Jon Welch's Explorers not loading under Windows 11 - Any clues? - Sorted

discuss pc<>acorn file transfer issues and the use of other utils
daveejhitchins

Jon Welch's Explorers not loading under Windows 11 - Any clues? - Sorted

Post by daveejhitchins »

I'm up and running with my new PC build (Windows 11). Not everything transferred, as yet, but getting there.

One problem I'm having is installing Jon Welch's DFS and ADFS Explorer. I've been in contact with Jon and he's tried Window 11 running in VirtualBox and didn't find any issues!

Tried with my antivirus and firewall paused with no change in behaviour. The error I'm seeing is:

Setup -- Cannot start main setup program (Create Process 0 returned error code 0x00000005H)

If anyone can try this or has any clues to what is going-on I'd be grateful for any advice . . .

Thanks - Dave H.
Last edited by daveejhitchins on Thu May 12, 2022 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
cmorley

Re: Jon Welch's Explorers not loading under Windows 11 - Any clues?

Post by cmorley »

Do you have the "S" version of Windows installed (often comes on new machines)? I think it prevents you from installing things other than through the app store. You can convert to non-S version by simply running a command IIRC.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

cmorley wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:08 pm Do you have the "S" version of Windows installed (often comes on new machines)? I think it prevents you from installing things other than through the app store. You can convert to non-S version by simply running a command IIRC.
Not that I know off. Windows 11 Pro and I've been installing other program without any issue e.g. B-em, MMBExplorer, BeebEM and others . . .

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
acorndave

Post by acorndave »

They install and run ok here. Windows 11 Pro (build 21h2).

However the error you are getting is I think a Windows issue of some years standing not something that's especially specific to Windows 11.

It's something to do with old corrupted install files getting left behind in temporary folders if I understand it correctly. If you google the error you're getting, there are quite few hits which mention deleting files from temp etc.

Sorry can't be more specific as I haven't had this particular issue myself, but hopefully I may have at least have given you are starter for ten.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Many thanks . . . That’s tomorrows job. I’ll report back!

Dave H.
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

You have tried running the setup program as Administrator I take it (not mentioned in your post) ?
Regards Peter.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

vanekp wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:35 pm You have tried running the setup program as Administrator I take it (not mentioned in your post) ?
Yes, It won't even start without running as admin!

Tried looking-up the error code - nothing really found - lots for a 0x0000000c1H code! Also cleaned the reg out - no luck. Try again later . . .

Dave H.
jimmy

Post by jimmy »

To work out what is happening I'd first download the latest sysinternals pack (now part of Microsoft at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... nals-suite)
Then I'd run Process Monitor. At this point it's recording every file and registry key access. Try to run your setup program. When the error happens, stop Process Monitor.
Use filters to reduce the amount of noise! (Filter by process name or result). Something should stand out.

Also, a useful tip to work out what the error numbers mean is to use certutil! So for your 0x00000005 error message if you typed in

Code: Select all

certutil -error 0x00000005
you should see 'Access is denied'.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Finally got this sorted . . . by using LapLink's PCMover. The only program it hasn't moved correctly is my AutoCAD LT V13 - but that's another story.

Thanks all - Dave H.

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”