Other sources of inspiration from modern times

suggest games that you’ve always wanted to see on acorn platforms
VDU23

Other sources of inspiration from modern times

Post by VDU23 »

Hello!
Most of great users here have some kind of second generation arcade reference. That's nice, but since then many other sources came out.
I'll pick just two examples.

The first is the lil ARDUBOY.
https://www.arduboy.com/
A small open source portable device. The device specs are way below the ones of any Beeb machine, but savvy use of routines allow for small fun games.
Most interestingly, some of such games are available full source on GitHub, simplfying to the bone any possible conversion.
Examples:
CASTLEBOY, a Castlevania game. https://github.com/jlauener/CastleBoy
ARDUVENTURE, Zelda game. https://github.com/TEAMarg/ID-46-Arduve ... er/ARDU_AB
DARK&UNDER, dungeon crawler. https://github.com/Garage-Collective

The second can be... GameBoy.
I know that GameBoy hardware didn'ìt share a lot in common with the Beeb, but what I want for you to notice is how such device can be used to learn something about pixel art in 4 colors.

This is an example of TripWorld graphics using some Beeb palette. Judge for yourself how nice games can look by moving from "Atari arcades" to something different...
twtry2.png
twtry2.png
paulb

Re: Other sources of inspiration from modern times

Post by paulb »

VDU23 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:50 pm Hello!
Most of great users here have some kind of second generation arcade reference. That's nice, but since then many other sources came out.
I'll pick just two examples.

The first is the lil ARDUBOY.
There are plenty of handhelds and even TV-based consoles that have been based on microcontrollers, sometimes with FPGA sprite engines (like Gameduino), and I'm sure some of us are aware of at least some of them, although it is hard to keep track of them all. Indeed, some of us have even experimented with video signal generation from microcontrollers, inspired by a number of impressive projects (mentioned in another article).

Of course, there are "virtual consoles" like PICO-8, which arguably aim for the retro aesthetic, being supported by "real consoles" with limited graphical capabilities such as the Pocket CHIP. Perhaps that is going along the same path of simplification as Arduboy and various small-screen handhelds.
VDU23 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:50 pm The second can be... GameBoy.
I know that GameBoy hardware didn'ìt share a lot in common with the Beeb, but what I want for you to notice is how such device can be used to learn something about pixel art in 4 colors.

This is an example of TripWorld graphics using some Beeb palette. Judge for yourself how nice games can look by moving from "Atari arcades" to something different...
I don't know how familiar you are with late stage Acorn 8-bit games, but certainly various Tynesoft games did move into digitised graphics territory, or at least they used graphics that probably originated on computers where the artistic tools were much more capable than on the Beeb. My own modern experiments have used digital pictures as the basis of sprites and backgrounds because this is now arguably easier than drawing graphical content, although I'm not beyond doing that, either: it is, after all, a question of time and effort.

You might want to take a look at the Enhanced mode 1 pictures thread where some techniques are demonstrated, as well as 8 colour mode 1 screens for games. Even though those threads discuss palette switching for images, they also cover things like dithering techniques that would apply to limited colour and/or low-resolution artwork and perhaps also remind us of the possibilities we have now compared to what we had back in the day.

However, one of the more memorable games from the 32-bit era was Ballarena which used digitised graphics effectively. Personally, I think that there have always been opportunities to introduce aesthetic and technical improvements to platforms from outside, particularly from more capable platforms where the tools and facilities are superior. Of course, such opportunities often required the financial resources to invest in those more capable platforms or to find other ways of getting access to them, perhaps making the most of an academic or institutional environment.
tricky

Post by tricky »

Direct ports may be hard as most of the new retro like environments have competitively unlimited memory and CPU performance.
As you say though, there are probably some great sources of inspiration.
PC CGA games are also a possible source, basically being mode 1 with the beeb palette and I think beeb like scrolling capabilities.
tnash

Post by tnash »

Has anyone competent (ie not me) had a look at whether a BBC version of Celeste might be feasible? Not the full console release (wonderful wonderful WONDERFUL game as that is, even I know that ain't going to fit)
However the PICO-8 original version looks like it might not be beyond the realms of possibility, and would be a cracking game to play on the Beeb? https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=2145
dudleysoft71

Post by dudleysoft71 »

There was already a C port of the PICO-8 version of Celeste done, I've done a quick and dirty port to the ARM co-processor of this version, it will run in BeebEm with the ARM7TDMI co-processor selected. It also supports VideoNULA if you've got a real Beeb with PiTubeDirect and VideoNULA.

You can download an SSD here:
Celeste.ssd
(200 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
This is run using

Code: Select all

*CELESTE
or

Code: Select all

*CELESTE -NULA
to run in VideoNULA mode (which works great since PICO-8 games use a fixed 16 colour palette)
It uses the standard beeb keys (Z,X,*,/) and Return and Space for jump/dash.

I had done this a while ago and then forgotten about it I should probably make a new thread for it.
James Watson - DudleySoft

BBC Model B 32K - PiTubeDirect, Pi1Mhz, Smally Mouse, Gotek, DFS/ADFS, 4xSWRAM.
tnash

Post by tnash »

Oh ace stuff James, thank you, I'll have a play on an emulator when I'm back home.
Do you think a native Beeb version without the co-processor would be possible? Assuming at least some swram?
dudleysoft71

Post by dudleysoft71 »

I think it's possible, it might even be possible to make it mode 2 (if we use sideways ram), the actual game is only runs at 128x128, so you can draw double pixels for the sprites, and if you removed the background clouds then the Beeb could probably handle the actual drawing of the game.

Here's how the co-processor version looks in mode 2 using my dithering algorithm:
Celeste_100m.png
You could possibly do similar in an actual port, using the colour byte to lookup from two tables to find the dither patterns to add half bright shades instead of the flashing colours.

The blue boxes in the background are clouds, they scroll behind the yellow parts, which is fine when the host is only handling updating the screen, but if it was running the game then I imagine it would struggle with drawing those.
James Watson - DudleySoft

BBC Model B 32K - PiTubeDirect, Pi1Mhz, Smally Mouse, Gotek, DFS/ADFS, 4xSWRAM.
tnash

Post by tnash »

Looks great with the dithering, and I think it would be cleaner ( and imo better) without the clouds.

Return to “new ideas wishlist & general chat”