that it also works fine (and fast) in Retroclinic's DiskTrap mode. (an SSD loaded in RAM and the DiskTrap method fools the OS as if the RAM is an actual Disc. (or something like that))
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl
danielj

Post by danielj »

3.2 fine too, just to reassure myself!
jms2

Post by jms2 »

...and it also works fine on MOS 5.10 as well. :D
Yrrah2

Post by Yrrah2 »

Found a little bug, using OS 3.5.
Could be a general bug of the game, but didn't experience this before.
In level 2 I got killed by the 3rd guard and fell at the same time in some spears. (killed 2 times in one go.....)
And now the game does not give an end tune and hangs. Only CTRL+A brought me back, not the 'press action to contimue' popped up or worked.

Cheers
Happy with my BBC Master
www.mybbcmaster.nl
jms2

Post by jms2 »

tricky wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:05 am It would be nice to have it run on the Compact and also from SSD
Just spotted this post - it does run on the Compact (if you have a DFS rom in it). Maybe you meant it would be nice to have an ADFS version, but it sounds like that might not be possible.

I can't comment on the above bug report though, I have not managed to die like that yet!
tricky

Post by tricky »

I do have DFS in my Compact, ADFS unplugged, but the original didn't work.
Same USB stick, FF version worked on my Master.
Maybe you mean this new version - I haven't tried it yet - my Compact is currently buried in the back of the garage.
drfloyd

Post by drfloyd »

THANKS Kieranhj !!!!!

It Works !!! (MASTER 128 3.5 with GOTEK)

THANKS !!!!! I can add it in my TOP 10
jms2

Post by jms2 »

tricky wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:28 pm I do have DFS in my Compact, ADFS unplugged, but the original didn't work.
Same USB stick, FF version worked on my Master.
Maybe you mean this new version - I haven't tried it yet - my Compact is currently buried in the back of the garage.
I’m pretty sure both versions worked for me. I have got DFS 2.45 - don’t know if that makes any difference.
drfloyd

Post by drfloyd »

I love again my ROM 3.5 :mrgreen:
sbadger

Post by sbadger »

Works on my Compact, MOS 5.10, DFS 2.45
So many projects, so little time...
drfloyd

Post by drfloyd »

LOVE THIS GAME !

We need more games like this for the powerful MASTER 128.
Stwert

Post by Stwert »

I’ve admired this work for a while, having never seen it in the flesh I’ve just gone on what other people have said, and the screens and video’s I’ve seen, of course.

It looks absolutely amazing, really great work.
After decades of wanting, but never owning, a Master, the new addition to my BEEB family should hopefully arrive tomorrow.

When it does, you can be sure this will be one of - if not the, first things I try on it. Ohhhhh, it’s like Christmas Eve, which also happens to be my birthday, funny, it doesn’t feel like my birthday though :D
I'll be highly medicated and my humour can be twisted, so when I offend you, its not intentional, honest :lol:
oe7twj

Post by oe7twj »

Works fine on my BBC Master loading from Disk or Gotek.

Doesn't run from SD card, I know, PAGE Problem.
Solved using MMFS 1.45 ...

I love this game, really!!!

I have played this when I was a Teen, hundred times ...
After habituation on keyboard input I could reach level 7.

Thank you for porting this great game!!!
oe7twj

Post by oe7twj »

drfloyd wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:54 pm We need more games like this for the powerful MASTER 128.
Yes!
I would like to see a port of "Spacxe Taxi"

https://www.c64-wiki.de/wiki/Space_Taxi
nekroskop

Post by nekroskop »

Great! I've just loaded pop-beeb-version1.2-RC2
PoP works fine on my Master Compact MOS 5.10, DFS 2.45 from Gotek - FlashFloppy
Thanks
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

A work of outstanding artistry and programming skill

Well done :D
Image Image Image Image
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

In case you hadn’t seen it, the Bitshifters port was used as the basis for the recently released Atari 8-bit port of PoP. :D

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/29891 ... or-the-a8/
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/
Mince

Post by Mince »

kieranhj wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:50 pm In case you hadn’t seen it, the Bitshifters port was used as the basis for the recently released Atari 8-bit port of PoP. :D

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/29891 ... or-the-a8/
I did see that but didn't realise yours was the basis for it. Excellent stuff!

I was thinking recently it would be nice if RGBtoHDMI in band palette or VideoNuLA palette could be supported, to soften the colours, or maybe even add a 16 colour version (which might look more like the Atari one, if they've now converted the graphics).
BBC Master— PiTube 3A+ PiVDU, PicoTube, Pi1MHz, MMFS, ANFS, MultiOS
BBC B — Integra ß, PiTube Zero 2W, Pi1MHz, MMFS, DFS, ADFS, ANFS
Electron — Plus 1 w/ AP6 2V2, AP5, PiTube 3A+, Pi1MHz, PRES AP3+4, Elkeconet or ATI/ABR, ElkSD 64/Plus 1
bob147

Post by bob147 »

I'm a little bit late to the party but this really is a marvellous conversion. It looks great, sounds great and the feel of the controls really is spot on. Playing it on real hardware is definitely worth the effort just to reassure myself that it really has been done on a stock BBC Master without a secret cartridge stuffed with memory or something :lol: Almost makes me want to get hold of a proper floppy disk drive and CUB monitor for the full sense of disbelief.

At the moment, I can beat the game if I cheat past the guards but I just can't get my head around the combat at all. First couple of levels are fine, then the guards really start going for you and my reactions are too slow. I also found a very silly bug/feature. If you drink the upside down potion on level 9, and instead of being sensible and finding the second potion to undo the spell you stubbornly finish the level upside down your reward is... starting the next level upside down! You can keep going until you hit a level with a cutscene and then it crashes (serves you right for doing something so daft). When I say keep going, I of course mean level skip cheat.

I wonder if the game is close enough to the Apple II version that an Apple II speed run could be 'converted' over to BeebJit. Hmm...
Diminished

Post by Diminished »

There is a way to cheese the guards trivially on all versions of this game.

I discovered it playing on DOS in about 1990 or so.
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

bob147 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:37 am At the moment, I can beat the game if I cheat past the guards but I just can't get my head around the combat at all. First couple of levels are fine, then the guards really start going for you and my reactions are too slow. I also found a very silly bug/feature. If you drink the upside down potion on level 9, and instead of being sensible and finding the second potion to undo the spell you stubbornly finish the level upside down your reward is... starting the next level upside down! You can keep going until you hit a level with a cutscene and then it crashes (serves you right for doing something so daft). When I say keep going, I of course mean level skip cheat.
Thanks for the kind words. The guards do get quite brutal quite quickly after the first couple of levels, that's why there's an EASY guard mode cheat - IIRC it halves the probability that they will strike, thus making them much more passive. (Or just use the ZAP cheat).

Nice find with the upside-down potion bug! I'm sure this would be an easy fix to reset the upside-down 'flag' at the end of a level but hey, you're the first person to find it in all these years. :) Speaking of the upside-down feature, it was a right PITA to implement on the Beeb - on the Apple II the screen buffer is arranged linearly, so flipping the screen is just a matter of inverting the table that points to the start of each line. For the Beeb, I had to come up with a way to invert all of the tile & sprite drawing routines using self-modifying code. I almost didn't do it, as it was a lot of work for a small thing that nobody would repeat after the first time, but in the end I relented to be as complete and authentic as possible...
bob147

Post by bob147 »

Definitely not worth fixing that's for sure, it kind of works in that it's basically punishment for not figuring out how to undo the effect. The game is saying 'did you really think you were supposed to just finish the level like this!?' :lol:

It occurs to me that the game actually has quite a few one time gimmicks like that (floating potion, mirror, skeleton etc) which must have been really tough with the memory constraints you were working with.

Return to “bitshifters (new bbc master games)”