ABUG Canada West Meet Up #22 May 30 2022

threads for previous physical ABug events held in Canada
klintworth

ABUG Canada West Meet Up #22 May 30 2022

Post by klintworth »

Well this was long overdue (I blame Omicron and a West Coast Canadian winter!) Ed had to get his car serviced so we met up all too briefly. Somehow Zoom is no substitute for a real meet up! Once again we both surprised each other with gifts. Ed gave me a joystick, an RS-232 serial port wifi modem, and a Baha'i book. The BBC joystick is called a Competition Pro "Killer", and I've read that the Competition Pro is the 'gold standard' for joysticks. Very much looking forward to trying this out.
IMG_5951.jpeg
Ed's thoughtful gifts to me

I'll let Ed explain what the garage found in his car during the routine service!
IMG_5950.jpeg
Miserable weather in late May - but the best company!
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot
KarateEd

Re: ABUG Canada West Meet Up #22 May 30 2022

Post by KarateEd »

Well, not a big ABUG but a good one, very nice to be able to meet up with Paul again. It just seems like it's been forever since we last met.

At any rate Paul alluded to a story which has absolutely nothing to do with Retro Computing however it kind of goes like this:

We were having a very nice cup of coffee and a sandwich when I get a call from the Mazda dealer. We've found something that's been nesting in your vehicle he says. So, I say what did you find? He says it looks like a squirrel has been setting up home on your engine. We took a picture. Would you like it to be cleaned up? And of course I said yes.
Squirrels are such messy housekeepers
Squirrels are such messy housekeepers
They did that and I got another phone call a few minutes later. Your tires are out of alignment he says, it looks like you hit something more severe than a curb. The tires are feathered. What do you want to do? Well, let's fix it then, I'm only here every 6 months and I have a longish drive next week. Ok, as he wrings his hand with anticipation of another big paycheck.....ah well, what's a bloke to do? You have to fix these things......and I did see the evidence of the place I've struck something reasonably hard. Anyway, we're all fixed up.....and now on to the main event.

So Paul was very kind first to buy my coffee and secondly give me a few nice gifts.

The first ones were a couple of magazines and the second was a beautiful cover that I desperately need for my Beebs that are 'naked'. Thanks very much Paul, they will certainly all be put to good use.
Some very nice gifts from Paul (thanks Paul) that will be put to very good use.
Some very nice gifts from Paul (thanks Paul) that will be put to very good use.
I've attached a pic for where I've decided the Beeb cover should go. My much loved M500 system is the recipient.
M500 Beeb Protection.JPG
We also discussed a number of projects that we've got on the go, one of them to do with the next ABUG meeting. We'll save that topic for a later date so as not to spoil the fun.

We've decided we'll get together after I come back from Kamloops where I'll be for 2 weeks starting on the 8th of June. That will be a much more hands on meeting with hopefully more Beeb related pics.

Until then..........
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.

Return to “past physical ABug events (Canada)”