Wordle for the BBC Micro & Electron

ChrisB

Re: Wordle for the BBC Micro

Post by ChrisB »

So I had a go at a Dutch version. The instructions and prompts are all English and the dictionary might be very poor - see what you think. The target list is taken from common words in a subtitles database and is only around 600 words long and the total list is around 5500 words.

However - I also tried a non-mode 7 version for our Electron users out there. It's a different look but a bit more like the web one. Obviously the screen memory used means that the word list has to be significantly smaller (I can fit around 7500 words) however this doesn't seem to affect gameplay that much. I've used legal OS calls to draw the screen so it should maintain compatibility.
wordleelkdutch.ssd
(16.5 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Lurkio please don't add this to bbcmicro as yet.

For those of us that don't speak Dutch using seed 123456 the below shows some guess words for the target "drank"
wordleelk.png
If people are interested I might look to produce a combined version with both screen modes.
Castle Defender, Untitled Dungeon Game, Night Ninja, Wordle, Waffle, Acorn Island, Beebchase, Ghostbusters
roland

Post by roland »

Thanks for your effort. I will give it a go this afternoon!
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

Nice work.

Have you considered using SWRAM (if available) to store the dictionary? That could allow you to use other graphic modes for the interface. SteveF does this for his excellent Ozmoo z-game interpreter. He has an initial loader, that looks for all available memory (SWRAM, private RAM, shadow RAM & 2nd processor) and then loads the appropriate game executable that takes advantage of whatever RAM is available. Each game executable loads the same large DATA file into the appropriate memory locations.
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Yes and no. My large word list is around 24K so moving it to swram would involve splitting the list which is all theoretically possible it's just more complexity to the code. Having said that the extra words don't appear that significant. The start of the extra words for the Gs for example is 'gadge', 'gadid', 'gadje', 'gadjo', 'gadso', 'gaged', 'gaita', 'gaitt', 'gally', 'galut', 'galvo', 'gamas' - which I'm not sure you're going to miss.

Right now I'm probably going to do some HIMEM/PAGE checks and decide which we can fit so if you've got Shadow Screen Ram or are running on a second processor (or conversely if you are running ADFS on a BEEB and have page very high) it will offer the best it can.
Castle Defender, Untitled Dungeon Game, Night Ninja, Wordle, Waffle, Acorn Island, Beebchase, Ghostbusters
roland

Post by roland »

I have played the Dutch version on my Electron and Beeb, both with the latest WiDFS version. The games runs fine although it's a bit hard to remember what the colours are on a monochrome (green) monitor. However, it works and it's a lot easier for the Dutch audience =D>

BTW ... I think 600 words is more than enough :lol:
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
leenew

Post by leenew »

Not beeb related but...
I have just changed my phone and LOST MY WORDLE STREAK 😱 🤮

Lee
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Not so hot on the heels of a the dutch version here's a combined disk images (DFS and ADFS) with both text and graphical interfaces. If you have shadow screen memory or a second processor then the program will use the large dictionary in the graphical mode. If PAGE is too high then you will only get the small dictionary even in text mode.

Please let me know how you get on and if there are no issues I'll promote them to the official version.
wordleV6.ssd
(57.5 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
WordleV6.zip
(70.81 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
graphic wordle.png
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

Downloaded release 6 and have been playing (my first go ever) with the large word list with the starting seed of BA51C (of course) and so far I've not lost.

I've played 12 rounds, and so far I've won 3 at the third guess, five at the fourth guess, two at the fifth guess, and two at the sixth guess.

Anyone else try with that seed (BA51C) and see how far you get. Could be an unofficial high score challenge of sorts.

I will continue to play through this go until I mess up, and will report my scores at that point.

Edit 1:

Still on first game with 21 rounds played, stats so far are:
1 guess=0
2 guesses=0
3 guesses=3
4 guesses=8
5 guesses=6
6 guesses=4

This is a very good game. Really gets the grey cells working.

Edit 2:

Still on first game with 40 rounds played, stats so far are:
1 guess=0
2 guesses=0
3 guesses=5
4 guesses=15
5 guesses=14
6 guesses=6

I'm still loving the progress I'm making, but I'm wondering when or if it will start getting boring. At least we have game saves available by way of snapshots.
Last edited by SimonSideburns on Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Well done! The seed is independent of dictionary size and will produce the same words for both. You just have less options for the smaller dictionary.
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

Update 3:

Still on first game with 60 rounds played, stats so far are:
1 guess=0
2 guesses=0
3 guesses=7
4 guesses=26
5 guesses=20
6 guesses=7
Losses=0

Instead of shutting down my laptop I often hibernate, so it's right back where I left it when I switch on the next time I use it, and BeebEm survives that without incident. Had a close one with a guess on the 6th go but with no concrete evidence of what all the letters were, and I was lucky I got it.
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

Update 4:

Still on first game with 80 rounds played, stats so far are:
1 guess=0
2 guesses=1
3 guesses=7
4 guesses=32
5 guesses=32
6 guesses=8
Losses=0

I ended up with my first 2guess solve. Had 4 of the letters from the word in my first guess (all in the wrong place), and it wasn't too difficult to figure out what the last letter was to complete the word.
ChrisB

Re: Wordle for the BBC Micro & Electron

Post by ChrisB »

Given the lack of bug reports/issues I've promoted this version to the top of the thread.
j6wbs

Re: Wordle for the BBC Micro & Electron

Post by j6wbs »

Lingo is the daytime ITV show which existed before Wordle, and it seemed to have a distinct (unintentional) Beeb flavour today…
DE43A410-760D-466E-A795-BB3B90A9AACC.jpeg

Well done on a great looking Wordle game for the Beeb, definitely worth downloading thanks.

Return to “miscellaneous new bbc and electron games”