Archimedes/RISC PC-era Look and Read games

request software or documentation that you can't find online
MyJumpersFullOfFears

Archimedes/RISC PC-era Look and Read games

Post by MyJumpersFullOfFears »

I am new here, and I know that this is going to be a long shot, but if anyone has one, or more, of the three Archimedes/RISC PC-era Look and Read games from the 1990s (Sky Hunter, Earth Warp and Spywatch), could they please post them here as ADFs for use in Arculator or RPCEmu? Unlike the two earlier BBC Micro-era ones, Geordie Racer (which has been a part of the TOSEC's BBC Micro archive since 2012) and Through the Dragon's Eye (which was posted on this site in 2015, and is the origin of my username), I cannot find anything about them anywhere.

I downloaded Through the Dragon's Eye from this site for use in B-Em v1.1 (DOS version running in DOSBox) some time before I signed up, and I saw on the discussion that BillCarr2005 (who I am very grateful to for posting it here) said that he also had Sky Hunter (which was my favourite thing to play on the Acorn Archimedes at primary school, and I can still remember all the challenges from it). However, I do not know if he would be willing to post a copy of it on the request of a new user's first post (but if it helps, it was produced by Logotron Ltd & BBC Enterprises, not 4Mation).
billcarr2005

Re: Archimedes/RISC PC-era Look and Read games

Post by billcarr2005 »

Thought I'd posted this already, since mentioning it two years ago, but discovered I hadn't made an SSD of it! :D
No doubt the Archimedes version contained improved graphics, but the challenges are probably the same, I presume...
Attachments
Sky Hunter.zip
(41.37 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
MyJumpersFullOfFears

I did not know that there was also a BBC Micro version of Sky Hunter until today, as I would never have guessed that they were still being used in schools as late as 1991! Thanks for posting it though (and yes, the Archimedes version did contain improved graphics, including a digitised picture of a peregrine falcon on the title screen, but the gameplay was identical, even down to the game asking "Do you want sound?" and "Have you played before?" at the beginning, but the "End the program" option at the end would return the computer to RISC OS as opposed to the BBC Micro command prompt). I also think the bird thieves, Badger and Mr. Trim, look more menacing in this version than they did on the Archimedes, which is helped by the fact that unlike in Geordie Racer and Through the Dragon's Eye, the colours used by the display mode change for specific challenges.
MyJumpersFullOfFears

For anybody who does not know yet, the BBC Micro version of Earth Warp (which I also did not know existed) was added to FlaxCottage's archive on 31 July 2019, and you can download it for use with the DOS version of B-Em v1.1 running in DOSBox (along with !BeebIt running in RISC OS) from his site:
http://flaxcottage.com/Educational/Show ... .asp?p=576
MyJumpersFullOfFears

For anybody who has not seen my message on the "Best Games to show off at a Retro Game Weekend" thread yet, the Archimedes versions of Geordie Racer and Through the Dragon's Eye (the former of which I again did not know existed, but I read about the latter in the PDF of the instruction manual on FlaxCottage's site) were added to the Archimedes Archive on 26 January 2022. The former is dated 12 June 1992, and the latter 26 November of the same year (which means they were produced 4.5 and three years after the BBC Micro versions respectively, and one year after Sky Hunter).
https://arcarc.nl/educational.html

Return to “archive requests”